Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby barrybs » August 2nd, 2013, 5:13 pm

shopsonian wrote:How wet are the trails? Or better yet, how wet will they be in the morning?

We only got a few sprinkles today so trail should be good right now. As far as tomorrow morning, if I could predict the future I would be riding a better bike. :lol: (just kidding)
If the rain holds off, trail should be fine tomorrow.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby Shaft » August 3rd, 2013, 6:02 pm

Great shape.
Shaft

Postby teach58 » August 3rd, 2013, 8:37 pm

Hmm.., no recent posts so I assume the trail is awesome?
teach58

Postby cmkovick » August 3rd, 2013, 9:21 pm

I rode it Friday afternoon and it was in great shape. One greasy spot and the sand was pretty firm. Heading there in the morning for a lap or two!
Waterloo Working Group
Fatback 190 aka Big Booty Queen B of Waterloo
Stumpy Marathon HT
Salsa El Mariachi SS
KLR 650
cmkovick

Postby teach58 » August 3rd, 2013, 9:24 pm

Thanks! Was uncertain about recent rainfall.
teach58

Postby teach58 » August 4th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Answer to above post is not wet at all! Trail was ideal this morning. There were a couple of branches almost blocking the trail but not quite. These were shortly after the road crossing / boardwalk but before the tough hills. What is the name of that road @ Pickerel Lake - is that Hankard? So nice there today with the starting temp in the low sixties. Perfect!
teach58

Postby hackerj » August 5th, 2013, 7:27 am

Yup, it is Hankard
hackerj

Postby georgemra » August 5th, 2013, 8:30 am

Rode Saturday and the trail was amazing. There was a large branch hanging over the trail about a tenth of a mile past the top of the first HOH.
georgemra

Postby G.Cook » August 5th, 2013, 9:08 am

Saw that . It's a very sketchy situation in the way that whole thing is hung up. Not sure how well it attached at the breaking point. If it is secure the DNR has a policy of just letting it be until nature takes it's course. It has already been trimmed so that a trail user can get under it . To do anymore then that will , I think , will require the DNR to do some cutting. They get paid for that kind of work. :wink:
G.Cook

Postby barrybs » August 5th, 2013, 11:40 am

G.Cook wrote:Saw that . It's a very sketchy situation in the way that whole thing is hung up. Not sure how well it attached at the breaking point. If it is secure the DNR has a policy of just letting it be until nature takes it's course. It has already been trimmed so that a trail user can get under it . To do anymore then that will , I think , will require the DNR to do some cutting. They get paid for that kind of work. :wink:

I stopped and scoped it out yesterday on the way by, it looks very dangerous to me. There is little weight on the ground, mostly hanging from above. If I were the DNR I would attach a rope to it, cut off the rest of the lower limbs and swing it back and forth a bit and I think it would snap. I think you should turn it in to C.D. @ PRA, this is outside of our job description.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby G.Cook » August 5th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Talked to Barb , Pinckney Land Supervisor , about it this AM . She is going to send out her more experienced staff when they are available. The idea of using the Gator to bring it down maybe the way to go . I advised it was a very dangerous and sketchy situation .
*beep* no , we don't get paid enough for dealing with that situation.
G.Cook

Postby reidabel » August 5th, 2013, 5:29 pm

Pictures? I'd love to see it before it is taken down. I rode here two days ago and we didn't see it ...
reidabel

Postby Hermannator » August 6th, 2013, 9:01 pm

That tree does not look good. Looking for it tonight I didn't realize how bad it was until I passed it and looked back. Hopefully a windstorm takes it down at night when no one is around.

BTW the trail was in good shape despite the rain today. The horseflies are also in really good shape and quite persistent (especially on the Gosling loop).
Hermannator

Postby AnotherFolkRider » August 8th, 2013, 8:01 am

Anyone getting out there today? Wondering what shape it's in after yesterday.
AnotherFolkRider

Postby teach58 » August 8th, 2013, 9:50 am

Wondering the same /\.
teach58

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments