Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby barrybs » January 14th, 2016, 1:05 pm

We do have a groomer and plans to groom, there just hasn't been enough snow yet. Fat riding has been great this week, skiing a bit marginal. Bring your rock skis. Things aren't looking very good tomorrow weather wise though, hopefully we won't end up with a sheet of ice for the weekend.
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby John Beeson » January 16th, 2016, 5:19 pm

So a buddy of mine and I rode Poto this morning. And based on the conditions we saw today and the weather forecast, it's likely to look the same for the next week!

The areas that have heavier foot traffic are slippery ice particularly the starting run out of the parking lot. We rode on regular 29" mountain bikes with no studded tires or anything. It was a challenge for sure, but we didn't spend the entire thing hiking-a-bike. We only hiked on the narrow downhill or uphills, but areas with some side buffer made it easier to skirt around the super slick icy spots.

The majority of the trail we found to be traction ice: that is, .. .. ice, but our regular tires held on as the ice had a layer of fused snow on top.

The upper portion (everything after the sand pit) was fantastic! Only a few hairy spots here and there, but by in large a lot less travelled and fairly smooth comparatively.

The loop back down to the parking lot from the shortcut merge was bumpy with hiking boot marks and at times super slick. The dirt roads were terrible! Avoid for sure.
John Beeson

Postby John Beeson » January 29th, 2016, 11:33 am

January 23rd ride: A little snow pack and it made the ride super awesome. Still slower and icy in spots, but generally smooth and grippy. Anyone have updates for conditions later this week?
John Beeson

Postby tadraper » January 29th, 2016, 11:37 am

John Beeson wrote:January 23rd ride: A little snow pack and it made the ride super awesome. Still slower and icy in spots, but generally smooth and grippy. Anyone have updates for conditions later this week?

I rode Wednesday evening lots if ice with a dusting over it made for a great adventure!! i would expect with all the sun maybe a little more ice hard to say what the last two days have done. but that was the conditions on Wednesday evening.

i will post up if i get out there tonight or tomorrow morning.

T.
2016 Farley 9.8 FAT BIKE
2016 Stache 9 29+ For Sale
2013 Ridley X-ride For Sale
2013 Origin8 Paladin with my son
tadraper

Postby barrybs » February 6th, 2016, 4:32 pm

Rode early this morning while things were still frozen. I had good traction with a thin layer of crunchy snow with no ice underneath. The sunny spots were starting to thaw by 11 AM. Looks like you would have to ride REAL EARLY tomorrow as it will warm up even faster than today.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments