Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby Paul Brown » December 5th, 2011, 8:49 am

risnewski wrote:
teach58 wrote:New to this forum. 2 friends & I tried to ride Saturday morning Dec. 3. Can confirm many trees and branch's down. Was so beautifull though. Hope the season is not over.

Not to worry. Poto is a great winter ride and can be fun to xc ski/hike when conditions don't allow a ride.

yea, once it frezzes.
Paul Brown

Postby G.Cook » December 7th, 2011, 4:22 pm

Trail is clear from shortcut to Silver LK. and back to the short cut as of today. Bridges and boardwalks snow covered and slick. Falling temps will make it a great ride with just a few patches of pizza cutter trail tread.
Gosling loop , aka northern loop , will be looked at Thur/Fri.
G.Cook

Postby jajones » December 8th, 2011, 6:42 am

Thanks, Greg!
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
Waterloo Executive Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Chapter of the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA)

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby risnewski » December 18th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Tree down over the trail on that fun treacherous drop just before the Blind Lake bridge. Comes where you really let loose. Also, a couple down not too far before the 1st Patterson Lake road crossing. Chain saws needed.
risnewski

Postby G.Cook » December 18th, 2011, 6:11 pm

Those have been removed. Thanks for posting up.
G.
G.Cook

Postby barrybs » December 18th, 2011, 6:26 pm

Thanks, Greg. You move pretty fast for an old guy :)
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby G.Cook » December 18th, 2011, 7:40 pm

Thanks, Greg. You move pretty fast for an old guy

Now if I could just do that on a bike. Nah,then I couldn't smell the multi flora rose when I'm ride'n.:wink:
G.Cook

Postby jrshome » December 25th, 2011, 6:40 pm

Anyone out over the weekend? What are the conditions like? Thinking of riding late morning tomorrow
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together..."
-- Carl Zwanzig
jrshome

Postby G.Cook » December 26th, 2011, 12:52 am

The earlier the better.
G.Cook

Poto: Potawatomi

Postby Bento » December 28th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Started at 23?F and finished full loop at 24?F. The sun was out in full force but it couldn't overcome the frozen trail. I would say 30% crunchy snow. It seemed liked the only slightly soft spot was going around Dead Lake. Even the southern exposed portions were solid. Studs were not really required. I couldn't believe there weren't any trees or branches down across the trail with all wind last night. But then I was second or third tracks today. If get's any warmer, you might want hold off.
Bento

Postby barrybs » January 2nd, 2012, 6:29 pm

Frozen ! :) .....sure would be nice if people would quit riding when it's soft and stop prying rocks out of the trail tread :x
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby irishpitbull » January 4th, 2012, 2:10 pm

You didn't get the memo, rocks, jumps, and drops are prohibited on Michigan trails. :) Somebody was doing the same things at Highland were you join the C loop. If its not babybutt smooth the newbs get scared.
irishpitbull

Postby c0nsumer » January 4th, 2012, 2:13 pm

barrybs wrote:Frozen ! :) .....sure would be nice if people would quit riding when it's soft and stop prying rocks out of the trail tread :x

Did you ever notice that when the trail dries out the dirt shrinks back from many rocks, freeing them up to pop free when hit by a bike? This tends to happen a lot during the springtime (and this autumn/winter's) freeze/thaw cycle. I don't think all of the displaced rocks are done intentionally.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby barrybs » January 4th, 2012, 8:12 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
barrybs wrote:Frozen ! :) .....sure would be nice if people would quit riding when it's soft and stop prying rocks out of the trail tread :x

Did you ever notice that when the trail dries out the dirt shrinks back from many rocks, freeing them up to pop free when hit by a bike? This tends to happen a lot during the springtime (and this autumn/winter's) freeze/thaw cycle. I don't think all of the displaced rocks are done intentionally.

Yea, I know what you mean, but unfortunately these instances weren't the occasional smaller missing rocks that you describe. A couple of weeks ago I came upon a section that was missing 8-10 rocks on one uphill. Several of them were baby head size and all were thrown off to the same side of the trail. ( one of the local Poto riders told me "I'm sure it must have had help getting out of the ground. I would love to hear their story". Not sure what they were trying to accomplish as this part of the trail is pretty much all rocks.

Monday's incdent was two large ones and several smaller ones, all within 25' of trail. It's not that easy figuring out which rock goes where and jamming them back in their holes. :lol:

We also have someone that likes to spray paint blue mileage markers on the trees. G. Cook spent a lot of time covering them up with "bark" colored paint only to have them reappear in a few months
A lot of strange things go on in the woods around here, if only the trails could talk. :)

Barry
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby scat silvurz » January 5th, 2012, 11:56 am

It's called frost heaving.......happens all the time, and it's completely natural.
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions