For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby Sortaslow » July 30th, 2010, 8:41 am

Why do you think this trail sucks?
Sortaslow

Postby Paul Brown » July 30th, 2010, 8:45 am

Biggredd911 wrote:
Biggredd911 wrote:Going to try this trail for the first time today with a couple of co-workers. I saw a YouTube video of this trail system and the guy filming it was slow but the trail looked fast sooooooo this should be interesting.

-Tom

This trail SUCKED! I'm never coming back again! Thank you though to the guys whom helped out my buddy with a flat.... we went through a couple of tubes and then ran out. But anyhoo... yeah... this trail blows. Their I said it.

I was out there last night, the trail rocks, you on the other hand...well, give no details of why, IYO, the trail "blows". Care to expound? Or maybe you are trolling. If you do want to give reasons for your opinion, you may want to start a new thread as to not clutter this trail condition thread.
Paul Brown

Postby bill_m » July 30th, 2010, 9:28 am

Biggredd911 wrote:This trail SUCKED! I'm never coming back again! Thank you though to the guys whom helped out my buddy with a flat.... we went through a couple of tubes and then ran out. But anyhoo... yeah... this trail blows. Their I said it.

Why don't we look at this as an opportunity to get some feedback from a new rider. All of us Poto Vets can lose sight of how hard the trail is for both inexperienced riders and first time Poto riders.

Can you tell us some of the specific things that made the trail an un-enjoyable experience for you?
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby jrshome » July 30th, 2010, 9:50 am

bill_m wrote:
Biggredd911 wrote:This trail SUCKED! I'm never coming back again! Thank you though to the guys whom helped out my buddy with a flat.... we went through a couple of tubes and then ran out. But anyhoo... yeah... this trail blows. Their I said it.

Why don't we look at this as an opportunity to get some feedback from a new rider. All of us Poto Vets can lose sight of how hard the trail is for both inexperienced riders and first time Poto riders.

Can you tell us some of the specific things that made the trail an un-enjoyable experience for you?

I guess I am also wondering what "sucked". Hard trail and sucked are two different things. I know I take for granted knowing my way around but I have never took anyone out that said the trail sucked. If you are going to come in here and say that anything sucks, I think you owe the community an explanation......
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together..."
-- Carl Zwanzig
jrshome

Postby Sortaslow » July 30th, 2010, 10:10 am

I wonder of he meant it sucks as in "tough trail"?

Tough trail..... yes.
Eroded more than some other trails..
.yes.

Doesn't mean it sucks.

I guess that is what I like about this trail.

As far as getting around.... I went as a relative newb by myself few years back for the first time and, while yes you may have to stop to figure a fork or two out, it's not that bad!

If you want to follow rails and not think, go ride a rollercoaster!

And if you think the trail sucks because you find it tough, well keep riding and increase your skills-don't blame a great trail for your shortcomings.
Sortaslow

Postby G.Cook » July 30th, 2010, 10:46 am

Time to move this conversation out'a trail conditions/comments yet ? Just ask'n .
G.Cook

Postby georgemra » July 30th, 2010, 10:55 am

Agreed...let the guy have an opinion without chastising him for it.
georgemra

Postby bill_m » July 30th, 2010, 12:37 pm

It just so happens that there is a thread already started that would fit this topic nicely in the Poto Chapter section. Let's move the discussion of what you love, hate and love to hate about the Poto here:

http://mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=98837
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby VanillaGorilla23 » July 31st, 2010, 10:19 am

I rode the trail with him on thursday. It was just disapointing that if you follow the trail the correct way there are way more up-hills than downhills. Myself, I hate going up-hill (thats what chair lifts are for), not an XC guy so its just not my cup of tea. The downhill sections (felt few and far between) were fun but man if this trail ran backwards I think I would have enjoyed it more. However it was our first time riding the whole thing, I didnt care about it being rough or rutted, that is what made it fun. It just had far too many up-hill sections in comparision to the down hill sections.
VanillaGorilla23

Postby SteveF » July 31st, 2010, 11:29 am

Well, since the trail starts and finishes in the same spot I'm pretty sure there's exactly as much climbing as descending in terms of feet gained and lost. I suspect the climbs seemed longer than the descents because you were going slower and not enjoying it. You'll have to learn to at least tolerate climbing for most trails in this area I think--I don't think there's anything nearby that doesn't require you to earn your descents...
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby smp » July 31st, 2010, 6:16 pm

Thinking of riding tomorrow...did the trail see any real rain today? I live near island lake and it has not rained much, if anything???
If you don't know where you are going, you will probably end up somewhere else. -- Laurence J. Peter
smp

Postby barrybs » July 31st, 2010, 9:13 pm

Only a light drizzle hear today, the Poto will be fine.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby TenSpeed » August 1st, 2010, 10:20 am

VanillaGorilla23 wrote:I rode the trail with him on thursday. It was just disapointing that if you follow the trail the correct way there are way more up-hills than downhills. Myself, I hate going up-hill (thats what chair lifts are for), not an XC guy so its just not my cup of tea. The downhill sections (felt few and far between) were fun but man if this trail ran backwards I think I would have enjoyed it more. However it was our first time riding the whole thing, I didnt care about it being rough or rutted, that is what made it fun. It just had far too many up-hill sections in comparision to the down hill sections.

I felt the same way. Rode yesterday. It was fun, but the uphill is not what I was hoping for. Not bashing the trail, just stating an opinion.

It did rain yesterday but nothing more than a sprinkle while we were out there.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 3940/6000
TenSpeed

Postby twoINtheSky » August 7th, 2010, 4:49 pm

Was it just me, or was that power line that hangs low much lower than usual?
twoINtheSky

Postby mikesathome2 » August 13th, 2010, 10:17 am

IMO this trail has changed a lot over the years from bike/hike traffic and normanl erosion. Up hills are harder, downhills are not as smooth as before. Still love the trail, plan to ride it today @ 5pm
mikesathome2

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions