Poto: Brighton

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Brighton

Postby countryboy_mike » October 25th, 2013, 6:10 am

There will be firearm hunters out this time of year. Small game, upland birds and waterfowl are all in season right now. You shouldnt need to be too concerned about bow hunters, they will be in a tree and see everything that is coming up on them. The firearm deer season starts November 15th and runs though the 30th. Shortly after that the muzzleloading season will open up as well. Definitly wear hunter orange for Nov. 15th - 30th and whenever the muzzleloading season starts.

As for the ride, as vette-ss said, ride all loops twice and you will have a real nice 35 mile ride. People drive like idiots on the dirt roads in the area so beware of that.
There will be more rejoicing in heaven for one sinner who repents than for 99 rightous people who do not need to repent. Luke 15:7
2011 Motobecane 9357 Fly
2013 KHS SJ100
1994 Trek 930
BYGG MTB Racing
countryboy_mike

Postby b_b » October 25th, 2013, 6:18 am

xycarp wrote:I see Torn and Murray, but what are Lost and Found? I am looking at this map:
http://www.michigandnr.com/Publications ... ls2-07.pdf

Lost and found are part of Murray after #6 on the map past campground and bridge, but to ride "found" about a mile in you'll be thrown on a wider trail and will have the option to turn left, but GO STRAIGHT and then you'll also ride "found". It loops back and picks up "lost" shortly after where you would have turned left so you're not missing anything by going straight.
b_b

Postby Leroi Brown » October 25th, 2013, 8:16 am

When I was riding on the Found Loop on Wednesday during the day, there was a small game hunter shooting off rounds. I just whistled and made noise so that he/she knew I was there. Hunters, beyond some beliefs, are actually very responsible with their firearms and where they shoot them. It was a little alarming hearing the gunfire so close by, but it didn't send me into a frenzy. On the weekend, with increased bike traffic, hunters will be aware that you're there.

For a 40-miler, connect Brighton to ILRA via Maltby Rd. - great ride with very short sections of pavement to ride. I did this on Wed. and it was in fabulous shape! There's a connector into ILRA from the JC Penney parking lot off of Brighton Rd.

Torn Shirt will be totally fine to ride alone for 3-4 laps, although punishing :-) Riding 3-4 laps of Murray/Lost/Found will be more fun! :-)

There are signs on the trail for the Lost and the Found Loops, and they're pretty well marked. HIGHLY recomment Lost/Found!
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby MIman » November 12th, 2013, 11:04 pm

Hey guys, new to the site. I'm actually not a mountain biker, but rather a hunter in BRA. I believe the new "found" trails have been cut in the area I most frequently visit. The trails are very nice and I know there are trails cut through every inch of the area it seems. I'm glad you guys can enjoy the land to I just want to help you stay safe. Please were bright clothing. Also, as a matter of respect, I ask that you consider being quite, and avoid riding two hours after sunrise and before sunset. This is often considered the prime hunting time. Also, around November first the rut starts to pick up. For those who don't know the rut is the breeding period and is prime hunting. I know these requests might seem a tad bit ridiculous but it really bums hunters out to have bike riders come through with 1 hour left of hunting time. It's also quite annoying to hear your conversations for minutes. I hope you can respect my requests and perhaps think about them. I know you enjoy your hobby greatly, and I try to enjoy mine. However, I'm limited to 3 months to hunt so if you could respect hunters that would be terrific. Please never try and ruin someone's hunt, you could even be charged with hunter harassment. Again, I'm sorry if these requests seem ridiculous. Any questions and/or discussions you'd like to have feel free to PM me. I'm sorry if this comes off as hijacking the thread I'm just trying to help us both enjoy the woods we so greatly love.
MIman

Postby Dirtdevil » November 13th, 2013, 6:00 am

MIman wrote:Hey guys, new to the site. I'm actually not a mountain biker, but rather a hunter in BRA. I believe the new "found" trails have been cut in the area I most frequently visit. The trails are very nice and I know there are trails cut through every inch of the area it seems. I'm glad you guys can enjoy the land to I just want to help you stay safe. Please were bright clothing. Also, as a matter of respect, I ask that you consider being quite, and avoid riding two hours after sunrise and before sunset. This is often considered the prime hunting time. Also, around November first the rut starts to pick up. For those who don't know the rut is the breeding period and is prime hunting. I know these requests might seem a tad bit ridiculous but it really bums hunters out to have bike riders come through with 1 hour left of hunting time. It's also quite annoying to hear your conversations for minutes. I hope you can respect my requests and perhaps think about them. I know you enjoy your hobby greatly, and I try to enjoy mine. However, I'm limited to 3 months to hunt so if you could respect hunters that would be terrific. Please never try and ruin someone's hunt, you could even be charged with hunter harassment. Again, I'm sorry if these requests seem ridiculous. Any questions and/or discussions you'd like to have feel free to PM me. I'm sorry if this comes off as hijacking the thread I'm just trying to help us both enjoy the woods we so greatly love.

Thanks for the info. I would like to think that most of us on this board avoid riding in rec. areas or parks during firearm season for the reasons you outlined above. Of course, you're going to get a few ya-hoos who don't give a crap, but most of us here respect your limited timeframe to enjoy your activity and stick to the trails where hunting isn't allowed. Having said that, we also would request that hunters stay out of the parks where hunting is prohibited & obey the laws. On more than one occasion we've come across hunters illegally baiting in a park where hunting isn't allowed, hunters just off of a trail with a flashlight hunting well after dark, and some rude dudes. Mutual respect will enable all to enjoy their activities without incident.

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby ibisman » November 13th, 2013, 8:15 am

Ummm, no. Its a mountain bike trail..so I ride all year round. We have ridden ILRA for 20 years with only one bad time with a hunter.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
31,076.9 total trail miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1653.9--miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels (well now fat bike tires too..but they are still 26")
ibisman

Postby Leroi Brown » November 13th, 2013, 9:33 am

I respect hunters and the sport of hunting greatly. I respect that we share lands for our respective activities, and I'm thankful for these multi-use lands. I also stay off of multi-use lands open to hunting during the two weeks of deer firearms season out of respect for hunters.

However, the rest of the autumn season, if I'm able to get off of work early enough to squeeze in a ride before dark, I'm going to do so - while trying not to disturb any observed hunters. Same goes for weekends. Furthermore, if I hear gunfire, I'm going to make noise for my safety (whistle, ring bell) to alert the hunter that I'm also trying to use this multi-use land for my enjoyment. I don't enjoy the repeated sound of gunfire any more than you enjoy hearing our "conversations for minutes".

I believe that, like me, most mountainbikers respect hunters and try not to disrupt them. However, you need to respect why we're also out in the woods riding the beautiful trails, and understand that we're all on the same land with a common purpose.
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby GHamilton » November 13th, 2013, 9:53 am

There is no hunting at the Tree Farm. Ride hunter free.

Gordon
GHamilton

Postby Dirtdevil » November 13th, 2013, 10:37 am

GHamilton wrote:There is no hunting at the Tree Farm. Ride hunter free.

Gordon

True that, but that's one place where I caught some hunters baiting deer-in the high grassy fields of 754 heading to the lost loop. Call the authorities, but by the time they arrived, the perps were long gone!

Dirtdevil

Postby GHamilton » November 13th, 2013, 6:19 pm

Dirtdevil wrote:
GHamilton wrote:There is no hunting at the Tree Farm. Ride hunter free.

Gordon

True that, but that's one place where I caught some hunters baiting deer-in the high grassy fields of 754 heading to the lost loop. Call the authorities, but by the time they arrived, the perps were long gone!

Maybury then?

Gordon
GHamilton

Postby MIman » November 15th, 2013, 10:54 am

Leroi Brown wrote:I respect hunters and the sport of hunting greatly. I respect that we share lands for our respective activities, and I'm thankful for these multi-use lands. I also stay off of multi-use lands open to hunting during the two weeks of deer firearms season out of respect for hunters.

However, the rest of the autumn season, if I'm able to get off of work early enough to squeeze in a ride before dark, I'm going to do so - while trying not to disturb any observed hunters. Same goes for weekends. Furthermore, if I hear gunfire, I'm going to make noise for my safety (whistle, ring bell) to alert the hunter that I'm also trying to use this multi-use land for my enjoyment. I don't enjoy the repeated sound of gunfire any more than you enjoy hearing our "conversations for minutes".

I believe that, like me, most mountainbikers respect hunters and try not to disrupt them. However, you need to respect why we're also out in the woods riding the beautiful trails, and understand that we're all on the same land with a common purpose.

Making noise for your safety is perfectly fine, and probably preferred from both parties. I don't enjoy the hail of gunfire either, I'm a one and done, maybe two if its necessary but im not flinging bullets at deer. Most of the mtb I encounter are respectable, it just gets a little annoying and irritating when you have the same group ride through 3 days in a row after you know they saw you, especially since they're riding with an hour left.

I feel like for the most part we both respect each other. However, there's the occasional hunter or mountain biker who gives us all a bad rep and harms the relationship between the groups.
MIman

Postby MIman » November 15th, 2013, 10:55 am

ibisman wrote:Ummm, no. Its a mountain bike trail..so I ride all year round. We have ridden ILRA for 20 years with only one bad time with a hunter.

Not talking about ILRA...

Also the area I speak of didn't have trails through it until 2 years ago I believe. We've been hunting here years before these new trails.
MIman

Postby Chippewa93 » November 18th, 2013, 5:15 pm

Rode Murray Lake, Lost and Found loops. Lots of trees, and limbs down (to be expected). Tried to clear what I could off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
" Life is what happens when your making plans " - John Lennon
Chippewa93

Postby mmba7614 » December 6th, 2013, 6:24 am

Trail was in awesome shape last night. (Murray, lost & found)

Spied on the tornado-d zone on lost. Still a big mess. Any update on plans to fix this area, help required?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mmba7614

Postby reidabel » December 6th, 2013, 8:03 am

Talks continue with the DNR regarding making a number of features in this area. Help will definitely be required if an agreement is reached. It will be some time before any work could start, as we have to move through the proper channels. Jay, the Brighton Trail Coordinator, is working on this, and I am helping out as well. Not to you specifically, but to anybody forgetting about it, there are some big branches hung up overhead in that section, deposited by the tornado, and waiting to fall down at some point. Please keep an eye out for them, some are directly above the trail and up high and not obvious. And, of course, no additional cutting or clearing is to be done in this section. Thanks ...
reidabel

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments