Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby c0nsumer » May 27th, 2014, 10:58 am

Rainmann wrote:It's the last of the long climbs, around the back side of crooked. Those those logs that are in the ground at the beginning of the climb before to make a left turn to pound out the rest. I'll have to look closer or stop next time I hit it, maybe thursday. Looks like it was removed from the trail. I'll post up next time I go by, or if someone else does, post up if you want.

I'm not super familiar with the trail, but I know exactly what you are talking about. The really fresh dirt there made me think of when we re-bury exposed roots, so I'd thought someone had just done that. I guess it could have been removed and the dirt churned up, though. I didn't stop to see.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Geff » May 27th, 2014, 11:13 am

Post a pic too, if you can.
Geff

Postby Rainmann » May 27th, 2014, 1:24 pm

Went for a quick ride on crooked and got off and checked it out. It's gone.
29ers are super cool...

2011 Ragley Blue Pig 1x9
2014 Soma B-Side SS
Rainmann

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 27th, 2014, 8:13 pm

Rainmann wrote:Noticed the first logs was taken out of the ground at heartbreak hill, when I was there on Sunday.

I was there on Sunday also, that first water bar/log was there and appeared to have been dislodged by water/erosion. There was a couple inches of clearance between the log and the ground. I had to walk my bike over it. I didn't take the time to study it.
Steve_Balogh

Postby PotoKing » May 28th, 2014, 8:31 am

Steve_Balogh wrote:
Rainmann wrote:Noticed the first logs was taken out of the ground at heartbreak hill, when I was there on Sunday.

I was there on Sunday also, that first water bar/log was there and appeared to have been dislodged by water/erosion. There was a couple inches of clearance between the log and the ground. I had to walk my bike over it. I didn't take the time to study it.

From your observation, sounds like the water bar became non-functional. Ideally, maintenance would have been performed rather than removal. When I installed the water bars 20 years ago, the intent was that they would divert water. Unfortunately water bars require annual maintenance to keep functioning as designed. On this hill the lower couple water bars never worked very well because of grade and slope, they required too much maintenance to keep functioning. As much as I like to see new blood enthusiastic about maintaining and improving the trail, they do need to communicate to the proper people before starting work.
PotoKing

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 28th, 2014, 6:07 pm

PotoKing wrote:
Steve_Balogh wrote:

From your observation, sounds like the water bar became non-functional. Ideally, maintenance would have been performed rather than removal. When I installed the water bars 20 years ago, the intent was that they would divert water. Unfortunately water bars require annual maintenance to keep functioning as designed. On this hill the lower couple water bars never worked very well because of grade and slope, they required too much maintenance to keep functioning. As much as I like to see new blood enthusiastic about maintaining and improving the trail, they do need to communicate to the proper people before starting work.

If it were dislodged, I would have tried putting it back, but the ground looked washed-out underneath it so I let it be and stepped over it. I'm thinking if someone moved it, it's got to be somewhere near where it can be recovered. On the way back to the parking lot I noticed the dirt road appeared to be more round than last winter, looks like running water really did some damage in a few areas.
Steve_Balogh

Postby G.Cook » May 30th, 2014, 4:38 pm

It's done. Big thanks to Bill Kaltz and. Mike Niemi and the 4 young bloods Bill and I shanghaied into carrying that big ass log to where it was needed ......uphill :)
G.Cook

Postby schortie » May 30th, 2014, 7:38 pm

Thanks for the work. I'm guessing ya'll finished right before I road over that spot tonight. I was looking for the missing log but I didn't find it.

On another note, I took some time to move a lot of those big pesky rocks from the trail. They kept slowing me down. You all can thank me later.
New guy
schortie

Postby bax » May 31st, 2014, 6:05 am

I hope your post is just a joke......If you are found out, you may be the one removed from the trail. *beep* !
bax

Postby schortie » May 31st, 2014, 8:27 am

A joke indeed; albeit a poor one.

Thanks again for everyone's work.
New guy
schortie

Postby Sortaslow » May 31st, 2014, 9:06 am

schortie wrote:A joke indeed; albeit a poor one.

What? We can't take rocks from poto? I've been lining my garden beds for years with these.
Sortaslow

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 31st, 2014, 9:56 am

Sortaslow wrote:

What? We can't take rocks from poto? I've been lining my garden beds for years with these.

Sweet! We'll all come over your house and ride some serious rock gardens :icon_cheers:
Steve_Balogh

Postby Sortaslow » May 31st, 2014, 11:16 am

Steve_Balogh wrote:
Sortaslow wrote:

Sweet! We'll all come over your house and ride some serious rock gardens :icon_cheers:

I wish. My yard is flatter than my middle school girlfriend. Plus, It's a joke, albeit a bad one! ;-).... The rock part.
Sortaslow

Postby Rainmann » June 1st, 2014, 12:46 pm

Trail is pretty dialed! Gosling is starting to firm up a little is the couple small trouble spots. Recent trail work looks great guys, thanks for the hard work and dedication. If you folks had plans to touch up gosling at all, I'd be happy to pitch in.
29ers are super cool...

2011 Ragley Blue Pig 1x9
2014 Soma B-Side SS
Rainmann

Postby M Brown » June 12th, 2014, 7:21 am

Any updates on trail conditions since the rain? Anyone out there last night?
M Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments