MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Highland

Postby 2whlz » May 25th, 2010, 9:29 am

Hey, The trail (A + D) was in great shape last night. I saw some fresh blood on the D loop rock scramble close to Beaumont. - MINE.
2whlz

Postby hala514 » May 26th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Rode all the loops tonight. 8" Tree down on C loop, maybe a mile in?

Some fresh horse poo was somewhere near the trail on D loop because I could smell it constantly. But it was not on the MTB trail.

I love riding the rest of A loop after finishing the D loop. I feel like I am super fast back to the parking lot.
hala514

Postby mtbdudex » May 26th, 2010, 9:38 pm

Rode A/B/C/D tonight, started about 5:45pm-ish, no granny gear this time kept it in middle ring.
That's some workout! 2+ hours of sweet, technical trail.

The tree down on C loop is at about the 7 mile mark, no other down trees on the other loops.

I'm kinda surprised at some of the muddy/leafy sections have not dried out more, definitely they suck some energy outta you.
There is not a whole lot of them, but a few you just have to pedal thru them.
Overall trail in great condition, though obvious D is hardly rode on compared to A/B.

My buddy Dan Harrison, wherever you are thx again for cutting this trail!

btw, what's up with the grave or memorial on B loop?
I'd like to know more of the story behind that, to pay respect as I ride by.
mtbdudex

Postby str8flush24 » May 26th, 2010, 10:13 pm

see page 7 of this thread....
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Postby SteveF » May 27th, 2010, 6:50 am

hala514 wrote:Rode all the loops tonight. 8" Tree down on C loop, maybe a mile in?

Some fresh horse poo was somewhere near the trail on D loop because I could smell it constantly. But it was not on the MTB trail.

I love riding the rest of A loop after finishing the D loop. I feel like I am super fast back to the parking lot.

The horse trail does cross the connector from B loop to D loop--look for the sandy, wide, not fun to bike on trail perpendicular to the connector.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby hala514 » May 27th, 2010, 7:21 am

What is a "good" time for all the loops? I did them in 1:59:09 and felt super slow. The heat was definately getting to me though. I had a two minute stop that is not included in my time.
hala514

Postby washedout » May 27th, 2010, 7:33 am

hala514 wrote:What is a "good" time for all the loops? I did them in 1:59:09 and felt super slow. The heat was definately getting to me though. I had a two minute stop that is not included in my time.

Doing all 4 loops is always a 'good time'!!! :D
washedout

Postby ramiam764 » May 29th, 2010, 3:12 pm

Did the whole alphabet and the trail was in great condition. Only spotted one rider on the tail end of D. The tree is still down on C and will need a chainsaw to remove. There is also a leaner on the tail end of C which you can duck under otherwise trail is in great shape. The nice mid-morning breeze kept the skeeters at bay.
ramiam764

Postby Dboes » June 8th, 2010, 1:56 pm

I hit A,B,C Monday night and the trail was muuudddyyy. Since it is mostly uphill the entire way at Highland it usually drains well so I was surprised. A couple of the bigger uphills were real bad. Fun if you like playing in the mud and slipping on the rocks.
Dboes

Metro South: Highland

Postby misscrashalot » June 12th, 2010, 2:38 pm

Rode all four loops today. No trees down, but there are still some muddy areas. Rocks and roots are a slick, so watch out. Very jungle like out there, so don't stop for too long or the vampires will get you.
misscrashalot

Postby WICCMB » June 15th, 2010, 9:29 pm

Rode all 4 loops on Sunday afternoon. The new mileage markers are very cool, especially since it numbers the mileage assuming you ride ALL of the loops! Who goes out to Highland and doesn't ride all of the loops - that's just a wasted day!
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby DRC » June 17th, 2010, 7:20 am

Rode the four loops last night - tree down on first half of B and one down on D as well. Both will require chain saw removal. Other than that, trail is in great shape and the new mile markers are really nice.

I want to say there was another tree down on the second half of B but for some reason it's all running together and I can't remember for sure. At any rate - definitely had to get off the bike and climb over all trees that were down.
DRC

Postby jwhitey » June 22nd, 2010, 3:21 pm

Does anyone have an update for today?
jwhitey

Postby SteveF » June 25th, 2010, 8:09 am

WishIcouldcatchmybreath wrote:Rode all 4 loops on Sunday afternoon. The new mileage markers are very cool, especially since it numbers the mileage assuming you ride ALL of the loops! Who goes out to Highland and doesn't ride all of the loops - that's just a wasted day!

Heh, I've only skipped a loop twice, once when I broke my thumb the other when I broke my rear derailer...
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby hala514 » June 26th, 2010, 8:05 pm

Rode A,B,D this morning. It was super sweet, not muddy whatsoever. Lots of deers and mersquiters.
hala514

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions