Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby teach58 » June 29th, 2013, 10:01 pm

Looks like a drier week coming up, especially starting mid week. Fingers crossed.
teach58

Postby Scott_Lobbestael » June 29th, 2013, 10:18 pm

Looks pretty rough in the short term. Thank you guys for all the great trimming, cutting and maintenance this year. It really makes riding much more enjoyable. What do you use to cut that really long, thick grass with? I believe that would overwhelm a gas powered weed eater.
Scott_Lobbestael

Postby tspad » July 2nd, 2013, 5:58 am

Trees down right after the bridge that crosses Hi-Land Lake.
The first is right after the bridge and the second is about a half mile past that.
Both will require a chainsaw.
Otherwise trail is in great shape.
tspad

Postby teach58 » July 2nd, 2013, 10:55 am

Seriously!? I'd have thought it a quagmire. If it is good I will be there tomorrow am.
Thanks for the encouragement.
teach58

Postby ChrisInYpsi » July 2nd, 2013, 4:04 pm

Poto was in good shape this afternoon other than the trees previously mentioned. No issues with water.

Had a chat with Greg while he was out trimming after the shortcut. Thanks to him and everyone else that maintains the Poto.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby barrybs » July 2nd, 2013, 4:26 pm

tspad wrote:Trees down right after the bridge that crosses Hi-Land Lake.
The first is right after the bridge and the second is about a half mile past that.
Both will require a chainsaw.
Otherwise trail is in great shape.

I'll clear these this evening......Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby G.Cook » July 2nd, 2013, 5:04 pm

Barry I cut the first one. The second one is going to need a big saw . It's a 3 footer at least. Told the DNR around one. But it is still there. It's before the bridge where I rerouted. Best access is off Glennbrooke across from Half Moon parking .
G.Cook

Postby teach58 » July 2nd, 2013, 5:36 pm

You guys are awesome.
teach58

Postby barrybs » July 2nd, 2013, 5:46 pm

G.Cook wrote:Barry I cut the first one. The second one is going to need a big saw . It's a 3 footer at least. Told the DNR around one. But it is still there. It's before the bridge where I rerouted. Best access is off Glennbrooke across from Half Moon parking .

Thanks for the heads-up....I'll let the DNR get that one. A 14" bar x 2 is still a long ways from 3 feet. :)
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby teach58 » July 3rd, 2013, 5:26 pm

Trail was pretty spectacular this am. I went all the way around & saw I runner & 3 hikers. Solitude. Yes, that tree is a big one, and man is there a lot of sand! It is hard to comprehend the amount of time you folks spend maintaining this trail. The trimming alone seems monumental. All that work sure makes for a nice ride - thank you!
teach58

Postby Dirtdevil » July 3rd, 2013, 6:12 pm

I assume the tree you're talking about is the one at mile 14.5? I don't recall it being by a bridge or close to a road, but the humidity & heat could have altered my brain cells. 8)

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby G.Cook » July 4th, 2013, 5:19 am

It's down from the Hi Land Lk. bridges. There is a close access trail if you park along Glennbrooke Rd. which cuts the distance to the dead fall in half. Which is nice to know if your carrying a saw big enough to cut that thing up.
I suspect with the holiday that the tree blocking the trail is a low priority to the DNR. Especially since it does not present a danger to trail users . Unless of course your completely oblivious to your surroundings which, sad to say, is not an unusual circumstance for some folks these days while even riding a mountain bike. :roll:
G.Cook

Postby Dirtdevil » July 4th, 2013, 8:31 am

That tree is very obvious. If someone doesn't see it in advance, they are staring at the dirt directly in front of their tire!
Dirtdevil

Postby teach58 » July 4th, 2013, 8:36 am

To run into that tree you would have to be the Meg Ryan character from "City of Angels".:)
teach58

Postby Czachorski » July 4th, 2013, 1:03 pm

Rode the full trail this morning - it is in great shape, just a little sandy in the usual places. Almost no mud at all. I was surprised after all this rain.

I love the new reroutes on the Gosling Lake loop. The two new wood bridges and reroute avoid a very sloppy eroded spot, and the reroute around that mud pit right before the gravel road is great - man that was a nasty mud pit each spring. Thanks to those who did all this hard work!

The down tree being discussed is obvious, but it is in a bad spot, if you are smoking the trail. I had to brake hard after seeing it, even after reading about it here this morning. After the shortcut, after you cross the 2 wood bridged, you wind for a little bit, and then there is a nice downhill runout where you can get some nice speed. The tree is on a downhill section on that run-out, and you can't see it until you crest the hill and have started to crank for the downhill. It was an exercise in rapid acceleration followed by hard braking. If you are cranking through that section, watch out, and be ready to brake hard.
Czachorski

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments