Poto: Brighton

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Brighton

Postby countryboy_mike » July 26th, 2016, 7:23 am

There are the typical DNR signs at most intersections of the two main trails Torn Shirt and Murray Lake. The other three are not marked with DNR signage. They are, however, fairly easy to follow. IF you're fairly fit I highly recommend riding all loops...Torn Shirt, Murray Lake, Lost, Found, Ralphs and the Appletom Loops. That will get you 20+ miles of riding. I like to ride Appleton as a warm up then go right to Torn Shirt to get that out of the way. It is by far the most challenging.
Then I hit Murray to Lost to Found to Ralphs back to finish Found back onto Lost back onto Murray to the finish. There really is only a couple places to get turned around but to get "lost" would be difficult.
There will be more rejoicing in heaven for one sinner who repents than for 99 rightous people who do not need to repent. Luke 15:7
2015 Motobecane Ti Fly 29er custom build
2011 Motobecane 9357 Fly
2013 KHS SJ100
1994 Trek 930
POTOMBA Chapter
Team Hometown
countryboy_mike

Postby ReidRules18 » July 26th, 2016, 7:34 am

countryboy_mike wrote:There are the typical DNR signs at most intersections of the two main trails Torn Shirt and Murray Lake. The other three are not marked with DNR signage. They are, however, fairly easy to follow. IF you're fairly fit I highly recommend riding all loops...Torn Shirt, Murray Lake, Lost, Found, Ralphs and the Appletom Loops. That will get you 20+ miles of riding. I like to ride Appleton as a warm up then go right to Torn Shirt to get that out of the way. It is by far the most challenging.
Then I hit Murray to Lost to Found to Ralphs back to finish Found back onto Lost back onto Murray to the finish. There really is only a couple places to get turned around but to get "lost" would be difficult.

Thanks a ton! I was afraid I would have to do multiple loops to hit the 20 miler mark. I am camping at Appleton campground and will be coming from the west side to ride the Poto, Highland, Brighton, and Island lake (a new trail everyday). Brighton is just one I haven't done before. Are the loops lost to found, etc. noted off of Murray or do I just need to decide at a fork which way to go?
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby countryboy_mike » July 26th, 2016, 7:42 am

Freaking awesome plan. You can hit up Mt Brighton for the dual slalom tomorrow too :D The Appleton Lake loop runs through the camp ground. It is accessible via the road into the camp. Take the trail heading west and that will get you on the second half of the loop. Follow that until it comes out on Bishop Lake road, cross and finish it up and the other trails go from there.
There will be more rejoicing in heaven for one sinner who repents than for 99 rightous people who do not need to repent. Luke 15:7
2011 Motobecane 9357 Fly
2013 KHS SJ100
1994 Trek 930
POTOMBA Chapter
Team Hometown
countryboy_mike

Postby countryboy_mike » July 26th, 2016, 7:59 am

Oh and while you are over riding Poto, take a little side trip over to the new Waterloo trail since you are over there anyway.
2011 Motobecane 9357 Fly
2013 KHS SJ100
1994 Trek 930
POTOMBA Chapter
Team Hometown
countryboy_mike

Postby b_b » July 26th, 2016, 8:57 am

Basically ALWAYS stay RIGHT on Murray to ride everything. Also note after you cross the Murray Lake campground road and cross a wooden bridge you will come to a sign Lost left Found right. Stay right for found and very shortly after that the trail will fork so stay right again and that will put you on the newer Ralph's loop. I don't think that fork is signed yet.
b_b

Postby Jared13 » July 26th, 2016, 9:00 am

countryboy_mike wrote:Oh and while you are over riding Poto, take a little side trip over to the new Waterloo trail since you are over there anyway.

Make two trips on separate days so you can ride both CW and CCW! :D

If you can only make one day, try for Tue/Thurs/Sat. Those are the CCW days. I think the consensus is it rides better that direction.
Jared13

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments