Poto: Brighton

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Brighton

Postby flamingo » August 12th, 2013, 4:23 pm

I think flamingo was talking about the trail that goes after red flags, and I was under the impression that it's where private property starts, or am I wrong?

That is exactly what I meant. Is that trail open to the public?
flamingo

Postby countryboy_mike » August 12th, 2013, 4:31 pm

From what I have been told, the trail that heads left up the hill is the official Found Loop trail and is
"legal" to ride. The other trail that is blocked by those little red flags on the right side going towards the fore mentioned climb, is off limits. Maybe Busdriver can clarify this if I am wrong. But this is my uinderstanding.
There will be more rejoicing in heaven for one sinner who repents than for 99 rightous people who do not need to repent. Luke 15:7
2011 Motobecane 9357 Fly
2013 KHS SJ100
1994 Trek 930
BYGG MTB Racing
countryboy_mike

Postby ryanmcg » August 16th, 2013, 6:25 am

How's Brighton looking lately? Haven't been up there in about a month now, but thinking about hitting it tomorrow. Usually it's overgrown and sandy this late in the summer, but I'm hoping the cool weather has helped...?
ryanmcg

Postby Hermannator » August 16th, 2013, 9:29 pm

Ryan-
Brighton is in great shape (just a few face slappers). Join us for one of the Outspokin' rides out there.
Hermannator

Postby sndmn2 » August 19th, 2013, 12:39 pm

Rode both Torn and Murry last week. Both were in fine shape. There was tree down on Torn but its no big deal. Just got off and walked over it. Did I notice a little re-route on Torn ?. It was my first time on it this year.
sndmn2

Postby edhawk » August 20th, 2013, 5:33 pm

What's going on at the trailhead/trail tonight? A dozen vendor tents. Music. A bunch of runner types in the parking lot, but I saw a bunch of bikes coming in to the lot as I was leaving just before 6 p.m.
edhawk

Postby irishpitbull » August 20th, 2013, 7:38 pm

edhawk wrote:What's going on at the trailhead/trail tonight? A dozen vendor tents. Music. A bunch of runner types in the parking lot, but I saw a bunch of bikes coming in to the lot as I was leaving just before 6 p.m.

Trail runner clinic.
14 S-Works Epic
14 Yeti ARC-C
13 CruX Expert Carbon Disc
15 Borealis Echo Big Deal
irishpitbull

Postby sndmn2 » August 20th, 2013, 8:40 pm

Running Lab in Brighton put it on. I'm not a runner but checked the shoes out for the heck of it. Then hit the trail.
sndmn2

Postby IFrider1 » August 28th, 2013, 6:23 pm

What a mess. Didn't realize a tornado had touched down last night. http://www.livingstondaily.com/interact ... y-Brighton

Mainly, lots of wash outs, a lot of branches, small - med down over all of Murray Lake. The worst is the trail that parallels Bauer Rd. with multiple Oaks down, sections over the small bridges are almost impassible. Gave up after going past the camp ground for away. DNR was out, mostly clearing the campground area 1st.
IFrider1

Postby BusDriver » August 29th, 2013, 7:50 am

I will be at the Murray Lake rustic campground today with a trailer full of tools at 9:00. If anyone would like to join me, find the tool trailer and listen for the chainsaw.
Life Behind Bars

http://www.treefortbikes.com/

MMBA Poto Chapter Brighton Trail Coordinator
BusDriver

Postby BusDriver » August 29th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Unfortunately that little tornado did quite a bit of damage to the Lost Loop trail. As of right now we had to temporarily close off one half mile of the trail due to an overwhelming amount of large oak trees crossing multiple sections of the trail. A reroute has already been cut and opened just past the 3.5 mile marker. Trail work on this section will begin Sunday, 8 September and continue for the following weeks until completed.

Please be careful on all of the Brighton trails there are a lot of sections that we did not get to today.
Life Behind Bars

BusDriver

Postby BusDriver » August 29th, 2013, 4:19 pm

IFrider1 wrote:What a mess. Didn't realize a tornado had touched down last night. http://www.livingstondaily.com/interact ... y-Brighton

Mainly, lots of wash outs, a lot of branches, small - med down over all of Murray Lake. The worst is the trail that parallels Bauer Rd. with multiple Oaks down, sections over the small bridges are almost impassible. Gave up after going past the camp ground for away. DNR was out, mostly clearing the campground area 1st.

These sections are now open and passable. Thanks for the post.
Life Behind Bars

BusDriver

Postby vette-ss » August 29th, 2013, 9:18 pm

If you need help on Sunday post up what time you will be out there. Us working folk couldn't make it out there today at 9. I might be able to squeeze out there for a bit on Sunday. I did get out on Torn Shirt this evening. There's a bit of small stuff down but only one trail blocker. It's right before the 5 mile post (my wheel sensor said 5.7 miles with the new re-route). It looked like there has been quite a bit of traffic over it, so it may have been there for a while and not from the latest storm.

Oh, and I finally met the infamous owl.
vette-ss

Postby reidabel » August 30th, 2013, 9:24 pm

BusDriver wrote:... we had to temporarily close off one half mile of the trail due to an overwhelming amount of large oak trees crossing multiple sections of the trail. A reroute has already been cut and opened just past the 3.5 mile marker. Trail work on this section will begin Sunday, 8 September and continue for the following weeks until completed.

Wow! This sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to build a section of up-and-overs and stunts with this sudden jackpot of already-placed good wood. If this had happened at my local trail, Burchfield, I'd ask that the reroute be left in place for a few months (or even a year) while a volunteer crew was trained and could complete the project. There would be no rush to re-open a half mile of trail and it would be worth the wait. The reroute would become the bypass for the new section, and a sign would inform riders of the option.

Unfortunately, I live way too far away to lead such an effort, though I would love to. If somebody local wants to bring this idea to life, I'd be happy to make a drive or two over there to help show people how to build these things, and to provide my input on the design of the features. Not that I'm any great expert and that you guys couldn't do it on your own, but I've spent hundreds of hours building such things and could definitely be helpful. I'd love to see this opportunity taken advantage of, and not just chainsawed away to get it back open as soon as possible.
reidabel

Postby ibisman » August 31st, 2013, 7:36 am

Nope, they don't like stuff like that over here. Just want a ride you know? I remember years ago, a tree fell at ILRA on the blue loop and we piled some wood in front and back and even had a bypass and you would have thought it was the end of the world. "Friends of Island Lake against obstructions" and all you know.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
31,159.9 total trail miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1741.9--miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels (well now fat bike tires too..but they are still 26")
ibisman

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments