Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby IFrider1 » April 21st, 2011, 7:57 am

Paul Brown wrote:Anybody been on the Poto yesterday, April 20th? Looking for a condition report. Obviously the Gosling Loop is crap but I am wanting to ride (14mi loop) tonight if the winds have done their thing.

Should be OK 2-nite. Rode crk lk last night and it was good. Should dry out nicely with some wind and sun today. Gosling was even good last week with only a few, typical mud spots but, may be iffy 2-nite.

See ya there. ~Eric H.
IFrider1

Postby G.Cook » April 21st, 2011, 9:41 am

Walked the short-cut and Gosling loop Wed.
Short cut -clear and sandy hard pack . Good to go .
Gosling loop- now clear of dead fall except going to the UM fence line after crossing Doyle Rd . Large hung up "spring loaded" leaner across the trail . It is going to require a bigger saw then I have and a close look at safely cutting this one out . I informed the DNR of the same this am . Be careful out there .
Still standing and streaming water and mud mostly on the return of the Gosling loop . Trash the trail , trash your running gear .
G.Cook

Postby djansen00 » April 21st, 2011, 12:59 pm

Rode the shortcut loop this morning. A little tacky but pretty much all good. Only two short soft spots in the usual places on the few miles leading up to the four corners.

There's a large tree down over the trail at the first hill of *beep*. It's right at the bottom where the new re-route starts. It will definitely require a chainsaw.
djansen00

Postby rocky roooad » April 29th, 2011, 11:55 am

Any updates on the trail conditions?
*andrea*
rocky roooad

Postby Geff » April 29th, 2011, 12:16 pm

rocky roooad wrote:Any updates on the trail conditions?

There will be 1000+ runners on the trail this weekend. Running Fit has their Trail Marathon weekend going and has a 5 mile race tomorrow and then the Half/Full marathon race on Sunday. These both will last until the early afternoon. If you are going to ride, then do it in the afternoon, and don't plan on finding a parking spot anywhere. Read: Better to find another trail or ride dirt roads this weekend.
Geff

Postby G.Cook » April 29th, 2011, 12:19 pm

Gosling will be a muuuuuuuuddddddyyyyypppppppiiiiiitttt .
G.Cook

Postby rocky roooad » April 29th, 2011, 8:45 pm

Geff wrote:

There will be 1000+ runners on the trail this weekend. Running Fit has their Trail Marathon weekend going and has a 5 mile race tomorrow and then the Half/Full marathon race on Sunday. These both will last until the early afternoon. If you are going to ride, then do it in the afternoon, and don't plan on finding a parking spot anywhere. Read: Better to find another trail or ride dirt roads this weekend.

We thought if we started at 10:30 tomorrow morning most of the runners would be gone or close to finishing. You really think there will be that many people there tomorrow morning?
*andrea*
rocky roooad

Postby Geff » April 30th, 2011, 7:10 am

rocky roooad wrote:
Geff wrote:

We thought if we started at 10:30 tomorrow morning most of the runners would be gone or close to finishing. You really think there will be that many people there tomorrow morning?

For today, there may not be that many, but maybe wait until around 11 or so. Tomorrow, it will be crazy with that many people. And all the volunteers and aid stations, etc.
Geff

Postby Dirtdevil » April 30th, 2011, 1:02 pm

Arrived there today at 10:30 and 99% of the racers were gone. Trail was in excellent shape; dry as a bone, in fact. :D (skipped Gosling) Probably the best shape it will be in all season. There are a few trees down: 1 at 2 mi (handsaw) and chainsaw ones down @ mile 3, 5, and 8.

Tomorrow is the big marathon run so it would be best to avoid.

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby djansen00 » May 4th, 2011, 8:32 am

Rode last night and checked out Gosling. It's really not ready yet unfortunately. While most of it is dry and fine, there are still a ton of bad sections and those are really bad with deep mud. I was off my bike a lot and probably ended up walking at least a half mile altogether. There's a tree down right before the UM fence/Jurassic Park that will require a chainsaw.
djansen00

Postby esdubya » May 4th, 2011, 1:38 pm

So everything else is cool other than gosling?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-Hunter S. Thompson
esdubya

Postby djansen00 » May 4th, 2011, 1:48 pm

Yep...all good.
djansen00

Postby G.Cook » May 4th, 2011, 5:01 pm

There's a tree down right before the UM fence/Jurassic Park that will require a chainsaw.

Yep . Informed the DNR 2 EFFING WEEKS AGO .
I swear , you go in that office to let the help know about the dead fall location , they make note of it on a map and as soon as you walk out the door I'm think'n they are putting it in the circular file .
I told them about that one because it is one big "spring loaded' tree and I'm don't touch that stuff . I'll try again am .
G.Cook

Postby rvd » May 7th, 2011, 12:20 am

I rode this trail for the first time today, and I really enjoyed it. I couple of tough climbs and many fun downhills. The whole trail had a very nice flow to it. Thanks to all the people putting work into this!
rvd

Postby jlsnaptown » May 7th, 2011, 9:00 am

Was seeing if Poto was dry enough to ride the entire loop coming from south of Toledo and did not want to make the trip if it was not all dry
jlsnaptown

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions