Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby barrybs » September 25th, 2010, 12:16 pm

I don't worry about hunters except during the two weeks of firearms deer, then I don't feel it is worth the additional risk. I also like to give them their space, it's the only two weeks they have. I do my annual tour of the non-hunting trails then.
Never had a problem with a hunter, just give'm a nod and ride on by. Wearing some blaze orange is not a bad idea.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby Geff » September 25th, 2010, 12:21 pm

twoINtheSky wrote:So what is the deal with the tail given hunting season is gearing up? Do people just avoid state parks all together or just ride at dusk? Also deer usually bed down between 11ish-3 (most hunters know that) so that would be a good time to go unless people do a lot of deer drives in the area, which are usually in the afternoon and that would be the worst time to go as hunters are moving around more and are a bit more trigger happy :shock: .

Here's what was sent out last week via the Poto Chapter's yahoo group email list

Sept 15 marks the beginning of hunting season. Here is what mountain bikers should know:
Where: All DNR parks (Pinckney, Brighton, Island Lake, Highland, Pontiac) are open to hunting, with the exception of Maybury. Metroparks and local parks are not open to hunting.
When is the critical time: NOv 15- NOv 30 is deer firearm season: This is the time to avoid the trails completely. Outside of that, Sept-March is small game season, Archery, etc. This carries much less risk than deer firearm season.
General Advice: 1) Try to wear orange. 2) Respect the hunters. They have been using the parks much longer than mountain bikers have been around. If there are hunter-biker conflicts, the resolution is much more likely to be limitations on biking than on hunting! 3) Ride after sunset (with lights of course!)4) Ride in parks where hunting is banned: Maybury, Non-DNR parks like Olsen, Rolling Hills, Novi Lakeshore, Hewen's Creek, Morton-Taylor,etc. (Trails link for Poto site: http://poto.mmba.org/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=54)
Happy riding!

CHAPTER TRAILS
poto.mmba.org
Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine and content management system
Geff

Postby cmkovick » September 27th, 2010, 12:51 pm

Is trail work still planned for Saturday? If so, what time and meeting location?
Chuck Kovick
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee
Get on the list to help @ volunteer@waterlootrail.org
https://www.facebook.com/dtetrail/

"Build It, Before You Ride It"
cmkovick

Postby Bento » September 29th, 2010, 6:12 am

This is not an answer to the question regarding the trail day above.

I rode a full loop Monday. No trees were down across the trail. The traction, was the best it has been in a long time. The Woodstock races have smoothed and "defined" the Gosling Loop. They did a good job of picking up race trash. Yes, a few hunters hunting near the trail. One had his back to me sitting on a log which intrudes into the trail just before the first power line crossing near Dexter Townhall Rd. That made for an interesting pass, as I normally go by hunters with only a smile/nod. The first major climb after Hankerd Rd, now routes to the left and wraps around the hill with a bench cut climb. For a combination of reasons, lately I have been not clearing that old climb. Should be ready to go for the PSSWC http://www.velotracts.com/PSSWC10/2010_Poto_SSWC_Flier_Web.jpg.
Bento

Postby Thinair » October 2nd, 2010, 7:23 pm

I rode the full 18 today despite the threat of rain. Tried out my new 29er and the conditions could not have been better despite the 5 minutes of rain I did get. Can't wait for the batman ride this Friday night!

Is that first hills of *beep* cop out reroute going to be the only way up the hill? Would love it if the original hill stayed open!
Brett (AKA The California Guy)
Thinair

Postby froggyrider » October 3rd, 2010, 7:43 am

Sorry some of who said we were going didn't make it to the trail day yesterday- I understand it was at 2 pm, but we needed to be in Monroe at 4 pm. Maybe next time!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby Bento » October 3rd, 2010, 3:36 pm

Thinair wrote:Can't wait for the batman ride this Friday night!

Thinair, the date has changed for the Batman Ride to Oct 15th. I am not joking.

http://www.mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=100331
Bento

Postby someoldguy » October 3rd, 2010, 5:38 pm

Thanks for turning the "second hill of *beep*" into a long version of ilra and closing off the original route. I understand the concept of "sustainable" trails but does this mean that everything needs to have all the fun/skill taken out?
someoldguy

Postby djansen00 » October 4th, 2010, 6:49 am

Is there another place I should have been looking/monitoring for info about the trail day? I kept watching here but never saw an update so assumed it didn't happen...but apparently it did.
djansen00

Postby BigfootDenny » October 4th, 2010, 7:30 am

djansen00 wrote:Is there another place I should have been looking/monitoring for info about the trail day? I kept watching here but never saw an update so assumed it didn't happen...but apparently it did.

Ditto here, Dave.... I was also planning on helping out at the trail day, and looked for updates or announcements on all the boards (Advocacy,General,Trail Conditions) , but found none.
BigfootDenny

Postby Hermannator » October 5th, 2010, 8:11 pm

Ditto here as well. I would have loved to help. It would have been a cruddy day to ride anyway. BTW Island lake's trail day is this Saturday.
Hermannator

Postby bill_m » October 6th, 2010, 6:49 pm

Sorry for not communicating ab out the trail day as well as we usually would. We had a yoga service group that stepped forward to do the project and any more folks would have been overkill.

But fear not, we have lots of additional projects and many more trail days to come.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby PotoKing » October 7th, 2010, 7:28 am

Nice job with the lastest trail reroute, the cut flows really well and fits the character of the Poto. It will ski well in both directions too... thanks for no sharp corners.
This type of reroute is badly needed on the root drops on Crooked Lake.
PotoKing

Postby jajones » October 7th, 2010, 11:43 am

Crooked Lake reroutes coming up very soon!
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
Waterloo Executive Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Chapter of the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA)

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby Geff » October 7th, 2010, 11:49 am

jajones wrote:Crooked Lake reroutes coming up very soon!

Keep me posted on when I can help. Not doing very much riding or running these days so I have a bit of time on my hands depending on the date.
Geff

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions