MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Highland

Postby barry1me » April 30th, 2013, 7:43 pm

I rode trail A today and it wasnt to bad, a few wet spots but not terrible.
barry1me

Postby c0nsumer » May 4th, 2013, 10:51 pm

It was really nice out there today, although we only did A and half of B. Ran into a crew of folks building an excellent split log bridge. Great work guys, and it was nice talking to you there and after.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby tmbrown » May 5th, 2013, 8:49 am

Before
After

That was a fun project.
It was nice meeting you and Jeremy and haven a few pops after, and that one sweat ride you have. We will have to get together for a ride on your side of town, and check out Stony and Bloomer.

Terry
tmbrown

Postby irishpitbull » May 5th, 2013, 10:48 am

Your guys are rockstars, thanks!
2014 S-Works Epic
2013 Epic Expert Evo R Carbon
2012 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 29r
2013 CruX Expert Carbon Disc
2014 Surly Pugsley
irishpitbull

Postby honkonbobo » May 5th, 2013, 5:35 pm

rode it today. HUGE improvement. thanks!
honkonbobo

Postby iamkickstand » May 8th, 2013, 6:00 pm

honkonbobo wrote:rode it today. HUGE improvement. thanks!

I beg to differ. Why pave the trail where it isn't needed?
iamkickstand

Postby Critter7r » May 9th, 2013, 6:55 am

iamkickstand wrote:

IIRC, that is one of those areas that would remain soggy well into the season and also for a much longer period than the rest of the trail after a rain.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby iamkickstand » May 9th, 2013, 7:55 am

Critter7r wrote:
iamkickstand wrote:

IIRC, that is one of those areas that would remain soggy well into the season and also for a much longer period than the rest of the trail after a rain.

I enjoyed the section with the couple of rocks and the logs layed down into the mud, rather than a long boardwalk I think it would have been cool to stick with the tech that was already in that section by adding rocks instead. Maybe not as sustainable, but the boardwalk feel isn't for me and doesn't fit well with what highland is. IMO.

I do agree it is a good improvement/solution to a problem, i'd just rather see less paving and more creative ways to keep the rocks and tech that a trail has grown to have.
iamkickstand

Postby c0nsumer » May 9th, 2013, 8:05 am

iamkickstand wrote:I enjoyed the section with the couple of rocks and the logs layed down into the mud, rather than a long boardwalk I think it would have been cool to stick with the tech that was already in that section by adding rocks instead. Maybe not as sustainable, but the boardwalk feel isn't for me and doesn't fit well with what highland is. IMO.

I do agree it is a good improvement/solution to a problem, i'd just rather see less paving and more creative ways to keep the rocks and tech that a trail has grown to have.

I strongly encourage you to come on out to one such trail day and get involved with repairing such issues instead of just sniping and criticizing from the sidelines. The folks who take care of Highland have been doing so for years and have a long history of doing what is right for that trail.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby iamkickstand » May 9th, 2013, 8:47 am

c0nsumer wrote:
iamkickstand wrote:I enjoyed the section with the couple of rocks and the logs layed down into the mud, rather than a long boardwalk I think it would have been cool to stick with the tech that was already in that section by adding rocks instead. Maybe not as sustainable, but the boardwalk feel isn't for me and doesn't fit well with what highland is. IMO.

I strongly encourage you to come on out to one such trail day and get involved with repairing such issues instead of just sniping and criticizing from the sidelines. The folks who take care of Highland have been doing so for years and have a long history of doing what is right for that trail.
OK. I'll do that.

Highland is a great trail, part of why I like it is because it isn't paved as badly as some of the rest of them. I have no doubt that the people that maintain it have the trails best interest in mind, regardless of who did it, or who didn't do it, or how you receive the criticism it's still removing part of what "I" enjoy most about highland.

I'm sorry that voicing that opinion is sniping and criticism to you.
iamkickstand

Postby irishpitbull » May 9th, 2013, 9:29 am

iamkickstand wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:

OK. I'll do that.

Highland is a great trail, part of why I like it is because it isn't paved as badly as some of the rest of them. I have no doubt that the people that maintain it have the trails best interest in mind, regardless of who did it, or who didn't do it, or how you receive the criticism it's still removing part of what "I" enjoy most about highland.

I'm sorry that voicing that opinion is sniping and criticism to you.

Communists. :mrgreen:
2014 S-Works Epic
2013 Epic Expert Evo R Carbon
2012 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 29r
2013 CruX Expert Carbon Disc
2014 Surly Pugsley
irishpitbull

Postby Critter7r » May 9th, 2013, 9:47 am

While it's a great repair and I appreciate the work, I also wondered why the crew hadn't simply dug up the old logs and installed new ones perpendicular to the trail in the same manner as what was already there. As far as sustainability is concerned, those logs and rocks had been in place for the better part of 20 years prior to this repair. if it's the section I'm thinking it is, then I added a few logs to that stretch myself more than a decade ago.

Not a snipe, just a comment.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby iamkickstand » May 9th, 2013, 11:09 am

Critter7r wrote:While it's a great repair and I appreciate the work, I also wondered why the crew hadn't simply dug up the old logs and installed new ones perpendicular to the trail in the same manner as what was already there. As far as sustainability is concerned, those logs and rocks had been in place for the better part of 20 years prior to this repair. if it's the section I'm thinking it is, then I added a few logs to that stretch myself more than a decade ago.

Not a snipe, just a comment.

This is where I am at.
iamkickstand

Postby AllMountin' » May 9th, 2013, 11:43 am

Think of it as adding a 'skinny' to the trail, but with zero opportunity for failure. :-)
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby AllMountin' » May 9th, 2013, 11:43 am

Last edited by AllMountin' on May 9th, 2013, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments