MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Highland

Postby Paul Brown » March 25th, 2009, 2:26 pm

sdycha wrote:Isn't it odd? Some of the places are still nasty and this trail seems good. I was hoping to get over the bridge (from Windsor Ont. Canada this weekend. Our trails near the bridge and south end of town are 3 feet deep in some places. Down toward east end across from Peche Island, the trail was literally bone dry almost everywhere. I could not believe it. Hopefully someone can post as to the conditions at Highland sometime before Sunday. Peace. MY FIRST ever post here.. What a great site..and your parks are magnificent, well kept and the people in USA are awesome too.

What was really odd was being in low areas of the trail and seeing high water on either side of the trail which was partly frozen still, yet the trail was dry. It must have been the trail design best I can figure.
Paul Brown

Postby bh357 » March 25th, 2009, 7:58 pm

Does anyone know how Highland handled today's rain? Looking to ride tomorrow or Friday.
bh357

Postby gearswhatgears » March 26th, 2009, 9:11 am

It didnt rain a ton here, but enough to slop it up I would imagine. I would wait til Friday. If you do end up going let me know, maybe Ill be out there or join ya.
gearswhatgears

Postby Snooker » March 26th, 2009, 6:20 pm

I'm looking to hit up Highland this weekend. I'm a single speeder from Ohio. Wondering if Highland is okay to ride, and if anybody else will be riding Sunday morning.
Snooker

Postby KRUG » March 26th, 2009, 8:00 pm

Just finished A,B, and C loops and they are in great shape. The bike came home clean.

Krug
KRUG

Postby SteveF » March 27th, 2009, 6:36 am

Snooker wrote:I'm looking to hit up Highland this weekend. I'm a single speeder from Ohio. Wondering if Highland is okay to ride, and if anybody else will be riding Sunday morning.

Check the weather before you make the trip--s'posed to get a lot of rain saturday overnight, and changing to a snow mix sunday...
SteveF

Postby steveracer » March 28th, 2009, 12:00 pm

Weather Saturday is great, so ride today.

Trail is great, I rode Friday. Watch out on the downhills with some deep leaf cover, there may be some small surprises in some places.

This place is great and the views through the bare trees are enjoyable on the stops I had to make due to being out of shape from the mostly unridable winter.

Enjoy
steveracer

Postby Cerget » March 28th, 2009, 6:39 pm

It was absolutely beautiful out there today, the view through the trees is amazing. Great job to the crew that swept the A and C loops, also the tree clearing on the D loop. Last fall there was a good section that got trashed by the winds, we hiked the hill to get around it in about 2" of snow. It?s all cleaned up, just a couple of trees to go under and over. Rode ABCDA in 2:08, so it?s pretty fast. The trail is completely dry, it was in great shape. To bad it's going to start raining tonight. It's amazing that there is still ice on the ponds back there.
Last edited by Cerget on March 30th, 2009, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cerget

Postby i69whitey » March 29th, 2009, 12:16 pm

thanks to all who cleaned up after winter, first time back since studded tire season.
couple low hanging trees to get under for us tall saddled folk but all in all, perfect.
c loop was swept clean and felt like mid-season. what a rush,
thanks again! the best trail in the 6 county area is still #1.
i69whitey

Postby kcnado » March 29th, 2009, 2:07 pm

The trail held up very well after last nights rain!

I'm no soil expert, but seems to me that the areas cleared of leaves were actually in a lot better condition this morning than areas that haven't yet been swept.

Happy Riding Season Everyone!
kcnado

Postby plaindave » April 5th, 2009, 5:06 pm

Rode A, B and C loops early this morning. A few soft spots in B after the C loop, but in general darn near perfect riding conditions. The wind over the last few days blew the leaves back on the trail, so if you don't like leaves on the trail I'd avoid riding it.
plaindave

Postby KLydesdale » April 5th, 2009, 8:41 pm

plaindave wrote:The wind over the last few days blew the leaves back on the trail

Reason #1 why raking leaves off the trail is almost a complete waste of time.
KLydesdale

Postby Cerget » April 10th, 2009, 8:56 pm

Anybody been out after the snow fall this week? Thinking of going tomorrow.
Cerget

Postby normlobo » April 10th, 2009, 8:59 pm

rode today around 3-5. quite a few trees down and 2 or 3 spots that were very wet. it was still fun though, the wind today will probably help dry out a little more.
normlobo

Postby WICCMB » April 10th, 2009, 10:40 pm

normlobo wrote:rode today around 3-5. quite a few trees down and 2 or 3 spots that were very wet. it was still fun though, the wind today will probably help dry out a little more.

That's a bummer, the trail was clear of trees and and in near perfect shape last weekend.
WICCMB
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions