Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby barrybs » September 15th, 2011, 7:45 pm

RobM wrote:Wind was strong enough to down two large tree branches over the trail between there and the trail head. Like the previous post said -- the first is on the plateau between the two board walks on Gosling Lake section just before reaching the lake access road. Other is on the Crooked Lake portion of Poto, about 1/4-1/2 mile after marker 9 and a little before the creek crossing approaching the 'never-ending' hill.

Does anyone know if these two trees have been cleared yet ?

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby winbert » September 15th, 2011, 8:42 pm

Rode a full lap tonight & didn't see any trees down. Trail's in great shape - couple greasy spots but the sand is nice & packed... Enjoy!
Avitar = grooming my future stoker
"A 29er's a greyhound, a 26er's a rabbit." - Miker J
"My handlebars are real unusual looking too....so I am legit." - mward
"Steel is real. Aluminum is real too, it just doesn't rhyme." - mward
winbert

Poto: Potawatomi

Postby Bento » September 25th, 2011, 12:48 pm

Full loop this morning. No trees across the trail. Trail was a slightly damp so traction was top notch. I was thinking I would see the reroute at the sand hill, missed it. Dances with Dirt, I heard was run yesterday. They definitely have the most thoroughly marked course of any I have seen. I am sure the promoter will have the markers and signs cleared by the end of the day. No spray paint! Oh, someone, a volunteer perhaps, forgot their camping chair and water at the top of the hill, after crossing north of Max Rd.
Bento

Postby Jay22 » September 29th, 2011, 8:16 am

Hey all. How is this trail in wet weather? It's been raining the past couple of days and I don't want to drive out there if the place will be a mud pit. Does this trail drain well? Should I wait until we have a few clear days before I head out there?

Also, is this trail too much for a full rigid bike?

Thanks!
Jay22

Postby winbert » September 29th, 2011, 8:24 am

Trail drains well except for a few sections back on the Gosling loop. To avoid that, take the "shortcut" - a right at the bench towards the yurt cuts mileage from ~18 to ~14 miles.

I'm not man enough to ride a rigid 26" bike out there, but I love Poto on my rigid 29er!
Avitar = grooming my future stoker
"A 29er's a greyhound, a 26er's a rabbit." - Miker J
"My handlebars are real unusual looking too....so I am legit." - mward
"Steel is real. Aluminum is real too, it just doesn't rhyme." - mward
winbert

Postby Jay22 » September 29th, 2011, 8:34 am

Thanks for the reply! I might just head out there today or tomorrow then. Ill give it a whirl on my 26".
Jay22

Postby trebron » October 1st, 2011, 7:34 pm

Friggin perfect today :D
Big mess of trees down between 10 & 9.
"Always Out of Control, But Never Out of Beer"
trebron

Postby barrybs » October 6th, 2011, 9:17 pm

trebron wrote:Friggin perfect today :D
Big mess of trees down between 10 & 9.

Cleared the "big mess of trees" down between 10 & 9 tonight as well as the stuff that was laying low and hanging high between Patterson Lk and Doyle roads.
Poto is dry, hard, and fast :)
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby PotoKing » October 7th, 2011, 6:46 am

Thanks Barry for your chainsaw work! Seems like a tree or two comes down every week. You (and a few others) have been busy the whole season, guess thats why the trail is in such great shape. Thanks again!
PotoKing

Postby ibike » October 16th, 2011, 8:03 pm

Lots of leaves down which makes things a bit slower (lack of traction, hidden rocks and roots).

2 widow makers that need to be removed w/ chainsaw or large hand saw:

One is just before the Little Mac Bridge, the other is just past the Deliverance house.
ibike

Postby barrybs » October 17th, 2011, 7:33 pm

ibike wrote:Lots of leaves down which makes things a bit slower (lack of traction, hidden rocks and roots).

2 widow makers that need to be removed w/ chainsaw or large hand saw:

One is just before the Little Mac Bridge, the other is just past the Deliverance house.

Cleared these two tonight. Thanks for the accurate description, it makes the job much easier.
I met the "Woodsman" tonight. He rolled up on a bicycle just as I finished cutting the tree by his house. He seemed like a real nice guy, definitely not the deliverance type most of us have probably been envisioning. :lol:

Barry
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby jeepskate » October 17th, 2011, 7:35 pm

Aside from the leaves, the trail was very fast today. One tree down, I honestly cannot say where though. Had to unclip and climb over it. First time out there single speed, definitely a new experience.
There's a difference between "American made", and "American made by skilled craftsmen".

"I almost sold my single speed once....."
jeepskate

Postby Dave L » October 22nd, 2011, 4:21 pm

The Poto is in great shape even after all that rain. Tomorrow should be even better.
Dave L

Postby fsr1 » October 22nd, 2011, 7:52 pm

It seems like there has been considerable water management work done out there recently. Well Done!

I agree with Dave L. Surprisingly dry and quite fast.

Kudos and thanks to those who obviously do so much work out there!
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby ibike » October 23rd, 2011, 7:19 pm

Poto is in good shape and clear.

On the Crooked Lake trail, there are 2 trees down next to each other at the stone fireplace; likely will need a chainsaw.
ibike

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions