Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby djansen00 » April 8th, 2011, 8:35 pm

b_b wrote:
Ea wrote:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Better you than a DNR officer!

Yeah thanks. And darn.
djansen00

Postby Hudnut » April 8th, 2011, 8:59 pm

(c) Island Lake RA - day-use areas of the park.

What is considered a day use area? I would assume that the trail-head, or a picnic area. what about drinking out on the trail?
Don't worry. It's all downhill from here.
Hudnut

Postby adroit rider » April 8th, 2011, 9:46 pm

It says Silver Lake and Half Moon Lake units and you should consider parking at the Yurt?

Would this give you an out?

What about parking at the first road crossing after the sandy downhill?
adroit rider

Postby barrybs » April 8th, 2011, 10:02 pm

Here's another little clause:

Additionally, a September 17, 1993 Land Use Order signed by the DNR director states:

(9) A person shall not do the following at Pickerel Lake Access Site, Pinckney Recreation Area:
(a) Consume or possess any alcoholic beverage within ? mile surrounding and including the parking lot at Pickerel lake, Section 8, T1S R4E, as posted.

Looks like you're good to drink on the trail. :)
I was riding the entrance road out from the Yurt this winter and saw an unopened ice cold bottle of Blue Moon sitting on top of a wooden post. It was good :D

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Poto: Potawatomi

Postby Bento » April 9th, 2011, 7:36 pm

Around 16:00-ish, I rode the last few sections after the Crooked Lake camp ground road crossing. It was dry in most areas but moist in a few spots. Can't speak to rest of the loop. The dirt roads in the area were dry to moist too. Clean bike finish.

Now for a complete shocker, the Gosling Loop next to Kelly Rd was slick to muddy.

[url="http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc449/Full_Rigid/Poto/8fddb869.jpg"]http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc449/Full_Rigid/Poto/8fddb869.jpg[/url]
Bento

Postby jajones » April 10th, 2011, 9:53 am

Poto not good to ride right now. Recent rains plus continued cold have made the top very greasy in many places. I was very disturbed to see lots of "pizza cuts" on my inspection this morning.

People, it is very simple. If you are leaving behind big pizza cut ruts in many places this time of year, the trail is NOT ready to ride! F the worms being out. F the air temp being 70f. F the sun being out. All you have to know is that if you are sinking in, you are committing a sin. Ride a f'ing dirt road route when it is like this in April. It won't kill you.
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
Waterloo Executive Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Chapter of the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA)

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby adroit rider » April 10th, 2011, 10:45 am

Yesterday, I ran into a family riding the trail, that live on Portage Lake, and asked them about the leaf removal "trail maintenance" and the son was adamant the work was done in preparation for a foot race about a month ago. He was recovering from knee surgery (fall football injury) and his PT did the run and discussed it with the him.

I cannot find reference to an organized run held at the Poto last month but talking with the organizers would be a good place to start.
adroit rider

Postby Geff » April 10th, 2011, 11:23 am

I've sent out messages and they have been forwarded to all the running groups I know about the recent "trail maintenance" on the Poto. Also, spoke with a pal who rides/xcountry skis Brighton all the time since that is his backyard, and he will keep an eye out for new intrusions. Will report back anything I hear that comes my way from those user groups.
Geff

Postby Paul Brown » April 11th, 2011, 6:14 am

The "King" can run the loop blind folded, any pansy ass mofo's who try to make the trail an ILRA type running path so they don't twist their little ankle should have their running shoes burned. And any idiot carving up the trail because they are too self centered to consider others should have their tires flattened (for a month). :evil: F'in jackasses. Ok, I'm better now.
Paul Brown

Postby Geff » April 11th, 2011, 6:50 am

Paul Brown wrote:The "King" can run the loop blind folded, any pansy ass mofo's who try to make the trail an ILRA type running path so they don't twist their little ankle should have their running shoes burned. And any idiot carving up the trail because they are too self centered to consider others should have their tires flattened (for a month). :evil: F'in jackasses. Ok, I'm better now.

+1! BTW...I hear Island Lake is a mess right now with pizza cutter marks all over it, etc.
Geff

Postby ihateplaindave » April 11th, 2011, 7:46 am

...I hear Island Lake is a mess right now with pizza cutter marks all over it, etc.

It always is, every spring.
ihateplaindave

Postby Czachorski » April 11th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Poto not good to ride right now. Recent rains plus continued cold have made the top very greasy in many places. I was very disturbed to see lots of "pizza cuts" on my inspection this morning.

People, it is very simple. If you are leaving behind big pizza cut ruts in many places this time of year, the trail is NOT ready to ride! F the worms being out. F the air temp being 70f. F the sun being out. All you have to know is that if you are sinking in, you are committing a sin. Ride a f'ing dirt road route when it is like this in April. It won't kill you.

I find this time of year to be very confusing, and posts like this make me feel very uncomfortable, despite taking proper precautions, reviewing trail conditions, and using good judgment on the trail. There is a high degree of emotion and anger in these posts that I do not think are necessary.

I rode the poto on both Saturday and Sunday, found the trail conditions wonderful, and I am not afraid to admit to riding it, despite the conflicting posts in this thread. Before deciding to ride it on Saturday, I checked here and saw the several posts on April 8 reporting good trail conditions. Knowing that opinions may vary, I have always taken an approach this time of year that reports here will be enough for me to drive to the trail, but riding it is always going to be based on what I see and experience. i.e. - any poor conditions that I observe, and the ride is off. If I encounter them while riding, I will get off the bike, push the bike or carry it through them or turn around, so as not to do any damage. That was not necessary this weekend on the sections that I rode - the trail was in great shape.

On saturday I took both shortcuts, skipping the south and north loop. On sunday, I rode the south loop, and took the north loop short cut, knowing that the north loop always stays muddy longer and take longer to dry out. The trail is hard packed from a good winter packing, and was some of the best riding I've seen on the Poto - even better than mid season when the sand lot gets very loose and hard to maneuver through.

On Saturday only, the little trail section from the parking lot to the road crossing was a little sticky - not sinking in, but just moist and sticky. This was gone on Sunday. When I first saw this on Sat, I thought - uh-oh, if this gets any worse, the trail is not going to be rideable. That was it, though - that was the only section that was sticky like that. The rest was high and dry. It makes me wonder about the extensiveness of this trail inspection performed on Saturday morning? Was it beyond this section of trail right next to the parking lot? Was it focusing on just the north loop, which I didn't even venture too because I know there are a few sections that need more time to dry. The main loop and south loop were in such good shape for me on Sat and Sun, that it is almost like we were inspecting two different trails.
Czachorski

Postby Elno Lewis » April 11th, 2011, 12:06 pm

ok, that was good to hear. I was planning on riding poto tuesday or wednesday after work.

Thanks Czachorski--good post there dude.
Palmdale! Come back to me!
I need you and I love you!
Elno Lewis

Postby chong » April 11th, 2011, 12:52 pm

Elno Lewis wrote:Thanks Czachorski--good post there dude.

++.
chong

Postby jajones » April 11th, 2011, 1:04 pm

Czachorski wrote:

I find this time of year to be very confusing, and posts like this make me feel very uncomfortable, despite taking proper precautions, reviewing trail conditions, and using good judgment on the trail. There is a high degree of emotion and anger in these posts that I do not think are necessary.

I rode the poto on both Saturday and Sunday, found the trail conditions wonderful, and I am not afraid to admit to riding it, despite the conflicting posts in this thread. Before deciding to ride it on Saturday, I checked here and saw the several posts on April 8 reporting good trail conditions. Knowing that opinions may vary, I have always taken an approach this time of year that reports here will be enough for me to drive to the trail, but riding it is always going to be based on what I see and experience. i.e. - any poor conditions that I observe, and the ride is off. If I encounter them while riding, I will get off the bike, push the bike or carry it through them or turn around, so as not to do any damage. That was not necessary this weekend on the sections that I rode - the trail was in great shape.

On saturday I took both shortcuts, skipping the south and north loop. On sunday, I rode the south loop, and took the north loop short cut, knowing that the north loop always stays muddy longer and take longer to dry out. The trail is hard packed from a good winter packing, and was some of the best riding I've seen on the Poto - even better than mid season when the sand lot gets very loose and hard to maneuver through.

On Saturday only, the little trail section from the parking lot to the road crossing was a little sticky - not sinking in, but just moist and sticky. This was gone on Sunday. When I first saw this on Sat, I thought - uh-oh, if this gets any worse, the trail is not going to be rideable. That was it, though - that was the only section that was sticky like that. The rest was high and dry. It makes me wonder about the extensiveness of this trail inspection performed on Saturday morning? Was it beyond this section of trail right next to the parking lot? Was it focusing on just the north loop, which I didn't even venture too because I know there are a few sections that need more time to dry. The main loop and south loop were in such good shape for me on Sat and Sun, that it is almost like we were inspecting two different trails.

If you rode and you did not leave behind pizza cuts in certain sections of the trail, good on you. You did nothing wrong. This time of year, the trail rideability varies greatly depending on rain, temperature swings, sunshine, etc. Many sections of the Poto are very rideable depending on when you choose to go. Many sections are also still in a state of transition and, if you ride them at the wrong time, you are going to sink in and leave cuts. On Sunday morning (before the weather turned), I inspected several typical problem sections of the trail, and found pizza cuts from bikes. My point is simply this: sinking in is a sin. If you can ride any or all sections and not leave cuts, do so. If, however, you find yourself at any point in time leaving a cut in the trail behind your ride, don't f'ing ride it. It is that simple. From what I saw, it was apparent that this rule was being violated at some time in the recent past. I don't get it. It is like a dog sh'ting in his own bed. I rode certain sections of the Poto on Sunday. They were sections I knew were good. This time of year, you just can't go out there with the expectation that you can ride the entire trail and that it will be all good, and this is part of my point. Just because you can ride 80 percent without a trace, doesn't mean that if you f up the other 20 percent that that is o.k. If you aren't sure what you can ride without pizza cut impact this time of year, then you shouldn't ride unless you are going to head out afterwards and fill your f'ing tracks in. I'm not a f'ing housekeeper and myself and a few (stress the word "few") other committed volunteers that have to constantly clean up the steamy sht piles left by a few selfish riders this time of year gets old.
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
Waterloo Executive Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Chapter of the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA)

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions