Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby J/C » July 5th, 2011, 12:09 pm

Rode the Poto for the first time yesterday, good stuff. Thanks to those that keep it in good shape. I could tell there was some recent trimming and chain-sawing. I'll be back!
User avatar
J/C
 
Posts: 163
Joined: July 19th, 2003, 10:25 pm
Location: Milford

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby healthy » July 9th, 2011, 3:40 pm

Hi all. I just moved to the AA area and rode Poto yesterday. I'd like to ride the full loop but not quite sure which trails to follow. Can one of you help with the sequence of trail numbers I need to follow? Thanks!
User avatar
healthy
 
Posts: 28
Joined: March 25th, 2006, 12:46 pm
Location: Royal Oak

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby Wingo » July 9th, 2011, 6:40 pm

I think it's something like 7, 5, 6, 4, 12, 11 (head leftish there after the sand pit to avoid the shortcut), 9, then I believe down Silver Hill Rd and back through the very first section back to 7.

http://www.michigandnr.com/Publications ... trails.pdf
Wingo
 
Posts: 28
Joined: January 10th, 2009, 7:19 am

Poto: Potawatomi

Postby Bento » July 11th, 2011, 6:36 pm

I rode the Poto a few times at the end of last week. Of course, like most SE MI trails, there were dry/loose conditions, before today, duh.

Sunday, I was a little bummed (nice way to put it) to see arrows painted on a tree or two.

http://www.eliteendeavors.com/maps/MAP%20AA%20DU%20MAP%201ST%20RUN.pdf

I would think the race promoter could find another way to mark the course and not use spray paint on trees. Bad enough we got the blue "triangle painter". Perhaps I am wrong and someone else did the painting. Just seemed like an unlikely coincidence. With that said, the Poto run portion of the trail was free of trash.
User avatar
Bento
 
Posts: 427
Joined: August 31st, 2007, 10:05 am

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby healthy » July 11th, 2011, 6:49 pm

Wingo wrote:I think it's something like 7, 5, 6, 4, 12, 11 (head leftish there after the sand pit to avoid the shortcut), 9, then I believe down Silver Hill Rd and back through the very first section back to 7.

http://www.michigandnr.com/Publications ... trails.pdf


Great!
Thanks!
User avatar
healthy
 
Posts: 28
Joined: March 25th, 2006, 12:46 pm
Location: Royal Oak

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby deezler » July 11th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Bento wrote:I rode the Poto a few times at the end of last week. Of course, like most SE MI trails, there were dry/loose conditions, before today, duh.

Sunday, I was a little bummed (nice way to put it) to see arrows painted on a tree or two.

http://www.eliteendeavors.com/maps/MAP%20AA%20DU%20MAP%201ST%20RUN.pdf

I would think the race promoter could find another way to mark the course and not use spray paint on trees. Bad enough we got the blue "triangle painter". Perhaps I am wrong and someone else did the painting. Just seemed like an unlikely coincidence. With that said, the Poto run portion of the trail was free of trash.


Yeah W_T_F! That god *beep* orange arrow pointed me into the fuc!n pickerel parking lot! Ugh. Buddy and me were riding at full speed and don't know the trail super well yet. Same orange spray paint led the "racers" through the parking lot at past the water table - it was definitely the race organizer.

NOT COOL to spray paint trees.

But as you said, trail was dry, dusty, firm and FAST on Sunday before today's rain. Probably still in great shape after.
deezler
 
Posts: 282
Joined: April 9th, 2011, 8:10 pm
Location: Ypsilanti

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby countryboy_mike » July 15th, 2011, 6:21 pm

Rode Poto om Tuesday after Mondays rain. Trail was in good condition, but the freakin deer flies were unbearable. If for some reason you had to stop, I made this mistake once to look at the trail map, you were swarmed by 50 or so flies. If you kept moving, you were lucky to only have to swat at 3 or 4 every 100 feet or so. Then of course I managed to get a pinch flat at the Gosslin Lake access and was eaten alive. Not a fun ride at all with those little ba@#%#ds in full effect.
There will be more rejoicing in heaven for one sinner who repents than for 99 rightous people who do not need to repent. Luke 15:7
2015 Motobecane Ti Fly 29er custom build
2017 Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike
2013 KHS SJ100
POTOMBA Chapter
Team Hometown
User avatar
countryboy_mike
 
Posts: 537
Joined: May 9th, 2003, 7:06 am
Location: Howell, MI

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby Deli-Mike » July 18th, 2011, 10:04 am

countryboy_mike wrote:Rode Poto om Tuesday after Mondays rain. Trail was in good condition, but the freakin deer flies were unbearable. If for some reason you had to stop, I made this mistake once to look at the trail map, you were swarmed by 50 or so flies. If you kept moving, you were lucky to only have to swat at 3 or 4 every 100 feet or so. Then of course I managed to get a pinch flat at the Gosslin Lake access and was eaten alive. Not a fun ride at all with those little ba@#%#ds in full effect.



I have been forced into spray painting myself with Deep Woods Off. By no means do I want to......I HAVE to. If not, I am easily swarmed by 10-15 at a time.
Given that I sometimes need to push uphill, I'm a blood donor walking with no repellent.

Trails in good condition.
The key is not the will to win... everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important.
Bobby Knight.

Which is why I drink every night........
User avatar
Deli-Mike
 
Posts: 4
Joined: May 20th, 2009, 3:31 pm
Location: 100 Yards from the Poto

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby deezler » July 18th, 2011, 2:34 pm

Wonder why this trail is specifically so bad for flies. Rode out at Rolling Hills Saturday morning for the Niner demo day, and no bug spray of any kind was required. Didn't so much as see a bug; fabulous.

But when I rode it last as I posted about above, I got nailed by some deer flies. One bite on my jaw bone was swollen for 3 days! Awful. I have a moral aversion to DEET (you know, since it's a potent neuro-toxin and is completely poisonous) but the natural bug repellent only works so well....
deezler
 
Posts: 282
Joined: April 9th, 2011, 8:10 pm
Location: Ypsilanti

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby Deli-Mike » July 22nd, 2011, 2:02 pm

deezler wrote:Wonder why this trail is specifically so bad for flies. Rode out at Rolling Hills Saturday morning for the Niner demo day, and no bug spray of any kind was required. Didn't so much as see a bug; fabulous.

But when I rode it last as I posted about above, I got nailed by some deer flies. One bite on my jaw bone was swollen for 3 days! Awful. I have a moral aversion to DEET (you know, since it's a potent neuro-toxin and is completely poisonous) but the natural bug repellent only works so well....



There are quite a few ponds and small lakes that this trail wraps around. Prime breeding ground for those nasty buggers. Water greatly assists in their reproduction. Wet spring, full ponds and small lakes, quite a bit of standing water.

My wife was in the yard last weekend and started screaming....I looked up and she had 10 flies swarming around her head as she was running around the house into the garage. I thought it was kinda funny....she did not.

Our back yard is the Pinckney SR area. So we see the affect first hand.....
The key is not the will to win... everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important.
Bobby Knight.

Which is why I drink every night........
User avatar
Deli-Mike
 
Posts: 4
Joined: May 20th, 2009, 3:31 pm
Location: 100 Yards from the Poto

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby deuxdiesel » July 24th, 2011, 3:46 pm

Be careful on the trail between 4 and 5, just by the stone house. A small tree, maybe 3 or 4" fell, and some *beep* tried to bend it off of the trail, instead snapped it off about 4' and just left it there. I caught it in my trapezeous just an inch or so from my neck. Had I not been wearing a pack, it would have gone right through- saved by the shoulder strap! I wrestled with it for a while, twisting it off the trail, but it will need a quick saw job.
deuxdiesel
 
Posts: 1333
Joined: December 20th, 2006, 7:12 pm
Location: Whitmore Lake

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby Moto339 » July 31st, 2011, 12:48 pm

Tree's down at 5 1/4 mile, 9 and 9 3/4 Miles. They all need some Chainsaw action. The trail was in good shape but a ton of hikers and walkers out their enjoying the day also. I normally hit the trail early but was off to a late start this morning so that was probably why I saw a little more then usual.

Have a good one!!!
What is Stopping You?
User avatar
Moto339
 
Posts: 35
Joined: June 29th, 2010, 8:25 pm
Location: Home

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby Hermannator » July 31st, 2011, 1:07 pm

Rode last night and the trial is in amazingly good shape. Big thank you to all who keep it that way.
Do have to ask (at the risk of sounding like a wimp) if there is any plans to change that gnarly downhill after the flat section after the boy scout hill (before the little "mac" bridge)? That section is getting pretty bad and scary.
Hermannator
 
Posts: 256
Joined: August 28th, 2007, 9:41 am
Location: Howell

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby mmba7614 » July 31st, 2011, 3:13 pm

Hermannator wrote:Rode last night and the trial is in amazingly good shape. Big thank you to all who keep it that way.
Do have to ask (at the risk of sounding like a wimp) if there is any plans to change that gnarly downhill after the flat section after the boy scout hill (before the little "mac" bridge)? That section is getting pretty bad and scary.


Agree - trail is in awesome shape; and that hill is gnarly. Please don't re-route it though. If anyone is uncomfortable with their skills on that or other sections, walk it. There is a sign declaring the danger. Lowest Common Denominator is not what a mountain bike trail should seek to be.
User avatar
mmba7614
 
Posts: 262
Joined: November 15th, 2005, 1:54 am

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby bh357 » July 31st, 2011, 4:10 pm

Tree down on the first boardwalk after the fenceline in Gosling. Otherwise very good conditions.

I need to ride the Poto more than once a year.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
User avatar
bh357
 
Posts: 1559
Joined: June 21st, 2006, 9:12 am
Location: Lapeer County

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests