Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby MLKuhl » September 24th, 2013, 10:24 am

Also agree, you guys do a tremendous job.
Matt

2014 Soma Juice
1987 Miyata 912
MLKuhl

Postby RobM » September 24th, 2013, 11:49 am

Sorry it seems like my comment was taken wrongly. I wasn't complaining about the re-route at all or that something changed. I understand that the trail is dynamic, perhaps you could say 'living'. I think it will be a great route once broken in. I was just wondering how the re-routes get determined (i.e. why that hill vs. other areas out there) and you explained that with regard to the sand pit and broken collar bones. I can see how that 'grabby' sand at the bottom could do that. I appreciate all the work you guys do out there maintaining the trail. I know it is a lot of work -- I spent tons of hours building a trail back in the late 90s.
RobM

Postby jajones » September 24th, 2013, 11:51 am

RobM wrote:Sorry it seems like my comment was taken wrongly. I wasn't complaining about the re-route at all or that something changed. I understand that the trail is dynamic, perhaps you could say 'living'. I think it will be a great route once broken in. I was just wondering how the re-routes get determined (i.e. why that hill vs. other areas out there) and you explained that with regard to the sand pit and broken collar bones. I can see how that 'grabby' sand at the bottom could do that. I appreciate all the work you guys do out there maintaining the trail. I know it is a lot of work -- I spent tons of hours building a trail back in the late 90s.

Don't worry, Rob. Your comments weren't taken wrong. I just wanted to take some time to explain things as I see them.
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Waterloo (MTB Trail System) Working Group, Acting Chair

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby bax » September 24th, 2013, 8:31 pm

Trail smooth and clear ( sand not too loose). The re-route is really sweet, looks like alot of thought went into the layout, it rides well. Ton of work on

that new addition.... sayin thanks doesn't quite cover it.
bax

Postby barry1me » September 24th, 2013, 10:50 pm

trails were great tonight, what a nice night to ride.
barry1me

Postby bergie05 » September 25th, 2013, 5:37 am

Trail was perfect last night, re-route is first class. Thanks to all those who put it in!
bergie05

Postby teach58 » September 26th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Wow, I cannot wait to see / ride the reroute. I welcome changes that others smarter than I deem as good for the trail. I also like a little variety. If I had a voice, which I am not really entitled to, I would wish for changes that do not make the trail "easier". Easy is not why I love this trail.
Many thanks to all who do the hard work that makes every 70 minute drive I make to Poto worth it & then some.
Cheers!
teach58

Postby teach58 » September 28th, 2013, 12:04 pm

Fantastic work on the reroute! Nothing lost & much gained IMHO. Well planned & executed. Thanks! Oh by the way; perfect trail conditions this morning.
teach58

Postby akellah » September 28th, 2013, 4:11 pm

I made it out to Poto for the first time ever today. Talk about an incredible flow!

I did get a little turned around at one point and went the wrong way down a segment. Can someone confirm that these are the correct markers in order to hit the full loop?

7 > 5 > 6 > 4 > 12 > 11 > 10 > 9 > 2 > 1

I blew past the extra loop right at the beginning and went straight from marker 5 to 4. Then later on I missed the sign that said "wrong way" and crossed over Silver Hill Rd and started heading toward marker 3. Once I saw some bikers coming at me I realized I screwed up and headed back down. Anyway, if someone could confirm that route I'd appreciate it for next time.
akellah

Postby teach58 » September 28th, 2013, 9:26 pm

I do not have the "numbers" memorized. But I was told a long time ago to turn left whenever given an option. I think that works?
teach58

Postby jthomp » September 29th, 2013, 6:11 am

teach58 wrote:I do not have the "numbers" memorized. But I was told a long time ago to turn left whenever given an option. I think that works?

I think you're right except at 7ish miles you turn right.
Life BYGG is all there is.
jthomp

Postby akellah » September 29th, 2013, 7:51 am

teach58 wrote:I do not have the "numbers" memorized. But I was told a long time ago to turn left whenever given an option. I think that works?

My bad, I was looking at the map on the DNR's websites for the marker numbers:
http://www.michigandnr.com/Publications/PDFS/RecreationCamping/Pinckney_BikingHiking_trails.pdf
akellah

Postby teach58 » September 29th, 2013, 12:56 pm

I think that map is still accurate. So yeah, keep turning left except at Waterloo branch.
teach58

Postby trace_029 » September 29th, 2013, 4:11 pm

I rode the Poto for the first time early yesterday morning. The trail seemed to be in great shape. I thought the trail markers @ the intersections were very helpful for keeping me on track for the full loop.

There were only a couple of places that had me confused...one was the dirt road @ Gosling lake. I had a trail map in my back pocket and eventually was able to figure out that I needed to ride the dirt road and pick up the single track again @ the end across Patterson Lake Rd.

Then the other place was near north side of Crooked Lake. There was small trail that heads off towards the left (which was actually straight since the bike trail curves to the right at that point and heads downhill) but since I also had in my head to always turn left...I went left. I figured out pretty quickly that I was going the wrong way and turned it around.
trace_029

Postby barry1me » October 1st, 2013, 7:18 pm

trail was in awesome shape tonight. Poopy part is I lost my multitool somewhere in the second half of the full loop. If anyone happens to find one please let me know!! Thanks
barry1me

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments