Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby TenSpeed » August 20th, 2010, 9:51 pm

barrybs wrote:
heavy fluid wrote:
tagheuer02 wrote:I haven't ridden this in a very long time, only rode once....I consider myself to be an intermediate trail rider....I typically ride lakeshore (about 10 miles) and am pretty comfortable there.

Are there any group rides at Poto, or can any of you recommend certain loops, etc? I might want to do 1/2 to start, and see how I do.

Or, are any of you experts willing to ride slow and easy one day so you can show the newbies around?

If you ride and take the shortcut, you will end up at Sandhill Road, which is the road that you come in on. Take a left when you come to the road, and you will end up in the parking lot where you started. It's just about 11.5 miles if you do that. I don't consider that to be a normal 11.5 miles though. It's pretty rough.

Actually the road is called Silverhill road after the nearby lake, although with all the sand this year maybe we should change it. :)

If you ride the Poto and take the short cut after the sandpit you get about 14.5 miles. To get 11.5 you would also have to take the right turn about a mile in that takes you past the stone chimney.

Barry

Thanks for the correction. I got a little confused. That is the route that we rode. I remember the stone chimney.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 4020/6000
TenSpeed

Postby jajones » August 21st, 2010, 7:55 pm

BigfootDenny wrote:Had the chance to do a couple full loops at Poto this afternoon / evening ... and the trail is in "good" shape. No obstructions, no water problems. That being said, the erosion at Poto is disappointing to me. I understand that the legacy trails may need more conservative "management" to keep their character, but Poto, in my humble opinion, is losing just a bit of it's luster. I possess ZERO personal knowledge of proper trail building and maintenance methods... but know that there are many qualified people in the area who might offer suggestions to keep the trail both "challenging" for seasoned riders, but also "inviting" to newer members of our sport.
(FWIW -- I realize the weather this season has been very hard on our local trails, since I ride regularly in the surrounding Brighton area systems...)

True, the rains have been hard on the Poto this year, but changes are long overdue and need to start happening at an accelerated pace. Even at an accelerated pace, it will be a journey. We'll be doing more reroutes this fall. October 2nd will be one key work day. Mark it on your calendar. We'll need the help.
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
Waterloo Executive Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Chapter of the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA)

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby Bento » August 22nd, 2010, 5:47 pm

Sunday Brunch - tree crashed through the fence at the Edwin S. George Reserve. I couldn't tell if any dinosaurs escaped. The tree is hanging above the trail with plenty of head clearance, for now. Hard to blame the two guys going the wrong way on the Gosling section. I checked for wrong way signs at a few entry points and no signage. Of course, they just kept going after I mentioned it to them. Then the Poto smacked me down just after the short cut re-entry. Flat and twisty. No good excuse. I suppose the front wheel shouldn't leave the trail, even for a second.
Bento

Postby froggyrider » August 22nd, 2010, 8:07 pm

I haven't been to Poto since all the work was done this year, and the bridge was great! Plus, it was nice to be able to make it up the hill at the start with the reroute. I'll mark 10/2 on my calendar if we can help. We need to be in Monroe later that day, but we'll try to swing it in the morning!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby BigfootDenny » August 22nd, 2010, 8:44 pm

jajones wrote:
BigfootDenny wrote:Had the chance to do a couple full loops at Poto this afternoon / evening ... and the trail is in "good" shape. No obstructions, no water problems. That being said, the erosion at Poto is disappointing to me. I understand that the legacy trails may need more conservative "management" to keep their character, but Poto, in my humble opinion, is losing just a bit of it's luster. I possess ZERO personal knowledge of proper trail building and maintenance methods... but know that there are many qualified people in the area who might offer suggestions to keep the trail both "challenging" for seasoned riders, but also "inviting" to newer members of our sport.
(FWIW -- I realize the weather this season has been very hard on our local trails, since I ride regularly in the surrounding Brighton area systems...)

True, the rains have been hard on the Poto this year, but changes are long overdue and need to start happening at an accelerated pace. Even at an accelerated pace, it will be a journey. We'll be doing more reroutes this fall. October 2nd will be one key work day. Mark it on your calendar. We'll need the help.

Jason -- I'm putting Oct.2 on my calendar and will plan to help out at the trail day . Maybe I can learn a bit of useful info from the seasoned trail maintenance guys who devote so much of their time to keeping the Poto safe and enjoyable...

-Denis
BigfootDenny

Postby Geff » August 22nd, 2010, 8:52 pm

BigfootDenny wrote:
jajones wrote:

Jason -- I'm putting Oct.2 on my calendar and will plan to help out at the trail day . Maybe I can learn a bit of useful info from the seasoned trail maintenance guys who devote so much of their time to keeping the Poto safe and enjoyable...

-Denis

I got it noted too.
Geff

Postby djansen00 » August 23rd, 2010, 8:12 am

Oct 2. I'll be there.
djansen00

Postby Jeffreykdc » August 25th, 2010, 2:35 pm

the tree that was previously hanging above the trail at the end of the fence line by the gorge has been cut down and left across the trail. It is a challenge to get around/over/under. I chose over. It would be quick work with a chainsaw. Otherwise, great new bridge and a beautiful day at the poto.
If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?
Jeffreykdc

Postby barrybs » August 25th, 2010, 5:24 pm

I guess next time I won't bother telling UM about trees on their fence. It would have been nice of them to not leave it laying on the trail.....No good deed goes unpunished.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby barrybs » August 25th, 2010, 11:31 pm

Jeffreykdc wrote:the tree that was previously hanging above the trail at the end of the fence line by the gorge has been cut down and left across the trail. It is a challenge to get around/over/under. I chose over. It would be quick work with a chainsaw. Otherwise, great new bridge and a beautiful day at the poto.

Cleared
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby daffunda » August 28th, 2010, 8:14 pm

badly eroded to a point where you climb and descend on a gravely loose stuff, more exposed roots/ruts, or sand pit, or groove.
very difficult to carry speed....

Most likely major storms this year caused it, but what can you do.
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
daffunda

Postby G.Cook » August 28th, 2010, 11:49 pm

:lol: :wink:
G.Cook

Postby BigfootDenny » August 29th, 2010, 8:55 am

daffunda wrote:
Most likely major storms this year caused it, but what can you do.

I think this guy knows what to do:

G.Cook wrote::lol: :wink:
BigfootDenny

Postby daffunda » August 29th, 2010, 12:57 pm

G.Cook wrote::lol: :wink:

Trail day.
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
daffunda

Postby jrshome » August 29th, 2010, 1:30 pm

rode the trail this morning, first time in at least a month. I can't believe the length of that sand pit heading into the hill before the shortcut. I have been coming out here for along time and this is the longest I have ever seen it. Glad to have the long wheel base of the 29er today, really helped carry through the sand
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together..."
-- Carl Zwanzig
jrshome

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions