Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby barrybs » August 8th, 2013, 10:08 am

Got .75" of rain yesterday....probably needs to dry today.
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby teach58 » August 9th, 2013, 4:14 pm

Don't know how wet the trail was yesterday but it was great this morning. A couple lingering small wet low spots but that was it. Great ride. Yes, the branch is still hanging there.:)
teach58

Postby brokenbones » August 11th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Stuck in town this weekend, so hit up Poto both days. Trail was absolutely perfect everywhere. Oh, except for the few I-clods I got stuck behind here and there.

The now famous hanging branch was touching the ground yesterday. Today it had been trimmed up to eye level, so now it's hanging without support. It would have been better left alone, unless they're coming back later to finish the job.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby G.Cook » August 11th, 2013, 7:39 pm

The hanger , that Jajones mentions below , has been taken out . By the Land Mgr. no less. :icon_thumright:
Last edited by G.Cook on August 14th, 2013, 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
G.Cook

Postby jajones » August 11th, 2013, 7:51 pm

We are contacting the Area Manager of Pinckney Rec on this again tomorrow. This branch is VERY dangerous right now. If you come upon it, don't touch it!
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Waterloo (MTB Trail System) Working Group, Acting Chair

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby G.Cook » August 14th, 2013, 3:24 pm

it is gone.
G.Cook

Postby chong » August 15th, 2013, 2:39 pm

Trail was MINT last night. Super tacky and fast. There was a tree down, but I'm a bit fuzzy as to recalling where. I'm pretty sure its within the first 3 miles of the trail from the Silver Lake parking lot. Better riders than myself could probably hop it.
chong

Postby barrybs » August 15th, 2013, 3:00 pm

chong wrote:Trail was MINT last night. Super tacky and fast. There was a tree down, but I'm a bit fuzzy as to recalling where. I'm pretty sure its within the first 3 miles of the trail from the Silver Lake parking lot. Better riders than myself could probably hop it.

Gonna remove that one tonight
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby Zoo1424 » August 18th, 2013, 7:25 pm

Came down to ride this for the first time today. Trail was in great shape & I had a ball. Will definitely have to venture back down again.
09 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
14 Specialized Crave SL
14 Salsa Beargrease
Zoo1424

Postby jthomp » August 25th, 2013, 8:21 pm

Rode the 18 mile loop today. Trail was great, if not "too dry".

Somewhere after the first long bridge I lost a Gopro seat post mount if anybody found and could return it that would be appreciated.

Thanks, JT
Life BYGG is all there is.
jthomp

Postby Czachorski » September 1st, 2013, 10:41 am

Rode the trail yesterday with my daughter's helmet cam and made this video. It capture the trail experience on the Poto nicely for those like me who think this is the best singletrack around.

Trail was in great shape, with the usual late summer sand and dust. Recent trail improvement and reroutes this summer have been really nice. Heading back tomorrow morning. It's gotta be a 2 ride weekend.
Czachorski

Postby MLKuhl » September 1st, 2013, 7:54 pm

Yup, hands down my favorite trail as well. Nice video, edit the trail runners? ;)

Looking forward to the TTC this weekend!
Matt
MLKuhl

Postby Spartan_Don » September 6th, 2013, 7:54 am

I'm in my first year of MTB, put in about a ride a week this summer. Registered for the TTC on Sat. I'm a little nervous as I've never ridden Poto before, the most I've done in a day is about 15 miles, and I'm not in great physical shape. I have ridden Murray Lake, Maybury, Proud Lake, Milford, Tree Farm, and Island Lake multiple times each and am expecting Poto to be the most difficult of those.

A couple of questions:

- Does Poto have water refill stations?
- Is the trail real sandy right now?
- Poto is the most difficult stretch of this trail, correct? Or do the new sections or Waterloo trail have more difficult challenges?
- Any other tips for a newbie such as myself?
Spartan_Don

Postby Paul Brown » September 6th, 2013, 8:07 am

Spartan_Don wrote:I'm in my first year of MTB, put in about a ride a week this summer. Registered for the TTC on Sat. I'm a little nervous as I've never ridden Poto before, the most I've done in a day is about 15 miles, and I'm not in great physical shape. I have ridden Murray Lake, Maybury, Proud Lake, Milford, Tree Farm, and Island Lake multiple times each and am expecting Poto to be the most difficult of those.

A couple of questions:

- Poto is the most difficult stretch of this trail, correct? Or do the new sections or Waterloo trail have more difficult challenges?

-No-The TTC has a gas station stop about half was thru.
-Trails is always more sandy (in certain areas) this time of year as the sand migration is about complete.
-There are one or two big-ish (for SE MI) climbs on Waterloo you may have to hike, not a big deal though.
-study and carry a map of the route, there are plenty of bail out/short cuts you can take if you feel over taxed.

good for you for giving it a shot, If you are in doubt of your ability to do 40 miles, you can even have a driver in Gregory at the gas station (see TTC map) pick you up if need be.
Paul Brown

Postby risnewski » September 6th, 2013, 6:41 pm

For a new rider, the hills can seem like a lot, but there's nothing terribly technical. Most of the sand on Poto comes in sections that aren't part of the TTT and except for one climb, most if it isn't that big a deal.

Best advice I have is to get there early and take it nice and slow and enjoy the scenery. Hammering is what tends to really wear folks out fast. Nice thing about this ride is there will be a couple hundred riders out there and plenty of them will be glad to lend a hand if something goes wrong.

Anyone know if the mountain bike patrol will be out?

Spartan_Don wrote:I'm in my first year of MTB, put in about a ride a week this summer. Registered for the TTC on Sat. I'm a little nervous as I've never ridden Poto before, the most I've done in a day is about 15 miles, and I'm not in great physical shape. I have ridden Murray Lake, Maybury, Proud Lake, Milford, Tree Farm, and Island Lake multiple times each and am expecting Poto to be the most difficult of those.

A couple of questions:

risnewski

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments