Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby georgemra » March 20th, 2011, 10:51 am

The Poto is looking good, but not quite ready for mid-day riding yet. Got out this morning when everything was still frozen from the night before. There are still some ice spots (although very few), but the trail is in pretty good shape. With this week of above freezing temps, this trail could be ready pretty soon. The were some ruts out there, so be patient, or ride early in the morning.
georgemra

Postby Thinair » March 25th, 2011, 4:43 pm

Anyone been riding the Poto this week? Thinking it should be great riding this weekend considering the temps last week and the cold snap we are having now.
Brett (AKA The California Guy)
Thinair

Postby tadraper » March 26th, 2011, 12:37 pm

did the double shortcut today SingleSpeed. The trail was in good shape, early morning while it is cold is the best time right now.
2017 Farley EX 8
2016 Crux Expert Evo
2016 C-Dale 29er Tandem
2013 Origin8 Paladin with my son
2010 Gary Fisher Triton SS
tadraper

Postby Thinair » March 26th, 2011, 4:40 pm

Did the 14 mile loop this morning starting at 10AM, any mud I ran into was frozen. Towards the end of the ride sunny spots were getting greasy near the Yurt. Sunday should be another good morning ride, but I woundn't go after 10-11Am. Great day riding! Drove to Milford to join the gang out there after riding the Poto. I'm beat! Going to ride the couch now.
Thinair

Postby chong » April 2nd, 2011, 8:02 pm

Anyone ridden this lately? Is it still ok early in the morning?
chong

Postby G.Cook » April 2nd, 2011, 8:17 pm

No. The forecast sucks for the next few days . It will be a mud fest .
G.Cook

Postby Roy » April 4th, 2011, 4:16 pm

2 follow up: the frost is out of the ground at White Lake! :mrgreen:
Roy
Roy

Postby Thinair » April 5th, 2011, 9:24 pm

The Poto IS ready for spring riding. I went out there expecting to have to walk sections, but left no tracks. Anyone who says this trail is not ready to ride hasn't scoped it or is communist. :-) God bless you, now go forth and ride.

In the parking lot I talked to about a dozen riders who were coming off the trail with dry bikes reporting excellent conditions. No one is riding the north loop yet, but the first 14 are good to go. There was one wet section before a boardwalk that always has one or two mud holes, but those are usually wet throughout the summer. Anything that looked muddy was hard. The dirt road after the water pump, near the campground, and before boyscout hill had mud, but it's a road so no big deal. The top of boyscout hill had what looked like elephant foot prints from someone who ran through before the trail was ready. There were a few old pizza cutter marks from previous weeks, but they were healing and smoothing out by today's riders. No trees down, but there was a huge vine hanging ready for a Tarzan attempt on the first downhill after the first trail intersection.

The only thing not ready for riding was my body. I barely did a 1:30 and this was only 14 miles.

I know I know I'm going to be labeled one of "those" guys who ruin the trail for the rest.....but seriously the trail is good to go. I would still avoid the north loop AKA the gosling loop for a while, and give at least 24 hours after a storm for the trail to drain well.

What I want to know is why someone would rake or blow all the leaves off the trail and remove rocks from the first few miles??? Seems a bit too invasive. I kinda expect to see leaves and some light debris in a trail through the woods. Leaves fill in the trail scars and help to prevent erosion, they also look good. The removed rocks hold the soil and prevent further erosion, I expect new rocks will be exposed as the soil runs off the newly exposed areas because of this. Just didn't make sense to me. It also must have taken HOURS unless it was done by machine which also seems a little too invasive. Sigh...
Thinair

Postby ADDam » April 5th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Thanks Brett! If it doesn't pour tomorrow, I may go check out the Poto Thursday.
Adam G
ADDam

Postby IFrider1 » April 6th, 2011, 7:44 am

Thinair wrote:The Poto IS ready for spring riding. I went out there expecting to have to walk sections, but left no tracks. Anyone who says this trail is not ready to ride hasn't scoped it or is communist. :-) God bless you, now go forth and ride.

In the parking lot I talked to about a dozen riders who were coming off the trail with dry bikes reporting excellent conditions. No one is riding the north loop yet, but the first 14 are good to go. There was one wet section before a boardwalk that always has one or two mud holes, but those are usually wet throughout the summer. Anything that looked muddy was hard. The dirt road after the water pump, near the campground, and before boyscout hill had mud, but it's a road so no big deal. The top of boyscout hill had what looked like elephant foot prints from someone who ran through before the trail was ready. There were a few old pizza cutter marks from previous weeks, but they were healing and smoothing out by today's riders. No trees down, but there was a huge vine hanging ready for a Tarzan attempt on the first downhill after the first trail intersection.

The only thing not ready for riding was my body. I barely did a 1:30 and this was only 14 miles.

I know I know I'm going to be labeled one of "those" guys who ruin the trail for the rest.....but seriously the trail is good to go. I would still avoid the north loop AKA the gosling loop for a while, and give at least 24 hours after a storm for the trail to drain well.

What I want to know is why someone would rake or blow all the leaves off the trail and remove rocks from the first few miles??? Seems a bit too invasive. I kinda expect to see leaves and some light debris in a trail through the woods. Leaves fill in the trail scars and help to prevent erosion, they also look good. The removed rocks hold the soil and prevent further erosion, I expect new rocks will be exposed as the soil runs off the newly exposed areas because of this. Just didn't make sense to me. It also must have taken HOURS unless it was done by machine which also seems a little too invasive. Sigh...

I concur - rode Tuesday night and it was great. Conditions can still vary if it gets below freezing and or rains but, people should be able to make up their own mind.

I noticed the leaves blown off about two weeks ago and reported to Bill Mayer. Yep, somone dug out a bunch of baby-head sized rocks for about a half mile after the LH turn at the big flat rock. Can people just leave *beep* alone?

Go take a look at Brighton Rec. While the Poto is good to go because the leaves were left on all winter BRA is a differenent story. The leaves were blown off last fall (even though they were mostly decomposing at the time and the riding over them was fast and tacky). BRA is mostly a greasy mess. There are some small sections with leaves that are dry and firm (underneath said leaves) right next door to the sections that were blown - greasy. rant off -
IFrider1

Postby Geff » April 6th, 2011, 7:50 am

Thanks for these reports and updates. Agreed...just leave the trail alone! What is the deal with that? 20+ years ago, we just rode what was there. Sure, knowledge about re routes, etc. have helped, but Mother Nature really knows what is going on and just leave it be. Quit trying to change things in that manner with blowing leaves off and moving rocks.
Geff

Postby G.Cook » April 6th, 2011, 11:19 am

This all day rain is going to turn it into goo .
Firm believer in letting them leaves be . Something that came to mind when I surveyed the Gosling loop on Fri.
G.Cook

Postby Geff » April 6th, 2011, 12:40 pm

G.Cook wrote:This all day rain is going to turn it into goo .
Firm believer in letting them leaves be . Something that came to mind when I surveyed the Gosling loop on Fri.

+1
Geff

Postby jajones » April 6th, 2011, 12:42 pm

Sorry I can't currently contribute to the Poto Trail Report. But, I can report that while it is currently sunny and near 80 degrees in Miami, the surf is flat and sucky today.
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
Waterloo Executive Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Chapter of the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA)

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby barrybs » April 6th, 2011, 12:46 pm

Thinair wrote:What I want to know is why someone would rake or blow all the leaves off the trail and remove rocks from the first few miles??? Seems a bit too invasive. I kinda expect to see leaves and some light debris in a trail through the woods. Leaves fill in the trail scars and help to prevent erosion, they also look good. The removed rocks hold the soil and prevent further erosion, I expect new rocks will be exposed as the soil runs off the newly exposed areas because of this. Just didn't make sense to me. It also must have taken HOURS unless it was done by machine which also seems a little too invasive. Sigh...

We've been trying to figure out who did the "trail maintenance". It doesn't appear to be anyone affiliated with the MMBA. I'm the trail adopter from the start of the trail to flat rock hill and I don't believe in blowing leaves and would never remove a rock or root from the trail. All I do is remove deadfall and brush out the sides of the trail. Maybe it's the same person that paints numbers on the trees with blue paint. :x
Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions