Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby barrybs » April 6th, 2013, 5:21 pm

djansen00 wrote:Just rode everything but Gosling. Deadfall is still there. And yeah Greg you're totally right....it's only the beginning part of the trail that's wet. The rest of it is beautiful.

Gosling is fine too. The only soft spot was directly across the road from the house on Doyle. Even the low spot before the clay hill was solid.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby RobM » April 7th, 2013, 7:39 am

As of 6:30-8AM today, there is no mud and only three deadfalls over the trail.

First is on the third hill after the trail rejoins the shortcut from post #6 (this is the section with three rolling hills, a bench at the top of one and just before a sharp left gravel turn).

Second is the one after the small bridge in the hills of bleep section, previously mentioned in postings.

Third is on the sharp right turn on the downhill of the last big hill in the hills of bleep section (the last big hill before post #12 and Blind Lake, the hill that was re-routed about 5 years ago).

Trail is totally clear from Blind Lake to the end and in really good shape...no water or mud at all in Gosling Lake section. enjoy the ride!
RobM

Postby cajames » April 13th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Since the weather has turned nasty I've got some extra time to work on my ride. Can someone recommend a 29er tire for riding Poto? I rode her about 10 times last year and need something new for a rear tire. Please chime in if you have a tire that works well for you here.

Thanks.
cajames

Postby jajones » April 13th, 2013, 9:07 pm

I always like to run a low, but even knob profile on my 29ers out there, unless it gets real leafy and thick in fall -- something like a Hutchinson Python, Geax Sagauro, or Conti Race King.
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Waterloo (MTB Trail System) Working Group, Acting Chair

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby Ed » April 13th, 2013, 9:51 pm

I'm with Jonesy on this; a fast, low-knob/semi slick. Last year I ran a Bontrager 29-1 in 2.0" width. It provided all the traction I needed and very little rolling resistance.
Ed

Postby cajames » April 17th, 2013, 10:00 am

Thank you both.

I'll stick with the Racing Ralph EVO then. I should have another season worth of tred on it.
cajames

Postby Paul Brown » April 17th, 2013, 10:08 am

I keep thinking there is a trail condition update every time I get a notification.
Now I am the guy not posting a trail condition on the trail condition thread. :mrgreen:
Paul Brown

Postby risnewski » April 17th, 2013, 7:58 pm

Paul Brown wrote:I keep thinking there is a trail condition update every time I get a notification.
Now I am the guy not posting a trail condition on the trail condition thread. :mrgreen:

Wellll, trail was near perfect when I left at 4:30 today. As the thunderstorms were rolling in...

Gosling had a few puddles and some light mud. After the next 24 hours of expected rain, I'd say Gosling loop will become an avoid for a few days.

Oh, and Rocket Ron's (me) and Geax Saguaros (BrotherBob) were perfectly fine for today's ride.
risnewski

Postby ChrisInYpsi » April 22nd, 2013, 11:39 am

Anyone know if the Poto has dried out enough since last week's rains?
ChrisInYpsi

Postby msugma » April 22nd, 2013, 12:09 pm

ChrisInYpsi wrote:Anyone know if the Poto has dried out enough since last week's rains?

I rode it Saturday morning. The Gosling loop is a wet, muddy mess, but everything else was perfect. I should have taken the shortcut.
msugma

Postby cmkovick » April 22nd, 2013, 5:01 pm

ChrisInYpsi wrote:Anyone know if the Poto has dried out enough since last week's rains?

I rode the full loop this afternoon. The trail for the majority is in great shape. Gosling had about 4 or 5 areas that were muddy/standing water, but fairly short in length. I saw Greg out there working his magic and made a few spots much better.
Waterloo Working Group
Fatback 190 aka Big Booty Queen B of Waterloo
Stumpy Marathon HT
Salsa El Mariachi SS
KLR 650
cmkovick

Postby chong » April 23rd, 2013, 1:16 pm

Rode the short loop last night. Encountered very little mud in the one spot that never seems to dry. Overall the trail was in great shape. Thanks to everyone who keeps tabs on fallen trees and the like.
chong

Postby reshp1 » April 23rd, 2013, 2:54 pm

I was out there orienteering on Sunday and the sections of trail I saw were totally fine except for maybe a couple spots where leaf piles were retaining moisture. I'd imagine Gosling loop is still a bit muddy, but otherwise I'd say go for it.
reshp1

Postby Mike 373 » April 26th, 2013, 3:15 pm

How is it out there after the recent bout of rain?
Mike 373

Postby G.Cook » April 26th, 2013, 6:43 pm

Running event Sat. 4/27 from 8 am - 12 pm. It will be hectic in the parking lot before and after. Maybe plan for a late PM ride.
Trail is good to go with the usual muddy spots that are drying out.
Please ride THROUGH them and not around. Because that's what Jesus would want you to do. :icon_sunny:
G.Cook

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments