Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby MLKuhl » April 4th, 2013, 10:31 am

Wondering same thing, please post up what you find. Would love to hit it Saturday am if its good to go..of course minus Gosling. Thanks
MLKuhl

Postby G.Cook » April 4th, 2013, 11:35 am

Checked Gosling on Tues. and it was slick and snotty in all the usual spots. I'm thinking ,for the most part , the Poto is good to go except of course the "usual spots" . Ride through , NOT AROUND.
G.Cook

Postby Scott_Lobbestael » April 4th, 2013, 2:18 pm

I checked Gosling on Tues. as well. Not ready, didn't seem close. I am going to try the rest shortly, seems ok.
Scott_Lobbestael

Postby MLKuhl » April 4th, 2013, 3:41 pm

Sounds good, I plan to ride early Saturday if the rain holds off and will ride through and not around for sure. Thanks for all the hard work you guys do there!
MLKuhl

Postby djansen00 » April 4th, 2013, 4:55 pm

If the standard is not not leave a mark behind you, it's not quite ready yet. I went in about a quarter mile from the trailhead and about half of it was still pretty soft. Hopefully Saturday it will be better.
Dave
Wheels in Motion Racing - http://wimracing.org
Dirty Dropouts Email Ride List - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/dirtydropouts
djansen00

Postby G.Cook » April 4th, 2013, 7:10 pm

There were some soft spots but they were fewer and far between the further out you got. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised even on the Northern (Gosling ) loop.
There is some dead fall that has to be taken out and I will deal with that on Fri. AM.
First full Poto ride and I kept hearing this song going around in my head;
G.Cook

Postby djansen00 » April 4th, 2013, 10:55 pm

Greg, I yield to your opinion on the matter. Age before beauty as they say.
Dave
Dirty Dropouts Email Ride List - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/dirtydropouts
djansen00

Postby G.Cook » April 5th, 2013, 2:46 am

Greg, I yield to your opinion on the matter. Age before beauty as they say.

Ain't touch'n that....
I only saw your tracks a few times and it just didn't appear or feel any worse then the trail feels after a couple of days drying out from a rain event. It seemed the worse part was the start before you hit campground road. I took the pavement to avoid that section. Couple of spots past the entrance gate that I walked and that was about it. No standing water or mud holes of consequence. When I got off at Doyle I actually had dust on the bike instead of any accumulation of mud. Tuesday on the north loop I bailed just past the boardwalk on Doyle because I was leaving tracks with the Fat Bike. It wasn't like that Thur. late pm.
My riding the fat bike I don't think would have been different from riding any other bike. Hitting any soft spots as noted depended , it seemed , on the line taken. But it was a reeeaaaally slow ride.
G.Cook

Postby Scott_Lobbestael » April 5th, 2013, 6:36 am

I pretty much thought what Greg said about the trail, not truly 100% yet, but coming along really nicely. Just a quick note, there are still some trees down out there, so keep your head up. One in particular, comes up quickly.
Scott_Lobbestael

Postby G.Cook » April 5th, 2013, 9:34 am

The DNR is going to take out the dead fall today. Thank'em if you see'm. :D
The one that comes up on you kind of fast is past the bridge that cross's the stream in the Hill"s of *beep*.
G.Cook

Postby gfg2 » April 5th, 2013, 8:35 pm

Bummer. I really wanted to ride Poto tomorrow but based on prior postings made other plans.:(
gfg2

Postby MLKuhl » April 6th, 2013, 1:15 pm

Rode all but the most northern part by the U of M fence..jumped on whatever that dirt road is & took that down to where the trail picks up. Got there just before 9 and trail was in pretty good shape. I think I counted 4 trees across trail, 1 @ 2.7 miles, 1 @ 5.5 miles and two more but cant remember mileage. By the time I finished, that last section from dirt road to parking lot was a mud pit! I would advise skipping that and take dirt road around to parking lot and ride early before it gets too soft.
MLKuhl

Postby G.Cook » April 6th, 2013, 3:23 pm

well that was a let down about the dead fall. Sounded like the DNR was going to get those yesterday. :?
G.Cook

Postby djansen00 » April 6th, 2013, 4:05 pm

Just rode everything but Gosling. Deadfall is still there. And yeah Greg you're totally right....it's only the beginning part of the trail that's wet. The rest of it is beautiful.
Dave
djansen00

Postby G.Cook » April 6th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Just rode everything but Gosling. Deadfall is still there. And yeah Greg you're totally right....it's only the beginning part of the trail that's wet. The rest of it is beautiful.

.....and then it all turns to crap starting Sun.
G.Cook

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments