MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Highland

Postby MediumRB » August 23rd, 2013, 12:15 pm

flamingo wrote:
Highland is the only metro Detroit trail where I feel like I'm ACTUALLY mountain biking

+1

+1 more.
Everything I ride makes sense.
MediumRB

Postby flamingo » August 24th, 2013, 7:21 am

It was pretty dry and loose last night.
flamingo

Postby c0nsumer » August 24th, 2013, 3:23 pm

Seemed good today, with some sandy and loose stuff. One day I might make all the rocky climbs... I bobbled on a few today.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby turbotodd » August 29th, 2013, 8:12 am

rode A and B last night. Small tree down in the first few miles, can easily ride over it.
Second tree down is before the 5.5 mile marker on B, will require a chainsaw. I had to dismount and climb over this one.
Third larger tree is down somewhere on B, but conveniently it split across the trail so it's not really an issue.

a few small puddles at the beginning of A, otherwise trail was in great shape. Don't stop moving or you'll get eaten alive by flies.

also, only at Highland are there these little pod-shaped bur things that stick to me like velcro, anyone know what plant they're from?
turbotodd

Postby tmbrown » August 29th, 2013, 11:18 am

turbotodd wrote:rode A and B last night. Small tree down in the first few miles, can easily ride over it.
Second tree down is before the 5.5 mile marker on B, will require a chainsaw. I had to dismount and climb over this one.
Third larger tree is down somewhere on B, but conveniently it split across the trail so it's not really an issue.

a few small puddles at the beginning of A, otherwise trail was in great shape. Don't stop moving or you'll get eaten alive by flies.

also, only at Highland are there these little pod-shaped bur things that stick to me like velcro, anyone know what plant they're from?

I’m not sure what those are, I know what you’re talking about they stick to everything very annoying.

I cleared the small trees on B with my handsaw late yesterday.
We plan on doing some trail maintenance later today, clear some of the sand and replant some rocks and get that tree on top of ten log hill.

Did anybody make out to C & D loop...If so a report of downed trees would be appreciated?
tmbrown

Postby jonw9 » August 31st, 2013, 6:58 pm

C was clear today that I recall.
There is a tree down on D, shortly after the bailout to the dirt road. Entering there would be very convenient.
Another smaller tree down a bit later on D, I don't know the distance. That one was like 2" diameter and easily ridden.
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby tmbrown » August 31st, 2013, 9:04 pm

Thanks I rode the whole trail Friday.
That tree on D has a three leaf vine growing around it…I started itching just looking at it.
I’ll get it Sunday morning when I have some gloves on.
tmbrown

Postby tmbrown » September 6th, 2013, 11:17 am

There’s a large tree down on B past the 5 mile post, it’s at the bottom of the hill after that nice technical downhill.

Watch your speed its down in a fast area...
tmbrown

Postby ChrisInYpsi » September 8th, 2013, 1:47 pm

Rode A-B-C-D today and the only tree down was the one after the downhill at ~5 miles on B. All else was clear.

Highland rocks! Love this trail.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby tmbrown » September 9th, 2013, 11:01 am

Above Tree Cleared.
tmbrown

Postby tmbrown » September 11th, 2013, 11:24 am

New tree down about 50 yards past the one we cleared Sunday. :?
tmbrown

Postby Negaunee » September 11th, 2013, 12:52 pm

Rode ABC today (Wednesday, 9/11). There are two large, albeit a bit rotten, trees down across the trail and off the ground a bit. The first is just before the 4 mile marker and the second is a little after the 5 mile marker. Both I think are chainsaw worthy. I didn't ride D so can't speak to that. The trail otherwise is nice but starting to get a little loose and gravelly. I had a few little slips that I wasn't expecting. Could use a light rain to firm things up a bit. Was a fun ride though. Glad the cooler weather is coming back, drank my camelback dry today.
Negaunee

Postby fsr1 » September 11th, 2013, 6:52 pm

Negaunee wrote:Rode ABC today (Wednesday, 9/11). There are two large, albeit a bit rotten, trees down across the trail and off the ground a bit. The first is just before the 4 mile marker and the second is a little after the 5 mile marker. Both I think are chainsaw worthy. I didn't ride D so can't speak to that. The trail otherwise is nice but starting to get a little loose and gravelly. I had a few little slips that I wasn't expecting. Could use a light rain to firm things up a bit. Was a fun ride though. Glad the cooler weather is coming back, drank my camelback dry today.

Request for rain granted.
Mark Dombrowski
Asst. Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby coreytrek » September 14th, 2013, 11:11 am

All is clear as of today. Note that its a reverse ride today!!
coreytrek

Postby MediumRB » September 14th, 2013, 1:03 pm

coreytrek wrote:All is clear as of today. Note that its a reverse ride today!!

+1 - great riding conditions.
Everything I ride makes sense.
MediumRB

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments