Poto: Brighton

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Brighton

Postby ryanmcg » August 31st, 2013, 7:40 am

Who is "they"? I work on Brighton fairly regularly and I'd be all for it! This ain't Island Lake, man. :)
ryanmcg

Postby reidabel » August 31st, 2013, 8:01 am

reidabel wrote:Wow! This sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to build a section of up-and-overs and stunts with this sudden jackpot of already-placed good wood.

ibisman wrote:Nope, they don't like stuff like that over here

ryanmcg wrote:Who is "they"? I work on Brighton fairly regularly and I'd be all for it! This ain't Island Lake, man. :)

Glad to hear it! There would still be many miles available for those who don't enjoy riding such things. Anybody else like you over there, ryanmcg?

I've decided to change my plan to ride Yankee Springs this morning and head over to Murray Lake to check out the fallen oaks for myself. I should be at the trailhead before 10:30 am. Silver Rav4 with a Thule rack. Once on the trail, a black/green Trek ridden by an old guy wearing dark green - but ignore the picture - I won't be wearing my chainsaw helmet today! At some point I'll be climbing over the fallen oaks and taking pictures, but I'll ride the whole trail, too. Anybody is welcome to stop me and chat if they wish to discuss this ...
reidabel

Postby vette-ss » August 31st, 2013, 8:56 am

Dang Reid, I'm just seeing this. I'm actually headed your way today to ride Custer and thought I might hit Burchfield on the way home if I have anything left in me. I am game for helping out on this effort. Was planning to hit up Poto and possibly Morton Taylor tomorrow for the first time (my old deck is out there somewhere). I tend to agree with most of your posts Ibisman but think you might be a little out of line about the Brighton trail. I know you ride a lot but have you been on torn shirt lately? It ain't no Island Lake.
Last edited by vette-ss on August 31st, 2013, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vette-ss

Postby BusDriver » August 31st, 2013, 1:03 pm

For those of you curious about the fate of the lost loop trail that was damaged in the tornado last week; the DNR and the MMBA Poto Chapter are in discussion about the best course of action to take with this section of trail. There are many options on the table but the most important one is we will not lose this trail to a tornado. Please be patient as good things come to those who wait. With that said, please do not take it upon yourself to venture into this area to start clearing trees. Those of you who have been out there may not have noticed that there are a lot of widow makers hanging over your head as you look at the ground. We don't need anybody getting hurt. We will be heading out there soon to start reclaiming this section of trail and I will post up times and dates when we have them. I thank everybody for their interest in this, it just shows how passionate and dedicated Michigan Mountain bikers are.

Jay
Life Behind Bars

http://www.treefortbikes.com/

MMBA Poto Chapter Brighton Trail Coordinator
BusDriver

Postby reidabel » August 31st, 2013, 3:03 pm

Thanks, Jay, I'm encouraged by our chat today, and by the quick responses from ryanmcg and vette-ss regarding helping out. I got a good look at what's out there, and much of what's across the trail is not buildable, just treetops that will only need to be cleared. There are three or four good spots for building something, however, where large trees are across the trail. I'm hopeful that you and the DNR/MMBA will be able to come to an agreement regarding building something fun to enhance this section. I talked with a few people while I was out there, and they also expressed interest in seeing something built.

vette-ss - PM me what you thought about Burchfield, if you got out there, I'd be interested in your impression - but we should get away from the Brighton trail conditions thread to discuss it :-)
reidabel

Postby ChainMale » September 1st, 2013, 8:39 am

Being a frequent, 2x/wk, rider of Brighton Rec for the past 4yrs, I must give up a big, thank you, to the Poto Brighton trail crew, who ever you are, great job on the found loop, and the re-routes last year. Although I must say, I wish the trail was trimmed more often, No check that, I think part of the reason I love riding those two trails so much, is the lack of traffic. If getting wacked in the face with branches and pickers, or climbing over fallen trees, keeps them from being over ridden, like Island lake, or even Poto itself, then that's a small price to pay. Thanks again. "Think minimum impact"
ChainMale

Postby Steve_Balogh » September 1st, 2013, 4:39 pm

Did Murray Lake+Lost&Found loops today. Most of the trail was pretty fast as the water soaked down the sand pretty well. No downed trees, looks like the cleanup went well.
Steve_Balogh

Postby 98HooKooFreeRider » September 3rd, 2013, 7:09 am

I was thinking the very same thing about the potential opportunity getting chainsawed away without any thought given to the idea of using the fallen trees to add to the existing trail.

If busdriver wants someone to help him on this project, I'm IN. I live about 5 minutes from the trail and have built countless features like this before :)

As a side note, I rode Torn Shirt Saturday morning and besides the tree before the 5 mile marker noted earlier (which was fun to bunnyhop over) the trail was free and clear of fallen trees! Also, I had forgotten just how gnarly Torn Shirt was! What a freaking hidden gem of a trail!!!

-matt
Digging...it does a body good.
98HooKooFreeRider

Postby Bernard Smith » September 5th, 2013, 10:30 pm

Now that I just finished rock armouring the dreaded "rooty climb" at Torn Shirt, I wonder if I should of put it off until the IMBA trail school? Don't know if rock armouring is a session they would consider for Michigan. Glad I was able to regrade & armour the section before someone axed out all the roots. The big oaks were smiling at me & clapping their hands as I protected their roots :) . Also, it was totally cool that my prayers were answered for rocks to be available at the top of the hill for the armouring. Confirming my petition for the recources, a farmer about 100 years ago, thoughtfully piled up stones from the field so that today I only had to move them a short distance down hill to the job site. It's a great thing that even non believers benifit from the prayers & effort of the faithfull. Enjoy the not so dreaded climb now. I hope & pray that within a week, we will get a light soaking rain to bed in the fill dirt & expose the good line over the rocks. Oh ya, the good line is the high line on the right hand side of the trail (unless you prefer to ride over roots on the lh side).
bernie
Bernard Smith

Postby 98HooKooFreeRider » September 6th, 2013, 5:20 am

Bernard Smith wrote:Now that I just finished rock armouring the dreaded "rooty climb" at Torn Shirt, I wonder if I should of put it off until the IMBA trail school? Don't know if rock armouring is a session they would consider for Michigan. Glad I was able to regrade & armour the section before someone axed out all the roots. The big oaks were smiling at me & clapping their hands as I protected their roots :) . Also, it was totally cool that my prayers were answered for rocks to be available at the top of the hill for the armouring. Confirming my petition for the recources, a farmer about 100 years ago, thoughtfully piled up stones from the field so that today I only had to move them a short distance down hill to the job site. It's a great thing that even non believers benifit from the prayers & effort of the faithfull. Enjoy the not so dreaded climb now. I hope & pray that within a week, we will get a light soaking rain to bed in the fill dirt & expose the good line over the rocks. Oh ya, the good line is the high line on the right hand side of the trail (unless you prefer to ride over roots on the lh side).
bernie

THANK YOU for your efforts, Bernie!!

-matt
Digging...it does a body good.
98HooKooFreeRider

Postby countryboy_mike » September 6th, 2013, 6:16 am

Thanks Bernie! It was getting pretty knarly last time I rode out there. Next time you are going to do something like that give me a shout. I loved to learn how to do it. See ya tomorrow!

Mike ><>
There will be more rejoicing in heaven for one sinner who repents than for 99 rightous people who do not need to repent. Luke 15:7
2011 Motobecane 9357 Fly
2013 KHS SJ100
BYGG MTB Racing
countryboy_mike

Postby BusDriver » September 6th, 2013, 8:00 am

Put your faith in the Rock, and you'll never go wrong. Amen brother thanks for the effort.

Jay
Life Behind Bars

http://www.treefortbikes.com/

MMBA Poto Chapter Brighton Trail Coordinator
BusDriver

Postby joryde » September 7th, 2013, 10:07 am

Hey Jay:
Are you still planning to work on Lost Loop tomorrow Sun (8th)? Time? Place? I rode ML last Sunday before looking here and was really disappointed not to get to the big angled climb-over. Did some backtracking before I figured out what was going on with the closure and re-route. Was out-of-town the week before and had no idea of a tornado. Looked here when I got home and saw that the trail got whacked good. Can be there tomorrow if it's still on.
Jon
Jon
joryde

Postby ibisman » September 7th, 2013, 10:41 am

Didn't mean to equate Brighton with Island Lake. Brighton is one of my favorite "real" trails besides Highland, and Poto. Since I broke my ribs on torn shirt I don't get out there every week like I used to. Any help I can give let me know, I have a chainsaw and tools, and can help any day.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
30,677.5 total miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1254.5--miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels
ibisman

Postby reidabel » September 7th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Sounds like we have a lot of people interested in helping with the possible build of "fun log crossings" on the tornado-affected section! Was out there today checking it out, and somebody cleared the unbuildable tornado-downed debris (treetops) off of the trail. There was a lot of it, so thanks for the work. Thankfully, they left the big, buildable, logs alone, so they knew what they were doing. I hope nobody goes through there and ruins our opportunity. Turns out the entrance to the section was cleared too much, though, leaving the closed trailbed too visible, and people were actually riding the closed section! I stopped and talked to a group of three, and they are also interested in seeing something built there. Afterwards, I dragged a whole lot of the cut debris over to the entrance to block it and make the closed trailbed not really visible at all. Please don't open it up again! Go in to take a look if you must, but watch for those dangerous spots BusDriver mentioned, and don't make it easier to get into. Thanks ...
reidabel

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments