Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby utabintarbo » November 29th, 2010, 7:26 am

tjjp8285 wrote:When is the Abomidable snowman ride this year? Any more details would be great

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101332
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby Bento » December 13th, 2010, 12:31 pm

I missed the Abominable Ride by a day or should I say those that rode yesterday missed it. Rode Poto for a full loop around about 10:00AM. I had first tracks for some portions, for others I saw a fat tire bike's tracks. Gearing down the SS was a good move. Snow laden branches made for a wet ride. Too late to trim I suppose, next year I am on it. Finished up before the snow came on strong. A few cars on the road had XC skis on top as I was heading out. Good XC skiing for a few days, not so good for MTB.
Bento

Postby barrybs » December 15th, 2010, 12:04 pm

Anyone been out on the Gosling Loop since the snow ? I'm wondering if there's enough snow to CC ski. The groomed stuff by my house is a little thin.

Thanks...Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby Bento » December 23rd, 2010, 5:00 pm

I completed a short cut assisted loop this morning. No studs required as it is not icey, just bumpy from footprints. Of course, it is a bit smoother at the end, after the Crooked Lk junction. Quite a few rotten trees or branches across the trail. I moved a few trees/branches. I wasn't able to completely move the one on the downhill after crossing Silver Hill Rd (heading towards Silver Lake).

The only snowmobile tracks I think I saw were just before and half way up Boy Scout hill.

One guy went out in front of me. I think he did Crooked. One set of ski tracks from the other direction. I would guess people have special beater skis for days like today on the Poto.

Get out and smooth it out, so to speak :-)
Bento

12-27-10 conditions... slow

Postby PotoKing » December 27th, 2010, 5:02 pm

The 13 mile loop is rideable, but slow. Several hills will require walking. Proably better running and hiking than biking or skiing... but all are possible.
I found the dirt roads to be a little more enjoyable to ride.
enjoy.
PotoKing

Postby barrybs » December 27th, 2010, 6:03 pm

Does anyone know if the tree is still across the trail in the Hills of *beep* ? I think it was after the creek crossing and before the Waterloo split.
Any others ?

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby G.Cook » December 27th, 2010, 6:55 pm

I'm going out Tue. pm . I will give you an update .
Hand saw or chainsaw ?
G.Cook

Postby barrybs » December 27th, 2010, 7:16 pm

The one that I recall was chainsaw only.

I walked/ cleared the Gosling loop yesterday from the first Patterson Lk rd. crossing, along the UM fence and around to the second Doyle rd. crossing.
We skied the rest of Gosling Thursday night and I don't recall anything else down, so I think all of Gosling/ Shortcut should be good to go.

Barry
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby G.Cook » December 28th, 2010, 5:23 pm

Trail is clear from Hankerd to Waterloo trail split .
I had a little chuckle when I noticed my preliminary reroute flagging had been "removed" by some poor deluded moron . :roll: Dude doesn't understand that I walk those reroutes a half dozen times or more and they are firmly fixed in my minds eye as to where that new trail tread is going to be laid down . With some trail day tweakage if necessary . At present that would be about six to seven reroutes all cued up in my mind and ready to get to digging . :wink:
G.Cook

Postby Bento » December 29th, 2010, 5:06 pm

Greg is right, he is out there all the time. I saw (vision 50% due to lack of O2) him on the climb out of Dead Lake. Thanks for all you doing out there Mr. Cook. He mentioned that it will be muddy by Friday, I agreed. It was a few good weeks though. The trail was relatively fast today, yet traction was decent on the two-foot wide packed down track. Still no studs needed. Looks like the four wheeler ferret is "riding" the trail from Blind Lake to Hiland Lake. His handiwork made for a few exciting moments just before the Yurt. Lots of burnouts and donuts otherwise :-/

?rap, time to get reacquainted with the trainer in the basement...
Bento

Postby G.Cook » December 30th, 2010, 10:42 am

On that particular climb we saw you climbing we were looking at a short cut that the hikers were making going down that hill . There is certainaly enough dead fall in that area to block it off and make it look less appealing to go that route .
It's on the to do list . Maybe an hours worth of work or less depending on the manpower . Volunteers anyone ?
G.Cook

Postby Geff » December 30th, 2010, 12:44 pm

G.Cook wrote:On that particular climb we saw you climbing we were looking at a short cut that the hikers were making going down that hill . There is certainaly enough dead fall in that area to block it off and make it look less appealing to go that route .
It's on the to do list . Maybe an hours worth of work or less depending on the manpower . Volunteers anyone ?

Post it up what day and time and also PM me so that I can see if I can make it out there to help. Thanks!
Geff

Postby G.Cook » December 30th, 2010, 5:06 pm

How about this Sat. or Sun. after 12pm ? Meet out at the Pickeral Lk. entrance at that little road side put off ?
G.Cook

Postby Geff » December 30th, 2010, 6:34 pm

G.Cook wrote:How about this Sat. or Sun. after 12pm ? Meet out at the Pickeral Lk. entrance at that little road side put off ?

Am out of town. What about next one?
Geff

Postby G.Cook » December 30th, 2010, 7:33 pm

How about next Sat or Sun same time frame ? Anybody else ?
G.Cook

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions