Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby jajones » June 7th, 2013, 8:11 pm

I have to say, the sandier-than-normal conditions before the sand pit make for some great conditions for fat biking. :P
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Waterloo (MTB Trail System) Working Group, Acting Chair

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby c0nsumer » June 7th, 2013, 10:17 pm

I'm looking forward to taking my fatbike out to Poto in a couple weeks.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby plunderspunk » June 8th, 2013, 7:04 pm

Poto was great today, first time heading out there this summer, and near perfect conditions...couldn't make it up the Poto killer, but got further on it than ever before...about 2/3rds. lots of people hiking and taking hteir dogs for walks, and I have to give kudo's to them as they were all very polite and courteous. :)
Special thanks to the guy in the p-lot who helped me with my chain and saved me much time!
A.K.A. Geardaddy
plunderspunk

Postby Dirtdevil » June 11th, 2013, 8:34 pm

Shortcut loop was in pretty good shape tonight. Smaller sized tree down at about 1 mile in. Not completely blocking the trail so no emergency, but should eventually be cleared.

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby barry1me » June 12th, 2013, 1:39 pm

anyone ride yesterday or today? If so how are conditions?
barry1me

Postby MLKuhl » June 13th, 2013, 5:18 pm

Looking for update on conditions, did you guys get alot of rain last night? Planning to ride early tomorrow (friday) if conditions are good. Thanks

Matt
MLKuhl

Postby G.Cook » June 13th, 2013, 6:12 pm

Yep, a lot of rain. And some more today.
G.Cook

Postby brokenbones » June 16th, 2013, 8:41 pm

Did the long loop and the short loop today. Tree down on the trail segment leading to the yurt just after marker 11 - probably will need a chainsaw. No other obstructions. Many greasy spots pretty much everywhere.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby Dirtdevil » June 18th, 2013, 5:43 am

brokenbones wrote:Did the long loop and the short loop today. Tree down on the trail segment leading to the yurt just after marker 11 - probably will need a chainsaw. No other obstructions. Many greasy spots pretty much everywhere.

Rode last night. Trail was in excellent condition. The tree noted above WILL require a chainsaw. It's located immediately after the shortcut sign-taking the shortcut route.

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby jajones » June 18th, 2013, 1:04 pm

Working on getting that tree in shortcut removed today.
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Waterloo (MTB Trail System) Working Group, Acting Chair

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby Coyote » June 18th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Had a very enjoyable ride on Father's Day. Really appreciate the hard work that went into the two new bridges!

After crossing Patterson Lake road heading S there appeared to have been a motorcycle on the trail just before me. The tracks ended abruptly at the first sharp right-hander, where said motorcyclist took a trip into the bushes and trees. I hope nobody got hurt (at least not seriously), but it was hard not to smile a little. :smile:
Coyote

Postby teach58 » June 24th, 2013, 2:20 pm

Trail was in great shape the whole way around this past Saturday morning. A few face slappers but not much else. Thanks for all of the work - you know who you are. I have a request. I live in Toledo, Ohio and like to come up as often as possible. In the absence of actual trail condition reports could those in the know report rainfall conditions? Like, "it rained a lot here last evening and the trail may not be so good for a few days". That kind of thing. The reason is that we are just far enough from the trail that our weather conditions are not always the same. For instance, it rained a TON here on Saturday evening and some more on Sunday. Radar made it look like the trail area missed it. But without any real knowledge it is hard to plan a trip up.
Just an idea, if anyone is so inclined.
Thanks!
teach58

Postby barrybs » June 24th, 2013, 2:44 pm

Just post up the day/night before you are planning to ride and you will probably get a pretty fast response. I'm set up to get an auto email when someone posts to this section and live a few miles away with rain-gauge. There are several others that do the same...Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby teach58 » June 24th, 2013, 3:10 pm

Barry, thanks. That will definitely work. Right now I plan to ride early Wednesday morning.
Thanks in advance.,
Rich
teach58

Postby mikesathome2 » June 25th, 2013, 7:27 am

It was nice out there last night (6-24-13) did the Murray Lake loop a few times and there is a large'ish tree down just past the Pickreal lake sandy area. It's easily visible so it should not surprise anyone. Will need chain saw to remove it. It was nice to get caught in a few light showers during the ride, I think it helped keep the flies away.
Also got out on silver lake with the SUP, water is very refreshing.
mikesathome2

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments