Poto: Brighton

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Brighton

Postby 98HooKooFreeRider » May 20th, 2013, 7:38 am

Rode ML last night and I agree about the wildlife! I saw a turkey, deer at five different spots, rabbits, squirrels and an owl :) It was a GREAT ride!

Quick question, how long is the Lost Loop?

-Matt
Digging...it does a body good.
98HooKooFreeRider

Postby countryboy_mike » May 20th, 2013, 9:07 am

I believe the Lost and Found loops come out to about 3.5 miles, please correct me if I am mistaken.
There will be more rejoicing in heaven for one sinner who repents than for 99 rightous people who do not need to repent. Luke 15:7
2011 Motobecane 9357 Fly
2013 KHS SJ100
1994 Trek 930
BYGG MTB Racing
countryboy_mike

Postby 98HooKooFreeRider » May 20th, 2013, 9:10 am

countryboy_mike wrote:I believe the Lost and Found loops come out to about 3.5 miles, please correct me if I am mistaken.

At the 3.3 mile mark, I went straight onto what I assumed was the lost loop intead of diving down to the left which would have kept me on the main ML trail. There was another trail that went off to the right where I went straight, is this the Found loop?

-Matt
98HooKooFreeRider

Postby 98HooKooFreeRider » May 20th, 2013, 9:15 am

Also, I followed the trail that had pink flags stuck into the ground at certain corners and intersection points with other trail. Seems like there is a whole heap of trail I have yet to explore out there :)

-Matt
98HooKooFreeRider

Postby countryboy_mike » May 20th, 2013, 9:22 am

I'd be happy to guide ya sometime, but if your the dude that blew by me on Murray Lake, I'd might be a bit slow for your pace :) It would have be around 6:30 ish. I had already riden Tornshirt and the Lost and Found loops when you blew by.

Mike ><>
There will be more rejoicing in heaven for one sinner who repents than for 99 rightous people who do not need to repent. Luke 15:7
2011 Motobecane 9357 Fly
2013 KHS SJ100
1994 Trek 930
BYGG MTB Racing
countryboy_mike

Postby 98HooKooFreeRider » May 20th, 2013, 9:37 am

countryboy_mike wrote:I'd be happy to guide ya sometime, but if your the dude that blew by me on Murray Lake, I'd might be a bit slow for your pace :) It would have be around 6:30 ish. I had already riden Tornshirt and the Lost and Found loops when you blew by.

Mike ><>

That would be great! And I'm sure you wouldn't slow me down one bit haha. I didn't get to the trail until 7:30 but it might have been my buddy. Where they riding an AM dual suspension bike with flat pedals?

-Matt
98HooKooFreeRider

Postby vette-ss » May 20th, 2013, 9:43 am

98HooKooFreeRider wrote:
countryboy_mike wrote:I believe the Lost and Found loops come out to about 3.5 miles, please correct me if I am mistaken.

At the 3.3 mile mark, I went straight onto what I assumed was the lost loop intead of diving down to the left which would have kept me on the main ML trail. There was another trail that went off to the right where I went straight, is this the Found loop?

-Matt

To me that sounds like the entrance to the "found" loop. The entrance to "lost" loop is the intersection at the bench near the campground (before the bridge). When you go straight at 3.3 you are entering the new part that was opened up last year, informally dubbed as "found". My computer says Murray alone is 7.8 miles and the lost and found loop adds 3.8 miles. It sounds like you probably rode all of it.
vette-ss

Postby 98HooKooFreeRider » May 20th, 2013, 9:50 am

vette-ss wrote:
98HooKooFreeRider wrote:

-Matt

To me that sounds like the entrance to the "found" loop. The entrance to "lost" loop is the intersection at the bench near the campground (before the bridge). When you go straight at 3.3 you are entering the new part that was opened up last year, informally dubbed as "found". My computer says Murray alone is 7.8 miles and the lost and found loop adds 3.8 miles. It sounds like you probably rode all of it.

Right on! What's a decent time for all of the loops combined? I came in the back side before the mile 7 marker as my sub backs up to Cunningham Lake rd, so keep in mind I looped back in at the intersection marked as 1.8 Miles. This was my first real ride on an XC bike in YEARS and i finished the main loop plus that extra Lost and Found loops in just under 48 minutes. Felt AMAZING to have the wind in my face and trees brushing my shoulders leaning into the corners again :)

-Matt
98HooKooFreeRider

Postby vette-ss » May 26th, 2013, 10:25 am

Just a friendly reminder for everyone to keep aware now that the trails are thickening up. Brighton is in great shape but there are a lot of blind corners. I found out the hard way as I encountered a hiker very near the end of Murray as you are getting back to the road on the lower part. I was at mile 17 so I was already feeling the pain of TS, Lost, Found, etc. It was like the guy jumped out from behind a tree, next thing I know I'm flying and slammed to the ground. Fortunately I didn't hit him or land in any rocks or trees. But I had to walk the bike out as the bars were all jacked. So....heads up! Also had close encounter with a couple deer, but not as close as Mr. Hiker.
vette-ss

Postby countryboy_mike » May 26th, 2013, 4:05 pm

I know its a "multi-use" trail, but heaven forbib the hikers use the HIKING trail. That really *beep* me off. The would be heading straight to the DNR if we were riding on the HIKING trail and no the MTB trail.
2011 Motobecane 9357 Fly
2013 KHS SJ100
1994 Trek 930
BYGG MTB Racing
countryboy_mike

Postby yamangold » May 26th, 2013, 5:36 pm

countryboy_mike wrote:I know its a "multi-use" trail, but heaven forbib the hikers use the HIKING trail. That really *beep* me off. The would be heading straight to the DNR if we were riding on the HIKING trail and no the MTB trail.

Remember, all trails are open to hiking!
yamangold

Postby countryboy_mike » May 26th, 2013, 6:25 pm

I understand the fact that they are all open to hiking, but they do have a designated trail at that location.
2011 Motobecane 9357 Fly
2013 KHS SJ100
1994 Trek 930
BYGG MTB Racing
countryboy_mike

Postby vette-ss » May 26th, 2013, 10:26 pm

countryboy_mike wrote:I understand the fact that they are all open to hiking, but they do have a designated trail at that location.

Yeah, it stinks, but thats life and we all have to share. Its like the battles we have on the lake. Fisherman vs slalom skiers. There's a whole lake to fish on but sometimes they like to drop anchor and fish right in the middle of the ski course, the only place on the lake designated to ski. They have their right to fish just as much as we do to pull alongside with the stereo blasting for the fish to enjoy. Multi-use is multi-use, just be careful out there. Shoulder and back are a little stiff today.
vette-ss

Postby ryanmcg » May 27th, 2013, 6:21 am

It's our job to maintain the trails, and it's our goal to let that fact be known. When I encounter unfriendly hikers, I like to point out to them that "I built this trail", "I trimmed this whole section for you just last week", or "My IMBA membership dues went toward building this trail." After that, all you need is a "Have a nice day!" and ride on.
ryanmcg

Postby BusDriver » May 27th, 2013, 7:18 am

ryanmcg wrote:It's our job to maintain the trails, and it's our goal to let that fact be known. When I encounter unfriendly hikers, I like to point out to them that "I built this trail", "I trimmed this whole section for you just last week", or "My IMBA membership dues went toward building this trail." After that, all you need is a "Have a nice day!" and ride on.

Spoken like a true trail builder. Amen brother.
Life Behind Bars

http://www.treefortbikes.com/

MMBA Poto Chapter Brighton Trail Coordinator
BusDriver

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments