MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Highland

Postby GorillaCookies » July 5th, 2009, 8:15 pm

I rode A & B today for the first time in two years the trail was perfect. I forgot how great this trail is. Whoever trimmed the overgrowth thanks you did a great job.

Matt
GorillaCookies

Postby PYRO » July 10th, 2009, 3:32 pm

The Highland Trails are marked with GPS tags, look for them on your next ride, let me know if you've seen them. While I was on the Highland Fire Dept (16yrs) we had a number of lost or injured hikers and bikers on the mountain bike trails. We would get cell calls or people would leave their injured friend behind to go get help. It was always difficult to locate injured people on the trails because they couldn't tell us exactly where they were. During our drills, at the fire hall and on the trails, several of us suggested marking the trails with GPS coordinates so we can use a GPS to go straight in to the injured individual. So please pass this information on to our fellow Mountain Bikers that the trails are marked with GPS coordinates. Just give the GPS Coordinates to the 911 dispatcher and the Fire Fighters can use them to find you quickly (Yes cell phones have GPS but not everyone has it turned on or the batteries go dead before they are located).
PYRO

Postby thejode » July 10th, 2009, 8:27 pm

Now that I understand why they are there :oops: I won't get grumpy about how ugly and distracting they are. Thanks for the info. 8)
thejode

Postby MikeBl » July 10th, 2009, 10:16 pm

A,B and D were clear with no trees down, fast but very dry and sandy in some spots.
MikeBl

Postby c0nsumer » July 12th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Rode all loops for the first time today. Everything seemed very nicely dry, but not overly so, and no trees down. Nice trail, too.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby jkkfam89 » July 13th, 2009, 10:55 am

Rode Sunday.

Very good condition on A and B

Love this trail.
jkkfam89

Postby purvis76 » July 13th, 2009, 3:03 pm

Love the Highland Trail. I have the luxury to ride from home for a warm up, Have not hit the c loop as of yet, maybe this week with the nice weather i might have a chance. Do any of you guys here do any racing? if so what loops have guys done?
purvis76

Postby ibisman » July 13th, 2009, 6:33 pm

+Awsome! Todays my 58th birthday so I always do Highland. I did all four loops and finished at 2:17. way harder than I remember it. The first three loops were dry and some erosion here and there. D loop kinda grown over. Nice day!
ibisman

Postby detroitjohnny » July 21st, 2009, 10:36 pm

rode this today. I can definitely say WOW. nice trail, and props to the TC and all others that work on it.

I came down for work today and took advantage of the trip to do some riding. I rode A+B+C+D for a total of 17.3 miles in 2 hours 15 minutes, including the times I went back to ride features I missed and to ride them again too.

I'd love to get some real time on this trail cause it kept feeling like I was holding back because I don't know what's coming around the corner.

what a blast!!!!

johnny
detroitjohnny

Postby Cerget » July 30th, 2009, 5:41 am

Here I am writing about Highland again, so you know it was an Epic ride. Rode ABCD in 102 minutes and felt so great and was loving the trail so much I did ABCD again in 101 minutes. Did the two lapper for a total of 3:23 and some change. The trail was in prefect shape. The rain in the morning set up for sweet and tacky conditions. No trees down and there were a couple of areas on B and D loop where the side of the trail has been bush wacked - nice job! Also, you could see where 2 large trees had recently fell and have been removed, thank you very much.
Cerget

Postby alec » August 16th, 2009, 11:05 pm

Finally rode Highland for the first time today. Fantastic! I definitely plan to go back often.

One suggestion though. I don't think the 16.2 miles listed in the trail guide is accurate. Unless my computer is way off - which I don't think it is, I think all 4 loops end up totaling more than 17 miles. Normally, a discrepancy like this wouldn't matter much, but there are some strangely numbered signs as well that caused us some confusion. Near the end of our ride, after my computer had rolled past 16.2 miles and we were back on the final part of the A loop, we saw some yellow numbers counting down from 8 to 1. It seemed about right to be counting down to the trail head, but then after the 1, new green signs started counting down from 50. What the heck? After 48, we became convinced that we must have missed a turn and doubled back. Of course it turns out that we were almost back in the first place. Anyway, perhaps a double check on the mileage and/or a reassuring sign that you are indeed almost back to the trail head when the green 50 sign appears would be in order. Anyone else get confused by this the first time they rode there? Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, fantastic trail. Many thanks to those of you who work so hard to make it so awesome. I'll be back.
alec

Postby bergsteiger » August 17th, 2009, 6:00 am

alec wrote:Finally rode Highland for the first time today. Fantastic! I definitely plan to go back often.

One suggestion though. I don't think the 16.2 miles listed in the trail guide is accurate. Unless my computer is way off - which I don't think it is, I think all 4 loops end up totaling more than 17 miles. Normally, a discrepancy like this wouldn't matter much, but there are some strangely numbered signs as well that caused us some confusion. Near the end of our ride, after my computer had rolled past 16.2 miles and we were back on the final part of the A loop, we saw some yellow numbers counting down from 8 to 1. It seemed about right to be counting down to the trail head, but then after the 1, new green signs started counting down from 50. What the heck? After 48, we became convinced that we must have missed a turn and doubled back. Of course it turns out that we were almost back in the first place. Anyway, perhaps a double check on the mileage and/or a reassuring sign that you are indeed almost back to the trail head when the green 50 sign appears would be in order. Anyone else get confused by this the first time they rode there? Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, fantastic trail. Many thanks to those of you who work so hard to make it so awesome. I'll be back.

unsure on the exact mileage my computer gives for the 4 loops, but the numbers on those signs mostly in the A loop were put up by the fire rescue people from the area to help locate hurt people. there are mileage marks but they are there mostly for the A dn B loops when combined I think.
bergsteiger

Postby yetidog » August 23rd, 2009, 12:26 pm

Large tree down on Loop D, if riding all loops in order, the tree is at mile 15.
yetidog

Postby Ecruz » September 5th, 2009, 12:57 pm

Anyone know what all of the orange paint on the A loop is for? It was everywhere, rocks, trees, logs, roots.
Ecruz

Postby r21954 » September 5th, 2009, 6:15 pm

we have a paint problem at holdridge on Grubers Orchard loop, some no thinking teens dressed in all black didn't know the forest belonged to all of us. we have 6's on trees, x's n O's on the plant life, peace signs on the path and graffiti all over our bridges. Hope fully they'll grow out of it; Ron Arnott Holly/Flint T.C.
r21954

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions