Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby irishpitbull » October 24th, 2011, 9:01 am

Was out Sunday and it was just a great trail. Best around for sure.
irishpitbull

Postby barrybs » October 24th, 2011, 7:10 pm

ibike wrote:Poto is in good shape and clear.

On the Crooked Lake trail, there are 2 trees down next to each other at the stone fireplace; likely will need a chainsaw.

Whacked 'em :)
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby xycarp » October 26th, 2011, 6:47 am

I am planning on riding poto this Sunday. It will be the first time on it in 20 years... yah, that's right... I said 20 years... I plan on joining the trail at Silver Lake / Dexter Townhall Rd.

Anything I "should" know?
xycarp

Postby G.Cook » October 26th, 2011, 7:24 am

Watch for hikers when the Poto rejoins Crooked Lk. It tends to get busy , especially on a weekend day . "Tourists" .
Other then that , it's just more erosion and a few reroute's .
Have a good ride.
G.Cook

Postby djansen00 » October 26th, 2011, 8:09 am

Yeah the "tourists" were out in force on Sunday...it was crazy. More hikers (most casual) than I've ever seen out there on a single ride. Even ran into multiple people on Gosling.
djansen00

Postby deezler » October 26th, 2011, 11:14 am

^ Good! It was so beautiful out last sunday, glad casual folks can still go enjoy this amazing trail. Going to hit it this Sunday morning myself, should be a lot chillier, but still nice. How are the leaves on the trail? Thick and dry, wet and packed/slippery, or somewhat clear? tia.
deezler

Postby G.Cook » October 26th, 2011, 11:59 am

How are the leaves on the trail? Thick and dry, wet and packed/slippery, or somewhat clear?

Yes. :wink:
G.Cook

Postby deezler » October 31st, 2011, 7:54 am

To answer my own question, not bad! Only about half the trail, length-wise, was covered in leaves. Despite the heavy frost Saturday night, the trail was not all mud. Definitely one of the messier rides I've taken, but no permanent damage to the trail or anything like that. A couple spots, like on the shortcut to skip gosling, you get funneled into the singletrack trench and have no choice but to take the mud bath. Otherwise able to ride around most of the mud holes.

Words of caution, however: Do not attempt to turn on, or enter onto a wooden ramp/bridge at any angle whatsoever. They are f**&kin slippery. Our speeds were down in general though, because the leaves hide a lot of obstacles like rocks and roots until you are only a few feet away. Descending those gnarly hills takes a lot more concentration when all the roots are wet and slippery, too. Add in the general tacky mud conditions in a lot of spots (high rolling resistance) and the trail was a real a$$ kicker yesterday, haha. Always good times though. The forecast looks pretty good for the next week or so....!
deezler

Postby mtbfree » October 31st, 2011, 9:28 am

deezler wrote: A couple spots, like on the shortcut to skip gosling, you get funneled into the singletrack trench and have no choice but to take the mud bath. Otherwise able to ride around most of the mud holes.

Ooh, man. You do know this is a cardinal sin here right? ALWAYS take the mud bath if you're going to ride when the trail is wet. Riding around puddles makes the trail wider (I know, I know... Poto is practically two-track already, but why make it any worse?) and gives those against mountain biking more of an argument against us in terms of trail erosion.
I'm just here to ride...

-'15 Transition Scout
-'15 Trek Session 88
-'04 Santa Cruz Chameleon
mtbfree

Soft and Muddy Conditions - Please Don't Ride

Postby PotoKing » October 31st, 2011, 9:50 am

When the trail is soft or muddy, those that take care of the trail prefer that people ride somewhere else. Riding in these conditions just makes more work for the few that take care of the trail. A lot of work has been done to manage water and get trail to dry as fast as possible. Even with all the work, the trail still needs little time to dry out after a rain. That amount of time will depend on a lot of factors, this time of year it?s a little slower to dry than summer. Riding through mud holes just makes them deeper, which leads to holding water long. A cycle that continues until it so bad it requires some type of repair. If you can?t jump it or ride around it, please consider walking it.

Conditions yesterday evening: mostly good, with couple wet section, and two hill that were muddy enough, I got off the bike to walk, rather than turn the soil up. Wish I would have waited a day for the trail to get a little drier. Even after 20 years, it?s a little hard to read when trail will become dry enough after rain. Sometimes it even requires getting of the trail and riding roads back to Silver Lake.

On behalf of trail caretakers, cooperation is appreciated.
PotoKing

Postby deezler » October 31st, 2011, 10:51 am

Guys, not a trail riding newb, but thanks for the advice regardless. The poto is already 6-8 feet wide in many areas. You can avoid most of the mud holes that I referenced by staying completely within the already defined edges of the trail. I would rather ride around the edge of a mud hole than cut a giant swale through it with my tire, requiring maintenance to repair. Now, if there was a long continuous section of mud then of course I would dismount and walk my bike, or if the trail was narrow, I would not ride through vegetation to avoid it. However there was nothing even close to that yesterday. Just a very light surface mud due to thawing FROST and decomposing leaves, not from recent RAIN. About 50% of the trail was completely dry, anyway. I did not spin out on hills or lock up on braking... trail was solid.

So overall, the trail is in GOOD shape and is not damaged from riding, so get out there and enjoy it.

People can disagree about specifics of when it's good practice to ride or not, if everything is not 100% dry, but in reality, all you have to do is stay on the trail and evaluate whether your tires are f*cking up the surface or not. Pretty simple. In fact, a lot of damage can be done when trails are _too_ dry and you spin your tires out on the uphill sections.
deezler

Postby mtbfree » October 31st, 2011, 11:59 am

deezler wrote:Guys, not a trail riding newb, but thanks for the advice regardless. The poto is already 6-8 feet wide in many areas. You can avoid most of the mud holes that I referenced by staying completely within the already defined edges of the trail. I would rather ride around the edge of a mud hole than cut a giant swale through it with my tire, requiring maintenance to repair. Now, if there was a long continuous section of mud then of course I would dismount and walk my bike, or if the trail was narrow, I would not ride through vegetation to avoid it. However there was nothing even close to that yesterday. Just a very light surface mud due to thawing FROST and decomposing leaves, not from recent RAIN. About 50% of the trail was completely dry, anyway. I did not spin out on hills or lock up on braking... trail was solid.

I figured this was the case... Most of the Poto is wide enough that if any puddle or mud-hole was wide enough to take up the whole thing, you'd know it's just not a good day to ride. I only posted my previous warning since you didn't initially specify that you weren't riding off-trail to avoid the wet.
I'm just here to ride...

-'15 Transition Scout
-'15 Trek Session 88
-'04 Santa Cruz Chameleon
mtbfree

Postby barrybs » November 1st, 2011, 11:18 am

Cleared the tree last night that was down just before the final bridge @ the end of Poto.
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby deezler » November 1st, 2011, 11:25 am

barrybs wrote:Cleared the tree last night that was down just before the final bridge @ the end of Poto.

Shucks! That was fun to have to hop unexpectedly.
deezler

Postby jeepskate » November 6th, 2011, 9:31 am

Rode last night, ride was cut short by a lost golden retriever. Long story short the owner was eventually found and they were gratious enough to give me a ride back to the trailhead as it was dark by the time I reached them. Made it almost to the blind lake camp ground, trail was in excellent condition up to that point.
There's a difference between "American made", and "American made by skilled craftsmen".

"I almost sold my single speed once....."
jeepskate

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions