MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Highland

Postby drewlee13 » October 15th, 2010, 8:03 am

Rode A loop last night 10/14/2010. Trail was in great shape and covered in leaves. Zero trees down. Didn't see any hunters on the trail but heard two gunshots. One hunter was in the parking lot and asked where to go to avoid the mountain bikers.
drewlee13

Postby WICCMB » October 28th, 2010, 9:50 pm

Had a great ride out at Highland tonight in the dark. Rode loops A, B & D. There was one tree down on the return of B (crosses the trail twice), then another tree down on D. There are lots of twigs and branches down from the wind, but the trail was surprisingly clear!
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby amadkins » October 29th, 2010, 7:46 pm

Saw a bunch of emergency vehicles out near the trailhead on my way home from work tonight. Anyone know what that was about?
amadkins

Postby b_b » November 13th, 2010, 5:22 pm

Had an epic ride out there today abcdab.
Didn't want to leave so did some more.
I love Highland in the fall.
b_b

Postby flamingo » December 5th, 2010, 11:09 pm

Did A, B and C today afternoon. It was already snowing. The trail is hard frozen and it is covered with leafs. It was snowing and the mixture of leafs and snow are starting to make it slippery. My rear wheel span few times on the climbs. Nonetheless it was a great ride for this time of year. Might have been the last time on Highland this year. My favorite trail , I will be missing it during winter.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby mtbfree » March 15th, 2011, 9:36 am

How early does Highland usually become rideable in the spring? Anybody checked it out recently?
I'm just here to ride...

-'15 Transition Scout
-'15 Trek Session 88
-'04 Santa Cruz Chameleon
mtbfree

Postby BSPLEET » March 15th, 2011, 11:40 am

mtbfree wrote:How early does Highland usually become rideable in the spring? Anybody checked it out recently?

I walked b loop on saterday, there is still 8-12 inches of snow in some sections and even deeper in the valleys that don't get alot of sun. It will take longer this yeart because of all the snow. I think we are about 3 or 4 weeks away, before the trail will be dry enough to ride. I will keep you posted. Should avoid right now.

Bob Spleet,
TC Highland Rec.
BSPLEET

Postby flamingo » March 28th, 2011, 4:38 pm

Rode A,B,C,D loops yesterday. The conditions were good because the trail was still frozen. However on few spots where the sun was getting through the trees, it started getting muddy so I had to either walk or ride around. With the weather warming up the trail will get soft, so I guess we will have to wait a bit unless it freezes again. Run into couple fellows from MMBA who were out with the chain saw to cut the fallen trees. The D loop still had few spots with snow on them. It was good to be back on this trail.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby drewlee13 » April 9th, 2011, 3:21 pm

Road A loop and despite the rain yesterday the trial was in perfect shape. I would have expected it to be muddy, but it was dry and fast. What a great ride.

-Randy
drewlee13

Postby str8flush24 » April 17th, 2011, 6:21 pm

Went out this evening and trail was in great shape. Did A & B cutoff. Large two trunk tree down just into the trail before the small bridge. Going to take some work to remove that one. There is also a smaller tree down just into the B loop cutoff. With all the wind today I am surprised thats all there was.
Thanks in advance trail gnomes!
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Postby HKEKfreak » April 18th, 2011, 5:51 am

Taking the chainsaw out this morning for the big guy on A. Hoping the trees on B and D can be handled with my hand saw before the snow gets here.
HKEKfreak

Postby str8flush24 » April 18th, 2011, 8:17 am

HKEKfreak wrote:Taking the chainsaw out this morning for the big guy on A. Hoping the trees on B and D can be handled with my hand saw before the snow gets here.

Thanks sir! By the way...I preferred your old avatar to this one. :?
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Postby BSPLEET » April 18th, 2011, 11:23 am

It?s great you want to do trail work, but you need to coordinate any chain saw work through the TC. All trail work needs to be coordinated with the tc who coordinates everything with the park. So don?t cut any trees, unless you coordinate with the TC.
We also don?t want to duplicate efforts.

Thanks,
Bob Spleet
TC Highland rec. Area
BSPLEET

Postby Builder-Bill » May 6th, 2011, 9:00 pm

Is anyone going to this?

DNR Seeks Feedback on Proposed Regional Trail Connector in Oakland County Contact: William Althoff, 248-889-3750 or Mary Dettloff, 517-335-3014

May 4, 2011

The Department of Natural Resources will conduct a public meeting from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, May 11, concerning the proposed Regional Trail Connector within Highland State Recreation Area in White Lake Township. The meeting will take place at the White Lake Township Hall, located at 7525 Highland Rd. in White Lake.

The purpose of the meeting is to present information regarding the trail and to seek public comment. The DNR and its design consultants, Nowak & Fraus Engineers, will share conceptual drawings to encourage discussion and feedback on the proposed regional trail development. A process for sharing future development plans will also be discussed.

This proposed section of trail will be the first step in what the DNR hopes will eventually be a regional trail that connects Highland State Recreation Area with Pontiac Lake State Recreation Area to the northeast, and Proud Lake State Recreation Area to the south. The goal of the initial design is to create a new trail that begins at Highland's main entrance that will connect to the existing trail system. This multi-purpose trail will accommodate hiking, biking and equestrians.

Local staff will be available to answer questions and receive comments from attendees.

Persons with disabilities needing accommodations for the meeting should contact William Althoff at 248-889-3750, a minimum of five business days before this meeting. Requests made less than five business days before the meeting may not be accommodated.

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural and cultural resources for current and future generations. For more information, go to http://www.michigan.gov/dnr.
Builder-Bill

Postby HiptonRadcliffIII » May 8th, 2011, 9:15 pm

Trail was in really great shape saturday. I rode ABC and no trees or anything. I did get speared by a downed tree somewhere near the end of B. my fault, easily avoided in a flat section. I was going to move it but feared my foot was broken or bleeding (I was really moving when I clipped it) and just pressed on. It'd be nice if some more people rode back half of B and C loop, the leaves need some good chewing up, they are a little slick/loose.
Responsible Consumer Announcement: If the place you buy mountain biking gear from is not at trail days, you need to find a real mountain bike shop.
HiptonRadcliffIII

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions