Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby ReidRules18 » July 18th, 2016, 11:43 am

How nicely is the trail marked? I Haven't ridden there in about 5 years but plan on doing this trail next weekend.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby arfenarf » July 18th, 2016, 11:59 am

IMHO, the markings are pretty sketchy if you've *never* ridden it. There are the numbered turns, which are good, but there are also spots like the Blind Lake Campground, the Shortcut's jog across Glenbrook Rd, and two-track leading to the second Patterson Lake Rd. crossing where a newbie might be left scratching his/her head a little.

But if you rode it five years ago, I think you'll be fine. Carry a copy of the trail map in your pocket.
arfenarf

Postby DynoDon » July 18th, 2016, 11:59 am

If you've ridden it before its marked the same, there are maps at every intersection, the most confusing spot is on the Goslin Lake section above Patterson Lake road, when you come off the last bridge there is a dirt road, follow that, then cross Patterson Road to finish the trail.
Trail was in surprising condition today, the rain helped it out, no slick spots, some twigs down, lots of deer flies, bring your Off, if you get below 8 mph you will get ate.
DynoDon

Postby mtb_frk » July 18th, 2016, 12:28 pm

I hadn't ridden it in about 5 or 6 years either before yesterday. For the most part I could remember where to go, the last two intersections were the only ones I had to stop and think for a bit. I think I was at 9 and need to go to 2 and also the very last one where there is a sign saying bikes are prohibited, but looking on the map it only looked I could go to 3, which seemed like was a ways into the trail. Mostly if you can somewhat remember it and follow all the tire tracks it shouldn't be a problem. Also, the signs on the trail some were blue and showed xc skiing, some said poto.

It is such a fun trail, I need to ride it more often.
KLM/Cold Stone Racing
mtb_frk

Postby vette-ss » July 18th, 2016, 2:42 pm

If you want to ride a full loop then I believe you pretty much always take a left turn except for marker 12 where it goes to Waterloo. But this is marked I think. And then at the very end. The "bikes prohibited" is the section from 2 to 1, correct? What is the reason for this? Seems strange. If I've been riding correctly, I take 2 to 7 via the road.
vette-ss

Postby DynoDon » July 18th, 2016, 7:41 pm

vette-ss wrote:If you want to ride a full loop then I believe you pretty much always take a left turn except for marker 12 where it goes to Waterloo. But this is marked I think. And then at the very end. The "bikes prohibited" is the section from 2 to 1, correct? What is the reason for this? Seems strange. If I've been riding correctly, I take 2 to 7 via the road.

Bikes Prohibited from 2 to 1 is the start of where the hikers/runners should be starting, #1 is the Hiking/Running Trailhead.
When the Poto comes near the end of the 18 miles you come up on the dirt road, if you go across the road there is a no bikes sign, that is the end of the shortest trail, the Silver Lake Trail 2.1 miles, Silver Lake Trail mountain bike traffic comes out there, not in, so there you go left on the road back to the #7 Mountain Bike Trailhead. I hope that helps.
DynoDon

Postby DynoDon » July 20th, 2016, 12:23 pm

Rode all three trails, Potto, Crooked Lake, and Silver Lake Trail, s Triple Trail Challenge early, all trails in good condition..
DynoDon

Postby DynoDon » July 22nd, 2016, 11:42 am

A tree was across the bridge just west of Hankard Road, it can be ridden over, I tried to break it, that wasn't happening, a hand saw would be good enough if its still there.
DynoDon

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments