Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby scat silvurz » January 5th, 2012, 11:58 am

irishpitbull wrote:You didn't get the memo, rocks, jumps, and drops are prohibited on Michigan trails. :) Somebody was doing the same things at Highland were you join the C loop. If its not babybutt smooth the newbs get scared.

It could be that the rigid 29'ers keep getting their wheelchair wheels stuck in between the rocks......
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby PotoKing » January 5th, 2012, 12:38 pm

I saw one of the holes too, but not sure it was naturally occuring frost heaving. By the hole size, it appeared to be a 5 inch diameter rock, which left behind a 4 inch deep hole.
I'm no expert though, I just find it hard to believe it got out of the hole without help.

From a riding point of view, it was a 1" rock top vs. 4" hole... not sure it was done to make trail smoother. Now if only the do-gooder/mother nature could have placed a 4 inch rock in that hole to make it baby butt smooth.
PotoKing

Postby WildWoody » January 5th, 2012, 12:57 pm

I did like the red bow ribbons during the Holiday season...
WildWoody

Postby jajones » January 7th, 2012, 9:41 am

I'm nearly 100 percent sure that the rock removal is being done by a certain XC skier who always complains to the Park Manager about mountain bikes causing baby head rocks to come up in the trail so that he can't ski it. I'll talk to Chuck, but this is hard to stop unless someone sees him doing it.
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
Waterloo Executive Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Chapter of the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA)

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 7th, 2012, 11:05 am

jajones wrote:I'm nearly 100 percent sure that the rock removal is being done by a certain XC skier who always complains to the Park Manager about mountain bikes causing baby head rocks to come up in the trail so that he can't ski it. I'll talk to Chuck, but this is hard to stop unless someone sees him doing it.

Time for a hidden motion detecting camera
Steve_Balogh

Postby ericp » January 7th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Anyone ride today?
ericp

Postby Paul Brown » January 8th, 2012, 1:06 pm

Trail was rock soild at 8am. Too bad so many choose to ride mid-day when the trail is soft. There are plenty of areas that are trashed. Riding on frozen ruts caused by riders who don't give a *beep* about others really blows. Same old s#@%.
Paul Brown

Postby winbert » February 4th, 2012, 12:28 am

Rode Sunday morning - frozen solid @ 9 a.m., still very firm @ 11. Not surprisingly, almost zero remaining snow/ice. I hoped to flatten some of those ruts & footprints on the Fatback's maiden voyage but they were frozen solid. Two trees down very close to each other on Gosling - sorry, a little fuzzy about the exact location but I think they're after the UofM fenceline around the 2nd Doyle Rd. crossing. One you can just ride under, and the other is at a multi-route spot and can be ridden around/over on the left.
Avitar = grooming my future stoker
"A 29er's a greyhound, a 26er's a rabbit." - Miker J
"My handlebars are real unusual looking too....so I am legit." - mward
"Steel is real. Aluminum is real too, it just doesn't rhyme." - mward
winbert

Postby G.Cook » February 4th, 2012, 2:39 am

I hoped to flatten some of those ruts & footprints on the Fatback's maiden voyage but they were frozen solid.

Yeah, been thinking about using the Mcleod at the worst areas. Busy Sat. maybe trail work Sun. If someone makes that dead fall disappear please post up.
G.Cook

Postby barrybs » February 4th, 2012, 9:56 pm

winbert wrote:Rode Sunday morning - frozen solid @ 9 a.m., still very firm @ 11. Not surprisingly, almost zero remaining snow/ice. I hoped to flatten some of those ruts & footprints on the Fatback's maiden voyage but they were frozen solid. Two trees down very close to each other on Gosling - sorry, a little fuzzy about the exact location but I think they're after the UofM fenceline around the 2nd Doyle Rd. crossing. One you can just ride under, and the other is at a multi-route spot and can be ridden around/over on the left.

Hiked Doyle to Doyle and cleared/trimmed some small stuff. The above mentioned deadfall was just before the first Doyle road crossing and had already been cleared. Nice afternoon to hike the trail.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby Paul Brown » February 5th, 2012, 12:38 pm

Rode at 9am this morning. Frozen solid. Good until about 10:30. Parking lot was filling up when it should have been emptying as we left. The frozen ruts give a new element to riding, thanks to all those who ride when it warms up and create those ruts. :roll: :evil:
Paul Brown

Postby G.Cook » February 5th, 2012, 12:56 pm

Thanks Barry! :D
G.Cook

Postby tadraper » February 5th, 2012, 3:14 pm

I rode at 10:30 this morning just to test my bike setup and did the 5 mile loop. no way i could have ridden farther trail would have been too soft. wish the boss told me earlier i could get a ride in today :o .
2017 Farley EX 8
2016 Crux Expert Evo
2016 C-Dale 29er Tandem
2013 Origin8 Paladin with my son
2010 Gary Fisher Triton SS
tadraper

Postby shippenville » February 7th, 2012, 7:45 pm

Rode the trail at 8am on Sunday...it was frozen solid and a blast to ride. Definitely would be too soft by later in the day.

Also, it looks like someone took a leaf blower to parts of the trail...seemed like parts someone would probably try to xc-ski on. Not cool.
shippenville

Postby barrybs » February 8th, 2012, 9:28 am

I noticed the leaf blowing too. It goes from the entrance road to just past four corners, then they cut a swath down to the edge of Pickeral Lake. The same section was cleared last spring. I think it's for a running event since they cross the lake, but don't know which one.

I wish they wouldn't do it, it feels like you are riding on a rail trail. Not sure if it's DNR approved or not.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions