MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Highland

Postby Nelg » August 6th, 2010, 8:22 am

dawsonn57 wrote:Road yesterday around 5pm.

Huge Oak tree branch down on "C" loop. Between 8 and 8.5 mile mark. Easy reroute to the right.

You will need your chainsaw for this one.

Yeah, about 1 to 1.2 miles in on the C loop. Rest of the trail was in good shape, certainly was more sandy on the areas that got raked this spring.
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby dawsonn57 » August 6th, 2010, 11:06 am

Who clears the leaves in the spring and why only C loop ?
YETI 575
NINER EMD9 SS RIGID
dawsonn57

Postby BSPLEET » August 19th, 2010, 9:23 am

I'm replying to the comment about raking or blowing the leaves off C loop this spring, someone took it upon themselves to do this, did not contact me. I do not think that raking or blowing the leaves off the trail is a good idea, it only promotes erosion, and is a waste of time. Highland has always had a deep woods feel to it and blowing the leaves off the trail takes away from this effect. In the future if anyone has
an issue with the trail they should contact me and we can work together on maintaining the trail. Since fall is not far off I would like to make a suggestion If the leaves are getting deep in a section of trail. I stop get off my bike and grab a stick and clear the deep leaves off the trail, this will get the heavy stuff off the trail, leaving a small coating of leaves on the trail. I think this is something we all can do.

Bob Spleet
TC Highland rec area
BSPLEET

Postby largemelon » August 27th, 2010, 2:37 pm

Dry as a son-of-a-you-know-what out there. The roots are prominent throughout. Let it rain, please.
largemelon

Postby drewlee13 » September 1st, 2010, 8:48 pm

Rode A and D today. Started to rain during the ride which helped with some of the sand. There is a tree down at the 2.5 mile mark.

Even with the rain it was nice to get out.

-Randy
drewlee13

Postby dawsonn57 » September 2nd, 2010, 6:21 am

Good size dead tree down on C loop just before 8.5 mile mark. If you had a couple guys you could probably move it rather than cutting :D
YETI 575
NINER EMD9 SS RIGID
dawsonn57

Postby pharus » September 2nd, 2010, 12:58 pm

Heading out 9/3 for my first ride out there. Sounds like quite a challenging trail.

Are there markers to show where to go from A to B and from B to C?
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby risnewski » September 2nd, 2010, 3:06 pm

Pretty easy to follow but I'd bring a map anyway. I think coming off d can get confusing for folks.
risnewski

Postby pharus » September 4th, 2010, 10:57 pm

Fabulous trail, lived up to its billing at being superbly technical. The signs at the intersections of the loops were great. I occasionally saw little signs that said something like '118 miles', but I didn't know what they meant. I wouldn't mind seeing some other signs out there to correspond with the legend on map. I didn't notice any sand to speak of out there, but it had rained the night before.

I had a crash doing a downhill left hand turn around a big rooty tree soon after the beginning of B, and thought I had broken my right thumb. After a few minutes of pleading it started to move and we were able to keep going. My buddy endo'd on the second of the consecutive log piles. Got through A/B/C and half of D before my buddy bonked and we had to jump to the road to finish.

Can't wait to get out there and try it all again - after my thumb heals.
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby froggyrider » September 6th, 2010, 9:46 am

Hello,

All the new sign posts are in. I also just added a shot Justin got on his camera phone of the trail markers. They all have the new mile markers (this picture is of the split, so no mile marker in that shot). The old ones were from the city for the firefighters... Future plans include GPS'ing the trail now that it has the new B loop cut out (called "B Minus"!). You will see for now there are still the older trail maps on the signs- better than nothing!

Here is the kiosk:

http://picasaweb.google.com/MMBA.MetroS ... 7691884466

trail marker:

http://picasaweb.google.com/MMBA.MetroS ... 5971542370
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby 2whlz » September 10th, 2010, 3:45 pm

Rode Highland A/B/C/D some brush on the trail from the winds the other day. I stopped to toss some off, but still lots of spoke stickers. About a 100 yds into the start of D a tree is down that will need a saw. The trail is is great shape otherwise, the leaves are just starting to fall.
2whlz

Postby onlycrimson » October 7th, 2010, 8:08 pm

Trail was in great shape this morning. I forgot how fun Highland is.
onlycrimson

Postby str8flush24 » October 7th, 2010, 8:46 pm

Any hunters out there when you rode?
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Postby HKEKfreak » October 9th, 2010, 12:43 pm

str8flush24 wrote:Any hunters out there when you rode?

Rode A,B & C on Thursday and A & D today and didn't see a single hunter. Come to think of it, I haven't seen one at all this year during small game season. I don't think I'll press my luck in November though. That gun's a lot bigger :shock:

-Michael Scott
.......that's what she said.
HKEKfreak

Postby str8flush24 » October 11th, 2010, 9:01 am

Trail was in amazing shape Sunday. Only hunter I saw was in the parking lot.
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions