Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby jeepskate » November 6th, 2011, 5:38 pm

After the abbreviated ride yesterday, I hit it again today. Trail is in great shape, dry and tight. Sme sports are a little hard to recognize as the leaf cover is so heavy, but other than that great riding today.
There's a difference between "American made", and "American made by skilled craftsmen".

"I almost sold my single speed once....."
jeepskate

Postby MLKuhl » November 6th, 2011, 10:30 pm

Great time out there today...other then the idiot on a quad that almost ran me over just beyond the woodcutter's house. Trail is very fast and covered heavily in areas with leaves. Get out there while you can, don't think we will have to many more days like this!!!
MLKuhl

Postby djansen00 » November 7th, 2011, 9:29 am

MLKuhl wrote:Great time out there today...other then the idiot on a quad that almost ran me over just beyond the woodcutter's house. Trail is very fast and covered heavily in areas with leaves. Get out there while you can, don't think we will have to many more days like this!!!

That moron was out there with his buddy on a four wheeler about a month ago as well. They were further down on Gosling though...after the 2nd clay hill. Freaked the *beep* out of me. I only glared at them and kept my mouth shut allowing wisdom to prevail over anger since I was alone in the middle of the woods. :\
djansen00

Postby G.Cook » November 7th, 2011, 10:08 am

Sounds like the morons that are coming from the neighborhood behind the wood cutters house. The DNR has had problems in the past with people on ATV's coming out of that neighborhood.
If you guys see this get on the phone to Pinckney Rec. office if it's in their working hours. Otherwise call the DNR poacher hot line. Who knows,it might help.
Report all poaching (Rap line) # 1-800-292-7800.
Pinckney Rec. Area Hq.'s #(734) 426-4913
Went to the PRA Hq. office today and they where not aware of the current ATV traffic. They are now.
G.Cook

Postby Dave L » November 14th, 2011, 12:04 am

The Poto was in perfect shape today. The weather was splendid and the ride was delightful.
Dave L

Postby jeepskate » November 15th, 2011, 8:06 pm

Great ride almost ran out of light even after taking the short cut. Trail is definitely moist in areas, the only real muddy spots were the typical low lying ones. Would like to take a second to thank the people that cleared the trail, it was pretty evident that tons of debris removal was done.
There's a difference between "American made", and "American made by skilled craftsmen".

jeepskate

Postby jeepskate » November 20th, 2011, 6:55 pm

great again today, was a tree down right by the lumber jacks house ironically enough. It is small and very passible, yet big enough to need some sort of cutter.

jeepskate

Poto: Potawatomi

Postby Bento » November 25th, 2011, 11:51 pm

My cold/flu miraculously sort of lifted, so I snuck in a Black Friday night ride. The trail was very buff and mostly clear. The exceptions are a tree across the trenched downhill to the Waterloo intersection (post no. 12). IMHO it is not possible to ride over or around it because of the trench. After the hard right turn there is a dead tree leaning up against a tree and across the trail. This is just before the stepped downhill to Blind Lake. It looked like someone placed deadfall on the rerouted uphill to warn riders of the danger. Didn't put it all together until I was overriding my backup bar mounted light and went over the tree, minus my steed. If you ride the Poto backwards, this won't be an issue.
Bento

Postby TomE. » November 28th, 2011, 12:05 pm

Is there a map somewhere online with the biking trail and the number markers on it? A group of us rode it Friday, but we got turned around a few times. I was out here about two years ago, but I could only recall a few landmarks along the way. I see a DNR map at the trail guide, but I know 2 years ago I had a map which pointed out some of the tougher climbs, and where to go when you hit a dirt road...stuff like that. I couldn't locate that map this time.
TomE.

Postby barrybs » November 28th, 2011, 12:12 pm

TomE. wrote:Is there a map somewhere online with the biking trail and the number markers on it? A group of us rode it Friday, but we got turned around a few times. I was out here about two years ago, but I could only recall a few landmarks along the way. I see a DNR map at the trail guide, but I know 2 years ago I had a map which pointed out some of the tougher climbs, and where to go when you hit a dirt road...stuff like that. I couldn't locate that map this time.

I think the DNR one here: http://www.michigandnr.com/Publications ... trails.pdf is as good as it gets.
It shows the "serious hills" and "sand pit" as well as the intersection numbers.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby TomE. » November 28th, 2011, 12:32 pm

Thanks Barry, that is the one I was looking for. Also the one we needed Friday, heh.

barrybs wrote:I think the DNR one here: http://www.michigandnr.com/Publications ... trails.pdf is as good as it gets.
It shows the "serious hills" and "sand pit" as well as the intersection numbers.
TomE.

Postby risnewski » November 29th, 2011, 8:12 am

Did a lap yesteday, sans Gosling. The reported downed trees at the Waterloo intersection are no longer there. Stopped by the park office on the way in the DNR guy there offered me use of an orange vest since they are still hunting out there. Pretty cool.
risnewski

Postby WildWoody » December 1st, 2011, 10:04 am

Rode it last night with the new snow. Many trees down from the wind and a ton on trees hanging over the trail from the weight of the snow.
WildWoody

Postby teach58 » December 4th, 2011, 10:42 pm

New to this forum. 2 friends & I tried to ride Saturday morning Dec. 3. Can confirm many trees and branch's down. Was so beautifull though. Hope the season is not over.
teach58

Postby risnewski » December 5th, 2011, 8:27 am

teach58 wrote:New to this forum. 2 friends & I tried to ride Saturday morning Dec. 3. Can confirm many trees and branch's down. Was so beautifull though. Hope the season is not over.

Not to worry. Poto is a great winter ride and can be fun to xc ski/hike when conditions don't allow a ride.
risnewski

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions