Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby Geff » May 7th, 2010, 9:27 am

SteveF wrote:
G.Cook wrote:I know there is an effort an to find a more suitable return route off the road before the start , but nothing has been found so far to support a decent approach down to the parking lot . A lot of swamp and low ground to work around in that area .
Riders choice at this juncture I'm afraid . Hopefully most folks will use common sense and courtesy when making the decision as to choice of route to ride back down to the lot .

Remember, folks-uphill rider has the right of way...

Thanks for the reminders.
Geff

Postby rocky roooad » May 8th, 2010, 11:13 pm

Anyone know what the conditions are like at Poto? Would like to try to ride there in the afternoon.
*andrea*
rocky roooad

Postby risnewski » May 10th, 2010, 8:47 pm

Poto was in great shape today. One widow-maker at about mile 1.44 (swoopy down hill after that early on rocky double climb). Tall riders with a pack might get hung here. The trail was suprising dry. A bit of mud here and there but none at the root bridge and very little in Gosling. I suspect it will handle tomorrow's rain very well.

Oh, and there was a strange acting raccon on the first climb. It stayed on the trail and advanced towards the bike as I passed by. I suspect it's sick or worse.
risnewski

Postby risnewski » May 10th, 2010, 8:50 pm

I forgot--there are some broken boards on the long bridge through the marsh before the dirt park road leading to the Deliverance house.
risnewski

Postby djansen00 » May 11th, 2010, 12:29 pm

Yeah that boardwalk is feeling mighty shaky. Seems like it's going to need a complete overhaul soon. Are there any plans to do that?
djansen00

Postby Geff » May 11th, 2010, 12:37 pm

djansen00 wrote:Yeah that boardwalk is feeling mighty shaky. Seems like it's going to need a complete overhaul soon. Are there any plans to do that?

Will be more than happy to volunteer and get others, so long as it is not during Mackinaw races.
Geff

Postby djansen00 » May 16th, 2010, 7:20 pm

Couldn't make the race at Brighton so rode the Poto this afternoon. Mostly dry except for about a mile stretch on Gosling which is about as bad as I've ever seen it. Quite a bit of unavoidable mud. My drive train wasn't happy. The sand is also getting getting pretty bad in a lot of places. That said, the Poto was as marvelous as ever. Beautiful day, beautiful ride.
djansen00

Postby Geff » May 16th, 2010, 8:15 pm

Boat's in the water! Now I can ride more...WhooHOOO!
Geff

Postby risnewski » May 17th, 2010, 7:37 pm

Trail was in fine condition today. No mud at the old root bridge route and just a couple muddy areas at Gosling Lake loop. More sand and gravel than just a week ago.
risnewski

Postby twoINtheSky » May 21st, 2010, 10:57 am

Was out yesterday eve. Interesting set of conditions. You can experience all the flavors in one ride. Overall conditions are quite good, but who knows after today and this weekend.
twoINtheSky

Postby mtb_frk » May 23rd, 2010, 3:30 pm

Lots of variation in the trail conditions. Mud, water flowing down the trail, sand and perfectly dry. Lots fun, I need to ride it more than once every 5 years.
KLM/Cold Stone Racing
mtb_frk

Postby bh357 » May 23rd, 2010, 6:10 pm

mtb_frk wrote:Lots of variation in the trail conditions. Mud, water flowing down the trail, sand and perfectly dry. Lots fun, I need to ride it more than once every 5 years.

To expand on this, the Gosling Loop was by far the worst as far as mud goes.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby G.Cook » May 23rd, 2010, 6:50 pm

To expand on this, the Gosling Loop was by far the worst as far as mud goes.

Always is after a big rain event . But we could fix that............ :wink:
G.Cook

Postby djansen00 » May 25th, 2010, 10:17 am

Rode this morning and was surprised at how wet it still was. Still very ride-able...but pretty tacky all over with a fair number of muddy spots. I skipped Gosling thinking it would be a real mess. I also almost ran over a giant turtle...scared the crap out of me! Beautiful morning...get out there and enjoy the weather this week!
djansen00

Postby Geff » May 25th, 2010, 10:28 am

djansen00 wrote:Rode this morning and was surprised at how wet it still was. Still very ride-able...but pretty tacky all over with a fair number of muddy spots. I skipped Gosling thinking it would be a real mess. I also almost ran over a giant turtle...scared the crap out of me! Beautiful morning...get out there and enjoy the weather this week!

It should probably be dried up by the end of this week with this weather, although Thur looks to be a bit of a wash out. What we really need is a bit of dry breeze to help, but I don't think that will come to fruition. Only these bake until done temps. Thanks for the update! Glad you enjoyed the ride and morning. Work is almost over for the season so it will be time to get out there at these morning times when relatively no one is there and enjoy it too. Can't wait!
Geff

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions