MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

MCMBA: Highland

Postby Todd Scott » March 22nd, 2004, 8:26 am

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Highland SRA
Last edited by Todd Scott on January 4th, 2007, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todd Scott

Postby Mr. Bojangles » March 22nd, 2004, 7:31 pm

a few trees down on A loop around miles 1 and 2ish.
Bloomer Trail Coordinator
Mr. Bojangles

Postby Ecruz » March 23rd, 2004, 5:02 pm

besides the trees, what kind of condition is it in?
Ecruz

Postby Highlander » March 24th, 2004, 7:06 pm

I rode highland Sunday morn about 9:00. It was still frozen until I got to the "C" loop junction and stated getting squishy under the leaves due to the temperature rise & the sun poking through trees. I ended up bailing out on to Beaumont road. Unless the trail is frozen, forget it for a couple of weeks.

Gary
Highlander

Postby Honolua » March 25th, 2004, 6:05 pm

I have ridden Highland twice this week. The trails are not bad. I really thought that it was going to be super muddy today, but it was fine. There is a pretty big tree overlapping the trail on the very last downhill right before the single track meets the two way. It's too big to ride over (for my bike anyway), and I am too small to move it myself. Just to let you know.
My picture is scratch and sniff!!
Honolua

Postby Diesel » March 25th, 2004, 8:45 pm

I am (un)officially declaring Highland OPEN!!! Rode it today (just the A loop, actually :wink: ) and it is in nice shape. Very few muddy spots. My bike is not even dirty. Lots of leaves covering the trail. I rode in shorts :P !!!

Watch out for the big tree down on the downhill just shy of the finish!!! It's pretty big...will need a chain saw to remove.
W.W.M.D.D.
What would Matt Damon do???

www.teamsandbag.com
Diesel

Postby K2Beast » March 26th, 2004, 12:53 am

Sub22 wrote:I am (un)officially declaring Highland OPEN!!! Rode it today (just the A loop, actually :wink: ) and it is in nice shape. Very few muddy spots. My bike is not even dirty. Lots of leaves covering the trail. I rode in shorts :P !!!

Watch out for the big tree down on the downhill just shy of the finish!!! It's pretty big...will need a chain saw to remove.

:D To my knowledge Highland Recreation Area is "OPEN" 24-7-365... I have never been ticketed or asked to leave. EVER :!: :D Thanks for the tip about the downed tree at the end of the A Loop... is that before or after the D Loop connection :?: Were the downed trees at the "1 and 2-ish" mile marks removed :?:
:arrow: Is a forestry permit / DNR permission required to cut down trees :?:
Adam aka K2Beast (FR/DH/XC) .__ :twisted:
GT Zaskar (rigid) - - - - - - - - - \ <
Azonic DS1 (SS/rigid) - - - - (( )) (( ))
Yeti AS-X (DH/Freeride) -------------
Surly 1x1 (SS/rigid)
Diamondback Drifter
K2Beast

Postby Diesel » March 26th, 2004, 10:30 pm

K2Beast wrote: :D To my knowledge Highland Recreation Area is "OPEN" 24-7-365...:D Thanks for the tip about the downed tree at the end of the A Loop... is that before or after the D Loop connection :?: Were the downed trees at the "1 and 2-ish" mile marks removed :?:

Yeah, it is always "open", thats why my announcement was UNofficial. I have absolutely no authority concerning that trail, and apologize if my verbage implied that I might.

The downed tree is after the D loop, almost back to the two-way at the start of the trail.

The tree I mentioned was the only one blocking the trail on the A loop, so any others on that loop must have already been removed.
W.W.M.D.D.
What would Matt Damon do???

www.teamsandbag.com
Diesel

Postby MountainMike » March 27th, 2004, 3:44 pm

The trail is in great condition. I had a great rdie this morning and ended up with no mud on my bike.
~Mike

Every reality was once a possibility
MountainMike

highland

Postby konarider » March 27th, 2004, 9:04 pm

Rode highland today (late afternoon), A loop was dry, B loop had a few spots that required me to bail and walk (a few uphill sections were wet), and D was fine.
konarider

Postby thejode » March 27th, 2004, 10:26 pm

K2Beast wrote:Is a forestry permit / DNR permission required to cut down trees :?:

Yes. I would contact the trail coordinator (rspleet@ghafariesg.com) to help you get a permit if you need to cut tress. Would love to see Highland cleared.
thejode

Highland condition

Postby WishIcouldcatchmybreath » March 28th, 2004, 6:03 pm

There were several groups of people out at Highland today, and it was a great ride. Conditions on the trail were excellent, althogh the leaves did obscure some roots and rocks in a few areas - nothing out of the ordinary there. There were 4 or 5 isolated areas were there was still mud, but these areas should dry out fairly quickly (all but one were on short uphill sections of the trail, the other was a natural low area with logs). I'd give the trail a 99.5% rideability rating.

We rode all 4 loops, and there was only one tree left that is obstructing the trail. This tree was on the C loop just before the "bowl" area with the switchbacked descent, and then the long switchbacked ascent. There was also one area on the C loop (about a mile in) with a lot of thorny overgrowth - if anyone has some pruners and is riding out there, this could be trimmed back in 10 minutes or so.

:D
WishIcouldcatchmybreath

Re: Highland condition

Postby hockeydaddy » March 28th, 2004, 8:28 pm

WishIcouldcatchmybreath wrote:There were several groups of people out at Highland today, and it was a great ride. Conditions on the trail were excellent, althogh the leaves did obscure some roots and rocks in a few areas - nothing out of the ordinary there. There were 4 or 5 isolated areas were there was still mud, but these areas should dry out fairly quickly (all but one were on short uphill sections of the trail, the other was a natural low area with logs). I'd give the trail a 99.5% rideability rating.

We rode all 4 loops, and there was only one tree left that is obstructing the trail. This tree was on the C loop just before the "bowl" area with the switchbacked descent, and then the long switchbacked ascent. There was also one area on the C loop (about a mile in) with a lot of thorny overgrowth - if anyone has some pruners and is riding out there, this could be trimmed back in 10 minutes or so.

:D

Look'et the new VP out there mingaling with the common folk,getting his hands all dirty and such!!!!! JK Jon, It was such a great day for a ride and it is soooo good to be on some single track!!!!
Some people are alive today simply because it's against the law to kill them.......
Mountain Biker

http://hockeydaddy.blogspot.com/

http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
hockeydaddy

Re: Highland condition

Postby WishIcouldcatchmybreath » March 28th, 2004, 8:42 pm

hockeydaddy wrote:Look'et the new VP out there mingaling with the common folk,getting his hands all dirty and such!!!!!

Hey now - I only went over the bars one time....my hands didn't get dirty at all! :wink:
WishIcouldcatchmybreath

Postby weswatt » March 29th, 2004, 11:47 am

Replaced trail maps on Saturday, walked all of A loop, condition was mostly dry. Two trees down on A one about two miles in (head high) another right at the finish downhill (on the ground).
weswatt

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments