MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Highland

Postby b_b » May 9th, 2013, 12:01 pm

Seems like a lot less work for the awesome volunteers to lay the logs length wise rather than perpendicular. Consider it a bridge.
b_b

Postby MediumRB » May 11th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Great conditions today. The trail gnome fixes were all tasteful. I removed a couple down tree hazards and tried to kick some fill into the only puddle still there.
Everything I ride makes sense.
MediumRB

Postby Kazie » May 12th, 2013, 11:52 pm

A tree is down about 50-100 yards before the B-C split. A hand saw will do it for it's no more than 3" in diameter. I didn't have one. Except that, the trail condition was great on A+B this evening (5/12), mostly dry and occasionally adequately moist.
//Kazie on black'n'copper '11 Epic 'GAIA V2'
Kazie

Postby Brother Crank » May 22nd, 2013, 7:10 am

Rode some of B and all of C and D yesterday evening. The only things to report are on D loop. There were a couple saplings that were knocked/bent over the trail between the 13 and 13.5 markers. I bent them out of the way the best I could... with the storm last night they're probably back. And then just before the 14 mile marker there is part of a tree over the trail. It's a substantial piece, but nothing a hand saw can't handle.
"Why should anyone steal a watch when he could steal a bicycle?" Flann O'Brien
Brother Crank

Postby surly » May 29th, 2013, 1:41 pm

iamkickstand wrote:
Critter7r wrote:
iamkickstand wrote:
honkonbobo wrote:rode it today. HUGE improvement. thanks!

I beg to differ. Why pave the trail where it isn't needed?

IIRC, that is one of those areas that would remain soggy well into the season and also for a much longer period than the rest of the trail after a rain.

I enjoyed the section with the couple of rocks and the logs layed down into the mud, rather than a long boardwalk I think it would have been cool to stick with the tech that was already in that section by adding rocks instead. Maybe not as sustainable, but the boardwalk feel isn't for me and doesn't fit well with what highland is. IMO.

I do agree it is a good improvement/solution to a problem, i'd just rather see less paving and more creative ways to keep the rocks and tech that a trail has grown to have.

What a very well worded and repectful way to share your opinion.
Thank you
surly

Postby Gfish29 » May 29th, 2013, 11:56 pm

There are at least 2 trees down on B loop, they are not very large. One is just after the first climb, at the start of the B loop. The second one is a surprise at the end of the Downhill just before the B-C intersection. This one is dangerous as it is elevated 2-3 feet up and you will have little time to react. I tried like heck to move it out of there, but it is too long and heavy. A handsaw would do if someone gets the chance.

I think there may be another tree, but can't remember where. I crashed into that downhill tree, so I remember it best.

Also, there are many face slappers now. Some full body slappers too!
Gfish29

Postby tmbrown » May 30th, 2013, 8:52 pm

The above trees are cleared on B-loop and the one on D-loop I cleared yesterday.

Dam rain got me two days in a row. :(
tmbrown

Postby bax » June 2nd, 2013, 5:40 pm

Well it turned out to be a great day for a ride! A-B-D clear, one large tree accross C about 1/4 mile from where it merges back to B. Trail in perfect shape. 8)
bax

Postby gw.nutta » June 3rd, 2013, 5:14 pm

Uggh! Hit all 4 loops this afternoon only to realize half way thru the D-loop that I didn't zip the pocket on my jersey and my key and remote were not longer nestled in the pocket. It is a key with a black plastic handle attached to a GM OEM type remote. If anyone stumbles upon it, can you shoot me an email (gw.nutter@yahoo.com). I'll come snag it from you and give you a reward for your troubles. Thanks!! (yes, I did post this on the Lost and Found but thought I'd hit this forum too)

As far as trail conditions go, it is perfect! Other than the tree down in C (mentioned above).
gw.nutta

Postby Jered Michael » June 9th, 2013, 7:36 pm

It looks like several logs were removed recently on the B loop right around 10 log hill (I think). Just wondering if that was sanctioned or coordinated with the TC.
Thanks!

Great ride today. Slow going but always a great work-out at Highland.
Jered Michael

Postby tmbrown » June 9th, 2013, 9:40 pm

No… and they have been replaced, and the downed tree just after has been cleared.
It’s refreshing to know that you remember 10 log hills; apparently 10 log hill has a history of log removal! :shock:
tmbrown

Postby Bcar » June 11th, 2013, 10:40 am

as of sunday trail was rockin! love this place...
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby shredbetty61 » June 12th, 2013, 5:32 pm

I could see this is a really great trail, but now am a little scared after a bad wipeout today. The rocks and roots were moist and slippery and I fell going downhill over some rough spot. What can I do other than practice? 1st time there after doing Bishop Lake-Murphy Lake, Mayberry , Island Lake, Olsen. feeling tentative.....
shredbetty61

Postby c0nsumer » June 12th, 2013, 7:09 pm

shredbetty61 wrote:I could see this is a really great trail, but now am a little scared after a bad wipeout today. The rocks and roots were moist and slippery and I fell going downhill over some rough spot. What can I do other than practice? 1st time there after doing Bishop Lake-Murphy Lake, Mayberry , Island Lake, Olsen. feeling tentative.....

Ride more. Highland is definitely more technical than Maybury, ILRA, and most other trails in the area. Also, wet rocks and roots make things harder.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby MediumRB » June 12th, 2013, 8:34 pm

Yeah, Highland is tough enough when dry, but add any wet to all the roots and rocks and it can be a hard time. I am always dreading D loop because it has some tough spots and my ability to negotiate them after sloggin through A+B+C is diminished.
Everything I ride makes sense.
MediumRB

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments