Poto: Brighton

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Brighton

Postby CTB » September 14th, 2014, 7:07 pm

I second EnRaz's report. The trail was in great shape and was great fun today. I smiled the whole way.
CTB

Postby G.Cook » September 18th, 2014, 12:44 pm

Rode Torn Shirt . Removed some of the debris , still a lot out there .
Haven't ride'n TS in a few years . Probably since the "Day of the Big Reroutes" . So it was nice to see how well they are holding up. The new one Bus Driver put in with the machine works great .
The eroded gravel climbs weren't that much of a problem . I do take issue with the tight turns into those climbs . They are momentum killers . Otherwise no big deal .
I have been very remiss in not getting off my lazy old fat ass and not giving TS more love . :cry:
Had a pedal malfunction 3 mi.s in so it was a "delicate" ride the last 2 . Still good . :wink:
G.Cook

Postby c0nsumer » September 18th, 2014, 8:46 pm

I rode Brighton for the first time in three years (that was first time) today as well. It seemed pretty clear to me, so whatever G.Cook did must have helped. Torn Shirt was not as bad as I remembered, and Murray Lake was a lot more fun than I remembered. The damage in Tornado Alley was really impressive as well.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby ihateplaindave » September 19th, 2014, 11:18 am

+1 to what Consumer said. I hadn't ridden it in over a year til last week and TS seemed less loose on the climbs and I had forgotten how much fun Murray is.
ihateplaindave

Postby vette-ss » September 19th, 2014, 12:17 pm

IMO, the weather we've had this year (persistant rain but nothing too heavy) has helped hold the climbs together on TS. Spinning out on the loose steep climbs is what makes TS difficult. The best conditions I've ever seen out there was right after all of the snow melted this spring.

I was introduced to an extension off of the Found Loop on a group ride earlier in the summer that adds another 1.5-2 miles (I call it the Lost Again Loop). Is it ok to be riding this or is it 100% bandit? They said it would become official sometime this summer, but last I was there it's still flagged around the entrance. If you ride all of it, the Brighton trail is getting close to 20 miles total. That makes for a pretty good ride that's not overly easy.
vette-ss

Postby Mr Wonderful » September 19th, 2014, 4:38 pm

Orienteering meet Saturday 9/20, roughly 12-3. No trouble on Murray Lake, but might be a few bewildered people in and around Torn Shirt in the first and last thirds, particularly the 2nd half mile or so near the beginning. I will advise them to watch for bikes.
Mr Wonderful

Postby washedout » September 23rd, 2014, 9:00 am

There is a monster log jam of tree(s) down on Murray just south of the rustic camping road crossing after coming back from the lost/found loops. Not sure of murray mile marker, but between 10 and 11 on strava with torn shirt at the beginning.

Shoulda taken a picture, it was around 8-10' high and maybe 6-8 limbs of chainsaw diameter stacked at various heights.

No easy walk/ride around (30-40' wide), we climbed and squeezed between a few limbs handing bikes up and down.
washedout

Postby mrbikester » September 23rd, 2014, 8:00 pm

Our first ride at Murray Lake trail this year. Overall trail was in great shape except for the mention of the massive amounts of tree limbs across trail at mile 8.2 if you include all the lost loop. It is just after the outhouse next to trail near campgrounds. No easy way around this mess. We went back to where outhouse is and rode the dirt road to the left to where you see a small connector trail on left that takes you back to trail.
That lost loop area sure is nice. It really flows nice and with all the pine trees makes you feel you are way up north somewhere.
mrbikester

Postby Scaryrider » September 23rd, 2014, 8:18 pm

Took care of the big tree mess on Murray Lake trail tonight ,as well as one on Torn Shirt around 5 mile mark.
Scaryrider

Postby mrbikester » September 23rd, 2014, 8:51 pm

Wow, Thanks to Scaryrider for all his hard work tonight. That must have taken a lot of time and not an easy job. Very impressive and very appreciative. Many Thanks to you! There should be awards at the end of the year for people like you.
mrbikester

Postby jmf003 » September 25th, 2014, 12:36 pm

Trails are in marvelous shape today.

The tree cleanup was impressive, as if the tree falls never happened in the first place.
jmf003

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments