Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby tadraper » September 3rd, 2010, 6:13 pm

Rode the trail today it is in great shape. The rain really helped it out.
2017 Farley EX 8
2016 Crux Expert Evo
2016 C-Dale 29er Tandem
2013 Origin8 Paladin with my son
2010 Gary Fisher Triton SS
tadraper

Postby G.Cook » September 4th, 2010, 11:39 am

Had a blast doing that thing I really enjoy doing . :icon_batman:
That rain helped firm up the sandy spots , at least for a while .
G.Cook

Postby risnewski » September 5th, 2010, 1:22 pm

No reason not to do Poto. The trail is beginning its annual healing process and is quite fun. No trees down on the long loop. Some new lines are beginning to form that are kinda interesting.

Bad news: someone took out part of the upper root at the second switchback climb (the one after Serious Hill).
risnewski

Postby DownRiverRat » September 5th, 2010, 3:04 pm

Rode Poto today, I feel like I stole something... the trail was awesome, weather was great and my bike had no mechanicals(1st time in a while:). Awesome day!! Thanks to all that make this trail great!

Bryan
I say let the haters hate and the riders...ride. RIDE ON!!!!
DownRiverRat

Postby RobM » September 7th, 2010, 10:59 pm

Rode part of Poto tonight (the 8 mile loop of part of Poto + Crooked Lake trail). Trail is very dry. As of 10:30 PM, there was one tree over the trail just after the first short boardwalk bridge (the one that is just before a decent sandy uphill maybe about 1 mile before Pickerel Lake). With the winds still blowing out this way, may be more trees or branches down by morning.
RobM

Postby MLKuhl » September 15th, 2010, 1:13 pm

Just rode poto this morning, trail is in great shape other then the sand which is pretty deep in areas. Didnt waste too much energy trying to pedal through it, just pushed it. FYI, apparently its hunting season because there were quite a few out there this morning so heads up.
MLKuhl

Postby BigfootDenny » September 15th, 2010, 7:38 pm

MLKuhl wrote:FYI, apparently its hunting season because there were quite a few out there this morning so heads up.

...I think u mean keep your heads down...right? :)
BigfootDenny

Postby cmkovick » September 15th, 2010, 8:02 pm

I was able to get a quick ride in today to test my SS gearing for the TTC and rode the Crooked Lake trail with the left kick out (8 miler) and the trail is looking good. As stated above there are a few loose spots, but much better than a few weeks ago.
I came across 4 groups of hunters and all we very courteous today either standing off the trail or just saying hello. It was a nice change not to encounter any *beep* holes.

Chuck
Chuck Kovick
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee
Get on the list to help @ volunteer@waterlootrail.org
https://www.facebook.com/dtetrail/

"Build It, Before You Ride It"
cmkovick

Postby Geff » September 15th, 2010, 8:18 pm

cmkovick wrote:I was able to get a quick ride in today to test my SS gearing for the TTC and rode the Crooked Lake trail with the left kick out (8 miler) and the trail is looking good. As stated above there are a few loose spots, but much better than a few weeks ago.
I came across 4 groups of hunters and all we very courteous today either standing off the trail or just saying hello. It was a nice change not to encounter any *beep* holes.

Chuck

Sweet! That's one of the things about hunters over horse people.
Geff

potowatamus

Postby ahendepe » September 20th, 2010, 7:09 am

i like to ride my bike, I am oldish, what a blessing this trail is. I rode with the triple trail challenge on saturday and in spite (or because) of the rain this trail is sweet. We did a leg of the poto and then a leg of Waterloo. I have lived in Michigan my whole life and have become generally disgusted with the area until I started mountain biking. The trails here are bliss and I am thankfull to the people that maintain them. They make Michigan worth living in.

Poto rocks, and i will say it a million times
ahendepe

Postby Bento » September 24th, 2010, 5:36 pm

Started my ride around four in the afternoon. Wind wasn't a factor. A little extra dead fall, nothing major. There is a tree down just after the short cut rejoins the trail. I had to dismount and carry over. Traction was excellent, no mud.

Unfortunately, I ran into the weekend endurance running festival - night race. Didn't see a soul until the short cut bench and then it was a hundred or so runners spread out until the short cut rejoins the main trail. Awesomeness.

I must of missed some posts elsewhere on this forum. There are no signs at Silver lake as of 6:30pm. If it is the all weekend affair that I had the "good fortune" of stumbling upon last year, I would ride somewhere else this weekend, instead of at the Poto.
Bento

Postby Geff » September 24th, 2010, 5:54 pm

Bento wrote:Started my ride around four in the afternoon. Wind wasn't a factor. A little extra dead fall, nothing major. There is a tree down just after the short cut rejoins the trail. I had to dismount and carry over. Traction was excellent, no mud.

Unfortunately, I ran into the weekend endurance running festival - night race. Didn't see a soul until the short cut bench and then it was a hundred or so runners spread out until the short cut rejoins the main trail. Awesomeness.

I must of missed some posts elsewhere on this forum. There are no signs at Silver lake as of 6:30pm. If it is the all weekend affair that I had the "good fortune" of stumbling upon last year, I would ride somewhere else this weekend, instead of at the Poto.

Posted it up as a new thread earlier this afternoon as a reminder. Also, a Poto Yahoo Groups email was sent out yesterday. Another place to check in on the MMBA Facebook page. And lastly, there is a Poto Trail Runners Faceplant page where some of us post up to alert each other the goings ons of the Poto.
Geff

Postby Bento » September 24th, 2010, 6:42 pm

Thanks for your vigilance Geff!

Sounds like police tape or a big trail runner race sign at the Silver Lake booth was the only thing that was going to keep me from "Friday Night Mass".

I have to figure out my Yahoo Group settings. I have never received an e-mail from the group. Facebook, on so many levels, that is out of my reach.

Ok back to Poto Trail Conditions...
Bento

Postby Geff » September 24th, 2010, 7:59 pm

Right on! and No worries.
Geff

Postby twoINtheSky » September 25th, 2010, 11:21 am

So what is the deal with the tail given hunting season is gearing up? Do people just avoid state parks all together or just ride at dusk? Also deer usually bed down between 11ish-3 (most hunters know that) so that would be a good time to go unless people do a lot of deer drives in the area, which are usually in the afternoon and that would be the worst time to go as hunters are moving around more and are a bit more trigger happy :shock: .
twoINtheSky

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions