Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby georgemra » July 10th, 2010, 12:32 pm

I just love this trail. That aside, there are two spots where the trail is really rutted: at the beginning of the big descent after the first HOH, and another bad one on the descent after boyscout hill. Other than that have a good time.
georgemra

Postby ?andyA » July 11th, 2010, 7:35 pm

Rode at about 2pm today (11-Jul). A couple things of note besides the items mentioned above.

1. @ about 11.8 miles, there was a small (well, small-ish since it was about 5-6" in dia.) tree that was broken in half and has fallen and is hanging across the trail. It didn't fall onto the trail itself, but is hanging low enough to make it a pretty harsh widowmaker.

2. While not really a trail hazard, @ just about 12mi there is a power line that is hanging pretty low. Not enough to be a widowmaker, but may really surprise someone if they look up and see it close.
?andyA

Postby Brent » July 15th, 2010, 10:50 am

Rode the outer trail yesterday, I can sum it up in one word. DEEEEEET! The bugs are terrible.
Brent

Postby FizzFizz » July 19th, 2010, 8:46 am

Just a heads up, this past weekend, while doing a trail run I came across a down tree on Crooked Lake Trail, between post marker 3 and post marker 8. It was about half a mile west of post marker 3, near the bridge at Pickerel Lake. It is a big tree and I couldn't move it by myself. The clearance is about 2+ feet off the ground near the bottom of a hill, which would make it diffcult to stop the momentum of your bike and dismount, unless you try to bunny hop it, but that would be quite a spectacular hop.

Technically this is on the Crooked Lake trail, but I couldn't find a thread specific to that trail.

Happy trails.
FizzFizz

Postby deuxdiesel » July 22nd, 2010, 8:57 pm

Rode today and it was the worst for deer flies I've ever experienced. Make sure you take bug stuff.
deuxdiesel

Postby winbert » July 25th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Whoa, the Poto was wild & wooly today! Not for the faint of heart. A few greasy spots, lots of severly washed out sections, & numerous downed branches/trees/debris. Cleared a bunch of it, including anything we could get with a small hand saw. There were a few larger ones, unfortunately I don't have a good recollection of exactly where they were. I think one was between the hills of *beep*, & seems like it wasn't the first or last. Hopefully someone whose head hit the ground less than mine did today will post more accurate/reliable locations :oops: :wink:...

winbert

p.s. No bugs to speak of...
Avitar = grooming my future stoker
"A 29er's a greyhound, a 26er's a rabbit." - Miker J
"My handlebars are real unusual looking too....so I am legit." - mward
"Steel is real. Aluminum is real too, it just doesn't rhyme." - mward
winbert

Postby djansen00 » July 26th, 2010, 9:39 pm

Tree down about 1 mile before the 4 corners on the scenic ridge section. Another tree down right after the 2nd hill of *beep* almost exactly where a different tree was down last month.

The rain last Friday brought even more interesting washouts and sand and roots. Trail difficulty is up a notch or two.

Someone dug a bunch of drainage trenches all over the place. Was that official trail work? I seem to remember someone doing that unofficially last year before Dances with Dirt.
djansen00

Postby barrybs » July 27th, 2010, 12:32 pm

djansen00 wrote:Tree down about 1 mile before the 4 corners on the scenic ridge section. Another tree down right after the 2nd hill of *beep* almost exactly where a different tree was down last month.

The rain last Friday brought even more interesting washouts and sand and roots. Trail difficulty is up a notch or two.

Someone dug a bunch of drainage trenches all over the place. Was that official trail work? I seem to remember someone doing that unofficially last year before Dances with Dirt.

I should be able to get these cleared this evening.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby G.Cook » July 27th, 2010, 7:35 pm

Thanks for all the work you do on the Poto berrybs . 8)
G.Cook

Postby barrybs » July 27th, 2010, 9:51 pm

G.Cook wrote:Thanks for all the work you do on the Poto berrybs . 8)

Thanks, but I've been kind of slacking so far this year, been pretty busy. How are those ribs coming along ?

Anyhow, I got the two trees cleared from the Poto as well as the one on the Crooked Lk Trail. If there's any more out there post up, I didn't ride the full trail tonight.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby djansen00 » July 27th, 2010, 9:58 pm

Thanks Barry!
djansen00

Postby G.Cook » July 28th, 2010, 2:11 am

How are those ribs coming along ?

I only flinch now when I sneeze , cough or laugh . :D
I'm going to try the CX this week to see how that goes .
I'll be walking the Gosling maybe today to check it out .
Thanks for asking .
G.Cook

Postby Biggredd911 » July 29th, 2010, 8:58 am

Going to try this trail for the first time today with a couple of co-workers. I saw a YouTube video of this trail system and the guy filming it was slow but the trail looked fast sooooooo this should be interesting.

-Tom
Stumpjumper Expert Carbon 6Fattie
S-WORKS Camber 29er
Fatboy Comp with Lauf Carbonara
Roubiax Comp Disc
Diverge Comp DSW X1

HEY, MY BIKE IS FOR SALE!! --> http://lansing.craigslist.org/bik/5777179032.html
Biggredd911

Postby bill_m » July 29th, 2010, 5:56 pm

Keep in mind the Poto is more beat down than usual from the relentless storms this summer. I swear it's always something causing problems out there :?
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby Biggredd911 » July 30th, 2010, 8:39 am

Biggredd911 wrote:Going to try this trail for the first time today with a couple of co-workers. I saw a YouTube video of this trail system and the guy filming it was slow but the trail looked fast sooooooo this should be interesting.

-Tom

This trail SUCKED! I'm never coming back again! Thank you though to the guys whom helped out my buddy with a flat.... we went through a couple of tubes and then ran out. But anyhoo... yeah... this trail blows. Their I said it.
Stumpjumper Expert Carbon 6Fattie
S-WORKS Camber 29er
Fatboy Comp with Lauf Carbonara
Roubiax Comp Disc
Diverge Comp DSW X1

HEY, MY BIKE IS FOR SALE!! --> http://lansing.craigslist.org/bik/5777179032.html
Biggredd911

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions