Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby barry1me » May 29th, 2013, 10:14 am

any updates on the trail conditions?
barry1me

Postby reidabel » May 31st, 2013, 4:58 pm

Apparently not! I'd like to know, too, a couple of us are planning to ride there tomorrow morning for the first time, and have no idea how well it'll shed the rain that it has been getting today.

Also, any advice on where to park and what to do the first time would be appreciated!

Thanks ...
reidabel

Postby rvd » May 31st, 2013, 6:34 pm

You should park here, then start in SW direction past the outhouse up the hill. Just keep riding until you return to the parking lot, or make a printout of this (not too clear) map. Anyway, the poto is awesome! No features, but some great riding.
rvd

Postby MLKuhl » May 31st, 2013, 6:40 pm

Also wondering conditions, planning to ride early tomorrow morning if storms hold off. They have been calling for storms on and off last few days here in Jackson and haven't gotten much more then a few sprinkles so hoping that continues..Wouldnt hurt to grab a map if its your first time there, in can be a little confusing at first.
MLKuhl

Postby c0nsumer » May 31st, 2013, 6:46 pm

rvd wrote:You should park here, then start in SW direction past the outhouse up the hill. Just keep riding until you return to the parking lot, or make a printout of this (not too clear) map. Anyway, the poto is awesome! No features, but some great riding.

The one thing to note is, if you don't take the shortcut, at one point you'll just end up at a circular turnaround at the end of a gravel road. Keep heading down the road, and where it intersects with another road the trail will be directly in front of you. This was non-obvious and confusing to me my first couple times at Poto.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby rvd » May 31st, 2013, 7:41 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
rvd wrote:You should park here, then start in SW direction past the outhouse up the hill. Just keep riding until you return to the parking lot, or make a printout of this (not too clear) map. Anyway, the poto is awesome! No features, but some great riding.

The one thing to note is, if you don't take the shortcut, at one point you'll just end up at a circular turnaround at the end of a gravel road. Keep heading down the road, and where it intersects with another road the trail will be directly in front of you. This was non-obvious and confusing to me my first couple times at Poto.

The shortcut is when you stay on Silver Lake trail and don't turn left to stay on the thicker line. The confusing part is where the trail hits Dexter Townhall Rd. Just turn/stay right, and you'll see the trail pop up on your right after about 30 or so feet on asphalt.
rvd

Postby jajones » May 31st, 2013, 7:44 pm

Trail is pretty greasy right now. We haven't gotten consistent rain, but have gotten some gully-washers off-and-on the past few days.

Trail is getting thicker with veg. Mosquito hatch is full on as well. Humidity is stifling.

I'm guessing Saturday isn't going to be so great a ride at Poto. Sunday could be better if the sun can come out for a bit and the rain stops consistently for about 6 hours.

That's my take!
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Waterloo (MTB Trail System) Working Group, Acting Chair

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby ChrisInYpsi » May 31st, 2013, 8:05 pm

rvd wrote:make a printout of this (not too clear) map

A more better map courtesy of the DNR: http://www.michigandnr.com/Publications ... trails.pdf
ChrisInYpsi

Postby reidabel » June 2nd, 2013, 7:03 am

Thanks for the directions, maps, and advice. We decided to postpone until today. Still trying to arrange things for the afternoon ...

Anybody ride out there yesterday? How was it?
reidabel

Postby countryboy_mike » June 2nd, 2013, 11:19 am

I'll be there at 2:00 if you want a guide. I am not super fast, but get er done in about an 1 hr 50 minutes or so ( 18 mile loop ). I drive a 2013 Nissan Rogue platnium color. I park at the Silver Lake lot.

Mike ><>
There will be more rejoicing in heaven for one sinner who repents than for 99 rightous people who do not need to repent. Luke 15:7
2011 Motobecane 9357 Fly
2013 KHS SJ100
1994 Trek 930
BYGG MTB Racing
countryboy_mike

Postby reidabel » June 2nd, 2013, 11:41 am

Thanks - we've already arranged to meet at 2:30, and one of the three of us is familiar with the place, so we're good on that account. If you want to delay your ride and ride with us, that would be great, but I think you're faster than we are. The experienced guy said we should count on three hours to do this loop, factoring in all the rests we typically need to take! You may want to make darn sure you're out of sight before we show up ;-)

Thanks, Mike ...

Update: We burned it up! 3:20 ... which includes some time spent taking videos and photographs. Much time was also spent pushing bikes up hills. All in all, this place is a lot of fun and we had a great time!
reidabel

Postby bax » June 5th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Snuck out of work and rode today. Trail is in great condition!
bax

Postby BigfootDenny » June 5th, 2013, 10:37 pm

did some riding at Poto today... trail in great condition... especially due to the great effort of MMBA Trail workers.
Again today I caught G. Cook out there thrashing and clearing huge sections of the trail. Kudos to him and others for their dedication and efforts to maintain the trail, as well create reroutes or trail mods when needed.
Your efforts are absolutely appreciated.
BigfootDenny

Postby G.Cook » June 6th, 2013, 6:13 am

did some riding at Poto today... trail in great condition... especially due to the great effort of MMBA Trail workers.
Again today I caught G. Cook out there thrashing and clearing huge sections of the trail. Kudos to him and others for their dedication and efforts to maintain the trail, as well create reroutes or trail mods when needed.
Your efforts are absolutely appreciated.

well.there is some ( a lot :wink: ) self interest in those efforts, thanks. :icon_thumright:
G.Cook

Postby hala514 » June 7th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Just rode the full loop. Trail is AWESOME right now. section immediately before sand hill was sandier than I would have expected, although the hill itself wasn't too bad; other than that it is GREAT.
hala514

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments