Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby G.Cook » January 8th, 2011, 6:30 pm

No problem . See ya next time .
G.Cook

Postby Bento » January 15th, 2011, 8:19 am

Last night, I made it to the first crossing of Silver Hill Road, that is, not far. The snow on the trail has a ski track, of course with foot prints. IMHO it was way too loose for "non-Pugsley" tires. If you come out, bring skis. Bring the non-fat bike only if it wants to go for a ride in the car.

Potto Raid Sunday:
http://www.mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=101618
Bento

Postby barrybs » January 20th, 2011, 10:01 pm

Poto trail conditions update:

I went out tonight and cleared some junk off the trail up by Patterson Lk. and then went over to Silver Lk. and hiked the Silver Lk. trail.

The trail was totally snowcovered, hardpacked, with no glare ice. There were two sets of tire tracks from this evening. looked like non snowbike, without studs.
It looked like it would be very good riding with or without studded tires. Skiing would be fast, most of the roots and rocks are still covered.

If we get an inch or so of snow, skiing or biking should both be good this weekend. :D

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby Bento » January 22nd, 2011, 8:45 pm

Full loop took twice as along as summer. Crunchy narrow track. Foot prints made for a jiggleful ride when the snowmobile didn't smooth things out. Gosling was even narrower with mainly crusty XC ski tracks. Wished I would followed the other two bikers and short cutted. I rolled with studs. No tree blockages.
Bento

Postby Bento » January 29th, 2011, 11:55 am

I am sure conditions have changed since 21:00 Friday. The track was best by the entry booth loop. Not many hikers there. The amount of foot prints is based on proximity to the neighbors, duh. No tire tracks I could make out. Studs were not required. Overall, 7 out of 10.
Bento

Postby risnewski » February 11th, 2011, 8:17 pm

I skied the Crooked Lake loop today and trail is very firmly packed down. I would guess it's perfect for a ride on Saturday.
risnewski

Postby Bento » February 12th, 2011, 3:54 pm

Early lunchtime Poto/Crooked loop today. Under similar conditions, I will take the shortcut at post six (top of the booth downhill). The "trail" wasn't as firm & wide as on Crooked. The footprints kept bouncing me into deep stuff. Had to walk most of that portion. Didn't think I messed it up too much for XC skiers on Crooked. Thank goodness labs don't have powerful jaws. Might want to avoid riding tomorrow given the current weather prediction.
Bento

Postby barrybs » February 18th, 2011, 6:46 pm

I drove over and walked a couple of short sections of the Poto this evening.

The first section from the Silver Lake Trailhead was an inch or two of soft bumpy ice.
The downhill to the guard shack was totally bare. (afternoon sun).
The section after the guard shack was about 50/50 ice and bare dirt.

With a low of 23 tonight everything will be firmed up in the morning but thaw quickly in the sun.
If you're gonna ride, ride early before the thaw :!:

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby Bento » February 19th, 2011, 1:21 pm

After all that wind yesterday, the Poto was essentially clear this morning. I left a more than a few small branches that didn't bother me. Dragged off a pine at the turn towards the entry booth. After the bridge whose entry was rerouted, I cleared a rotted tree that seemed like it "exploded" into 4ft sections on to the trail. Gosling was 90% snow/ice and the rest of the loop was about 20% snow ice. The ice, snow and dirt never got soft before my 11:30 clean bike finish. OTH, the clown that left SB8 tracks on most of the short loop yesterday, most likely had a very muddy bike. As usual conditions will change soon.
Bento

Postby tadraper » February 20th, 2011, 11:31 am

I tried riding this morning way to much ice for me. walked while caring my bike most of the way, the parts that had no ice were nice and hard but had to turn back to the car at the ranger shack. it sure makes me look forward to warmer weather and riding the trail. Maybe i should purchase some studded tires.
2017 Farley EX 8
2016 Crux Expert Evo
2016 C-Dale 29er Tandem
2013 Origin8 Paladin with my son
2010 Gary Fisher Triton SS
tadraper

Postby Paul Brown » February 21st, 2011, 9:16 am

Yea, I went out there Sunday at 9am and as far as I was concerened it was mostly ice covered. I don't get the 80% clear report. We ended up doing a 45mi dirt road loop outlined in that county dirt road loop book. Nice route right out Silver Hill road from the parking lot.
Paul Brown

Postby Geff » February 21st, 2011, 11:24 am

That book is AWESOME! Can't wait to get off my *beep* and put it to use myself.
Geff

Postby D_man16 » March 18th, 2011, 8:18 am

still need to wait? Or has she thawed?
By the ticket take the ride- H. Thompson
D_man16

Postby Paul Brown » March 18th, 2011, 8:27 am

D_man16 wrote:still need to wait? Or has she thawed?

Go to http://mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7171&start=1290 and use the link provided for ground temps by Klydesdale as a guide. Its way to early to expect the ground to be able to perk (be totally thawed). Usually mid-april is a good time to start to make the judgment.
Paul Brown

Postby G.Cook » March 18th, 2011, 12:38 pm

wait .
G.Cook

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions