Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby AllMountin' » May 7th, 2011, 10:05 am

I rode it last night for the first time as well. Got a quick shower while I was out there. It firmed up the sand and there were a few wee puddles, but it was firm and fast. I was surprised at how much flowy stuff there is out there. By reputation- I was expecting a non-stop gauntlet of hills. A very fun and pretty challenging course.

I did NOT ride the Gosling loop, but got in over 20 miles and 2 laps using this route: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/83999245
Using the map: http://www.michigandnr.com/Publications/PDFS/RecreationCamping/Pinckney_BikingHiking_trails.pdf I took shortcuts from 5 to 4 and 11 to 10 on the first lap. Second lap, ran 7, 5, 6, 4, 3, 8, 9, 2. Requires very little doubling.

Don't follow that actual track for navigation. I re-ran a few sections and went the wrong way from 9 to 8 once.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby Bcar » May 8th, 2011, 8:13 am

Rode the full loop yesterday, Gosling is still wet in 3-4 spots, as in REALLY wet/muddy in a few spots, please get off and walk those. There are some stupid huge ruts from some lazy ass riders that will be there for a long while... :evil:

other than that its in good shape.
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby jlsnaptown » May 8th, 2011, 9:44 am

thanks for the trail info hope no rain this week plan on riding Poto on Friday
jlsnaptown

Postby ibike » May 11th, 2011, 8:46 pm

Anyone check out gosling last day or so? Is it rideable yet?
ibike

Postby deezler » May 14th, 2011, 11:46 pm

With all the recent rain, I bet gosling is muddy. Did not check it out today though.

However despite all this rain, and the threat of even more today, decided to hit up the Potawatomi this afternoon. Radar looked like it hadn't rained much at all up there, and would stay clear for at least a few hours, so we went for it. The main loop, minus gosling, was in terrific shape. Only a handful of tiny mud puddles in and around the lowest marshy areas and before / after wooden bridges. Most were avoidable, and I let my conscience stay clear for those tiny areas that weren't. That's just how trail riding goes.

Even with a light drizzle starting up towards the end of our ride, the trail was hard and even sandy in spots. Go for it, don't let recent rain scare you anymore. The plants are all awake and sucking up water as fast as they can. And when the sun is out it really cooks now.

Just get out and ride it.
deezler

Postby bharring » May 15th, 2011, 11:50 am

The Gosling section is still pretty muddy and there are two large tress down, plus one 25 foot swap... a little bit of *beep*! :twisted:
bharring

Postby G.Cook » May 15th, 2011, 7:41 pm

The Gosling section is still pretty muddy and there are two large tress down, plus one 25 foot swap... a little bit of *beep*

Where exactly is the dead fall ?
G.Cook

Postby ibike » May 15th, 2011, 8:31 pm

There's a very large tree across the trail on the first long downhill. It's just before where you go on pavement for a few feet at the old DNR check in booth. You will need a chainsaw (long blade) to get it.
ibike

Postby bharring » May 16th, 2011, 8:49 am

The second tree must be near Gosling Lake (heading toward Patterson Lake Rd), I remember after it you cross a dirt road. The one before it, must be a 3/4 of a mile , maybe a mile back, before this one. Sorry... not the best description.
bharring

Postby jpjones » May 26th, 2011, 12:22 pm

If anyone plans to ride Poto during the next couple days, I would appreciate a quick trail report. I'm considering a Sunday morning ride but I don't want to make the trip if the trail is soaked. Thanks!
jpjones

Postby cmkovick » May 26th, 2011, 12:29 pm

jpjones wrote:If anyone plans to ride Poto during the next couple days, I would appreciate a quick trail report. I'm considering a Sunday morning ride but I don't want to make the trip if the trail is soaked. Thanks!

I rode the full loop last weekend and there are still 4-5 sections on the Gosling loop that are very wet/muddy/slick/sloppy/etc. If we get a little break from the rain then riding the shortcut should be ok. Just add a second lap or one of the other loops to make up for Gosling.
Chuck Kovick
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee
Get on the list to help @ volunteer@waterlootrail.org
https://www.facebook.com/dtetrail/

"Build It, Before You Ride It"
cmkovick

Postby Skeg » May 26th, 2011, 12:39 pm

I rode it over the weekend and it was in pretty good shape but that was 2 inches of rain ago. Some clay sections were muddy enough to walk over and a few puddles in the usual places. Watch for the tree down on the crooked lake loop... it is still there. You can ride under it but it will scare the pants off you because it is on a long downhill.
Skeg

Postby jpjones » May 26th, 2011, 3:29 pm

great, thanks for the tips!
jpjones

Postby Laser4G63 » May 27th, 2011, 9:24 am

I am thinking about going to ride the trails for the first time in the next couple of days. I'm sure, with all the rain, that the trails aren't exactly in the best of shape. Should I forget about riding them? I'm not sure when I will be able to make it out there again, though.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby deezler » May 27th, 2011, 11:06 am

I am also curious about trail status for the next couple days over the holiday weekend. 3 to 4 inches of rain really doesn't help anything... but if the sun can come out, we might be ride-able by Saturday afternoon. Not sure though. Most trails with any serious elevation change around here are pretty sandy. With the plants growing at full speed, I'm hoping the trail bed can be dry quickly. If you have to walk around some low area mud puddles, no big deal. If you do hit the Poto, definitely skip the northern Gosling loop though. It will be mud for sure.
deezler

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions