Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby barrybs » May 28th, 2010, 5:09 pm

Rode Poto today and the only muddy spots left were the usual ones on the Gosling loop.

Someone replaced the broken board on the bridge just before Gosling Lake access rd. and I cleared the downed tree by the deliverance house. Everything else should be good to go.

Looks like our Gosling Gardener (G. Cook) has been quite busy brushing out trail, thanks.

Saw one large snapping turtle and two baby racoons. :)

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby poirier » June 2nd, 2010, 8:42 am

A friend lost a Specialized bike computer last night around 8 PM. It fell off somewhere between the top of the sand bowl and the first three miles of Gosling. If anyone finds it, send me a PM. Thanks!

Specialized SpeedZone Elite computer:
http://www.specialized.com/nz/en/bc/SBC ... spid=41876
http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/equ ... 1210_l.jpg
World's Best Dad Bod

This forum is to be used for entertainment purposes only
poirier

Postby john_galt » June 3rd, 2010, 1:15 pm

How long is the shortcut loop (not including the Silver Lake loop)?
john_galt

Postby barrybs » June 3rd, 2010, 5:31 pm

If you mean ride the Poto from the Silver Lake trailhead out to the shortcut, take the shortcut, and then rejoin the Poto and ride it back to the Silver Lake trailhead you will go about 14.4 miles.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby john_galt » June 3rd, 2010, 7:51 pm

Yeah, exactly what i mean. Ooops! took my fiance' out for a hike last weekend...thought it was 8 miles. I ride the shortcut loop plus silver lake all the time and always thought that was 10 miles! At least we know her capabilities now!
john_galt

Postby barrybs » June 4th, 2010, 8:04 am

If you are riding what what some of us call the short/short loop and taking the first right fork down past the old chimney before rejoining the Poto @ four corners and then continuing as above you will have about 10 miles.

Barry
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby Roy » June 5th, 2010, 6:25 am

For a shorter ride (about 8 miles) I link the Poto trial to the crooked lake trail. I make the turn at the where the Silver lake trail intersects the Poto trail a second time. If you make this cut out you will very quickly cross a bridge. If you miss this cut you will next cross Hankerd Rd. Just before Crooked Lake trail you will cross a pile of rocks. Turn left on Crooked Lake trail. Take it to Poto and up the big hill.
For a shorter route: Poto to Silver lake (go straight were Poto and silver lake split) to Crooked Lake to Poto.
Roy
Roy

Postby ibisman » June 5th, 2010, 8:12 am

Are those the loops they had out there many years ago? I remember there was 3 loops of different milage.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby barrybs » June 5th, 2010, 8:42 am

Yes, there are basically three loops, parts of which overlap, plus the shortcut that separates the Gosling or North part of the Poto from the rest.

Barry
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby r21954 » June 10th, 2010, 12:01 am

some major tree downage on the short cut from 10 to 2. definately chain saw required
r21954

Postby IFrider1 » June 10th, 2010, 10:48 am

Another big tree after 3rd hill of h$ll downhill. A few washouts here and there. Watch the downhill after the boyscout hill - the top is washed out a bit and there is a wheel sucking channel toward the bottom....
IFrider1

Postby twoINtheSky » June 13th, 2010, 3:20 pm

Muddy and slick. Gotta work to keep that front wheel under you flying around some of those turns. Failed twice and got nice and dirty. Fun ride though. I had to head straight to the car wash after the ride, so if you dont have time for a cleanup wouldnt recommend poto right now.
twoINtheSky

Postby tadraper » June 13th, 2010, 4:50 pm

Tree down at 5.71 miles according to my garmin. Just past the the switchback after Hankerd rd. the trail was a little soft in spots and yes clean up after is a must. good ride today
2017 Farley EX 8
2016 Crux Expert Evo
2016 C-Dale 29er Tandem
2013 Origin8 Paladin with my son
2010 Gary Fisher Triton SS
tadraper

Postby cmkovick » June 15th, 2010, 6:09 pm

Gosling loop has some pretty muddy spots. Other than that the trail was pretty nice today with a few mud holes here and there. If I ride again tomorrow I will be skipping Gosling.

Chuck
Chuck Kovick
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee
Get on the list to help @ volunteer@waterlootrail.org
https://www.facebook.com/dtetrail/

"Build It, Before You Ride It"
cmkovick

Postby twoINtheSky » June 17th, 2010, 2:57 pm

Can anyone provide an address (I have a garmin) or general directions to Rolling Hills from Ann Arbor. I did not see it in the trail guide. I have been to Hewens Creek and I know it is close.

Thanks!
twoINtheSky

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions