Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby barrybs » June 17th, 2010, 4:11 pm

Look here:

http://www.ewashtenaw.org/government/de ... rpark.html

7660 Stony Creek Rd.
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
(734) 484-9676 Park
(734) 484-9703 Fax
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby michael48197 » June 17th, 2010, 9:36 pm

To "twoINtheSky":

Rolling Hills has its own forum in Trails & Conditions. A trail map is posted there (see my recent post in early June/late May) as well as directions and links in the first post. As for the Trail Guide, I've been working with the Webmaster to get RHP posted there, but haven't been able to get them to do it yet. Sorry.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby twoINtheSky » June 18th, 2010, 9:12 am

Thanks replies, big help. The trail map is nice. Looking forward to checking RH out this weekend.
twoINtheSky

Postby cmkovick » June 18th, 2010, 12:29 pm

I had time for a quick ride this morning and rode what I can the double shortcut (skipped the first left and took the shortcut). This loop (about 11 miles) is in good shape(not muddy, some loose/sandy spots). With days like the last few Gosling should dry out pretty soon.

Chuck
Chuck Kovick
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee
Get on the list to help @ volunteer@waterlootrail.org
https://www.facebook.com/dtetrail/

"Build It, Before You Ride It"
cmkovick

Postby twoINtheSky » June 19th, 2010, 8:15 am

What a gorgeous day today....any chance that hurricane that came through last night missed the trails :shock:
twoINtheSky

Postby jrshome » June 19th, 2010, 8:16 am

Was thinking about driving out the afternoon, buddy of mine is camping a Bruin Lake and wants to ride. Two questions, after the storms last night, what a the Trail conditions like(hoping someone heads out this morning) second easist way to get from trail to Bruin Lake Campground. Was going to park at silver lake ride like normal and get off the trail by paterson lake rd and crossing at the bottom of paterson lake. I see two rds that almost connect. Anyone gone that way? Can I sneak through? Long way around to get to the campground if I can't cut though those woods.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together..."
-- Carl Zwanzig
jrshome

Postby djansen00 » June 23rd, 2010, 4:47 pm

Rode the shortcut loop last night expecting that Gosling would be a muddy mess. Most of the rest of the trail was dry but the erosion is pretty severe....I'm guessing from the storm Friday night. Be careful on the downhills...the lines that were there last week may not be there any more.
djansen00

Postby risnewski » June 25th, 2010, 8:00 pm

Other than some face slappers and your usual mid-summer ruts, Poto was in great shape today. Even Gosling was pretty good. The only bad mud was that usually wet spot at the base of the downhill turn before the wood bridge near the Deliverance house. The erosion ruts make the downhills interesting and the sand is getting thick in areas. Great time to ride.
risnewski

Postby Bento » June 27th, 2010, 8:54 pm

I got my ride in before the rain Sunday afternoon. I haven't been on the Poto for quite a few weeks. The trail was tacky in spots. Gosling had a few muddy spots that were on the mend between Doyle Rd and Patterson Lk Rd, southbound. Of course, it rained there later this afternoon, so I would think for Monday, it would be a little more than tacky.

One thing I noticed while crossing the first of the Hiland Lake bridges, that there were several nails sticking up, over a quarter of an inch. I went back and shoe pounded the two that I noticed while crossing. Later I saw several others "growing". Seems like the screw type nails might be required. I am concerned about the overall condition of the Hiland bridges. In general, does the "DNR" have an inspection schedule? Do they do maintenance to extend the life of the bridges. It would be a major PITA to have these bridges closed for construction without a plan to get them back up quickly.
Bento

Postby Green Giant » June 28th, 2010, 7:23 pm

Going to be road tripping to the east side of the state tomorrow (Tues 6-29) - any trail updates would be great. Thanks.
Green Giant

Postby Coach Hoski » June 28th, 2010, 8:05 pm

Rode the shortcut loop this afternoon.
I noticed some of the downhill sections were particularly washed out, I had to take some drops slower than I would have liked. The rain seems to have caused the middles of those downhill sections to loosen, and the sides are steeper than normal. Makes it kinda tough to be particular about your descent lines. I was surprised that there weren't many puddles (but there were some) and the spots that were damp had dry areas laterally that you could go around without going off the trail. The sand pits area is definitely getting nasty at this point.
All in all, it was better than I thought it would be given the recent rains and should definitely be better tomorrow.
Coach Hoski

Postby djansen00 » July 1st, 2010, 8:46 pm

Thanks to whoever did all the work on Gosling. It looked great and made that section of the trail a complete joy to ride. I'm still trying to make my seasonal adaptation to all the fricking washouts and preponderance of sand...but other than those things I had an awesome ride tonight. There's a little bit bit of mud here and there and still some standing water in the usual spot on Gosling before the last boardwalk.
djansen00

Postby spwrozek » July 4th, 2010, 1:05 pm

If you find the contents of my saddle bag feel free to keep them. Flat tube, tire puller, Co2 gun, empty cartridge, part of a patch kit. Also my pride is out there somewhere.

Thanks to the guy who gave me a third tube so I could finish riding...
spwrozek

Poto: Potawatomi

Postby kbankes » July 5th, 2010, 3:45 pm

Rode poto for the first time this season yesterday. Just wanted to thank all the folks who built the planked bridge over the root bridge. Well done.
kbankes

Postby cmkovick » July 7th, 2010, 9:56 am

The trail needs a drink. It is getting pretty loose in a lot of areas and could use a few rains to get it packed back down. The deer flies were the worst I have ever seen them this morning. Just ride fast and they won't catch you. The post ride swim has officially been added to the to do list each time I am out there, very refreshing on hot and humid days like today.
Chuck Kovick
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee
Get on the list to help @ volunteer@waterlootrail.org
https://www.facebook.com/dtetrail/

"Build It, Before You Ride It"
cmkovick

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions