Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby brick1554 » October 26th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Trail was in good shape tonight despite the winds, however there was a couple trees over the trail. One around 6 miles and another just before the end. There was a third one between those two, but I didn't mark the mile. You could ride over that tree though.
-------------------------------------------
Crazy Engineer Person
brick1554

Postby adroit rider » October 26th, 2010, 10:36 pm

brick1554 wrote:Trail was in good shape tonight despite the winds, however there was a couple trees over the trail. One around 6 miles and another just before the end. There was a third one between those two, but I didn't mark the mile. You could ride over that tree though.

Let's assume you are riding at your limit, seeing double and spinning your legs like a crazy man. Would the down trees be visible from a safe distance?
adroit rider

Postby brick1554 » October 27th, 2010, 5:09 am

Probably not the first downed tree, it snuck up on my good and I about crashed into it.
-------------------------------------------
Crazy Engineer Person
brick1554

Postby barrybs » October 27th, 2010, 6:07 pm

brick1554 wrote:Trail was in good shape tonight despite the winds, however there was a couple trees over the trail. One around 6 miles and another just before the end. There was a third one between those two, but I didn't mark the mile. You could ride over that tree though.

Cleared the one near the end.
A buddy who had just ridden said there were no trees down from Silver Lk. trailhead to Blind Lk. campground.
There is a lot of small stuff littering the trail.
Not sure about the rest.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby G.Cook » October 27th, 2010, 7:24 pm

I will be out in the am . I'll post up when I get back . Thanks barrybs .
G.
G.Cook

Postby twisneski » October 28th, 2010, 5:23 am

Was out on both Poto and Crooked Lake around 3pm yesterday. Cleared multiple small trees + a ton of debris, by hand. The only chainsaw work I saw was (in order):

- two trees (first one looked more like a brush pile) just before the 'caution steep downhill' section. Both were within a couple hundred feet of each other.
- one tree across the newer boardwalk adjacent to Doyle(?) Rd.
- one tree somewhere after the boardwalk, but before you hit the spur off Glenbrook Rd (memory is a little sketchy on this one :oops: , but I swear it was somewhere in this section).
- one tree at the very end of the trail, just before you make the 90deg right to head back up to the campground road (if you go straight, you pop out in the upper lot) (sounds like this one was cleared).

Wind was crazy, for sure.
twisneski

Postby G.Cook » October 28th, 2010, 1:29 pm

Thanks for the location report twisneski . As of this post the Poto is clear from the start to Gosling to the short cut .
G.Cook

Postby Bento » November 14th, 2010, 3:50 pm

Got a full Poto loop in just before firearm deer season. The trail was just slightly moist so traction was good. The trail is clear of deadfall.

Edit: I just checked with my fact checker and they OK'ed the following edit:
At the start, just past Silver Hill Rd, a pine tree is across the trail. Being face high it was a small strain to get under while mounted. It was on a flat to uphill section so you should see it coming.
Bento

Postby Skeg » November 18th, 2010, 10:24 am

I hear the weather is going to be ok this weekend which begs the question... Is Poto safe during deer season? Do you ride it?

I know parts of Pinkney rec area is open to hunting but I have no idea how close it is to the trail.
Skeg

Postby Leroi Brown » November 18th, 2010, 10:40 am

Pinckney Rec. is a very popular hunting destination, especially during deer firearm season. I always avoid this trail during this time, both for safety and as a courtesy to hunters. While we're allowed to ride still, it's just not worth the risk in my opinion!! Plus, giving the hunters the woods for two weeks is a small sacrifice!
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby G.Cook » November 18th, 2010, 10:57 am

Once you leave the trail head any area the trail transects is open to hunting .
You may run into hunters set up on the trail . Even siteing thier weapons down the trail . Almost ran a couple over going down hill .
If you go , wear orange and try and ride midday .
Personally , I agree with Leroi's opinion about the gun deer season . I bought a cx bike just for that reason and they are a blast for anytime of the year . :D
G.Cook

Postby Paul Brown » November 18th, 2010, 10:58 am

Here ya go, everything you ever wanted to know about riding during rifle season, http://mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101175&hilit=get+shot

let's keep this thread to its intended use.
Paul Brown

Postby G.Cook » November 18th, 2010, 11:41 am

let's keep this thread to its intended use.

Since the inquiry was specific to the Poto and Pinckney Rec. Area it was germane to this thread and deserved a succinct reply to those questions . If it wasn't , yeah direct him to the annual hunting thread .
G.Cook

Postby Bento » November 28th, 2010, 4:19 pm

Full loop today before noon. Log across trail in the hills of h?LL. It is on the approach to the smaller of two hills (last of the "difficult" climbs with roots at top). Only a slight momentum issue, easy to get over. The newly rerouted climb has southern exposure so it was a tad mucky. The rest of the trail was firm with good traction.

The Poto is in good shape for the upcoming Abominable Snowman Ride.
Bento

Postby tjjp8285 » November 29th, 2010, 12:20 am

When is the Abomidable snowman ride this year? Any more details would be great
tjjp8285

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions