Poto: Brighton

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Brighton

Postby santaclausersolo » January 4th, 2017, 9:54 am

Gotrikate wrote:I'm visiting this trail from out of town next Saturday. Since the most commended opportunity on this trail is signage, can anyone send me the GPS file of the trail? I don't want to get lost in the snow. Looking to get in about 20ish miles. Thanks!

The signage is just fine. Exit the parking lot by the *beep*, take a left early to hit the appleton loop (at the sign), or go to the next split and go left to ride murray or right to ride Torn shirt (again, at the sign).

The only "somewhat" confusing part is trying to find the ralph loop, otherwise just follow the trail.

If you ride appleton, murray and Torn Shirt combined you'll be close to 20 miles (I think it's 18.5 or something, but they added to torn shirt since I last rode them all, so that might get you a full 20 now with out having to do anything twice or find the ralph loop (which could prove tricky in the winter unless it's being traveled frequently)
santaclausersolo

Postby c0nsumer » January 4th, 2017, 10:21 am

santaclausersolo wrote:
Gotrikate wrote:I'm visiting this trail from out of town next Saturday. Since the most commended opportunity on this trail is signage, can anyone send me the GPS file of the trail? I don't want to get lost in the snow. Looking to get in about 20ish miles. Thanks!

The signage is just fine. Exit the parking lot by the *beep*, take a left early to hit the appleton loop (at the sign), or go to the next split and go left to ride murray or right to ride Torn shirt (again, at the sign).

The only "somewhat" confusing part is trying to find the ralph loop, otherwise just follow the trail.

If you ride appleton, murray and Torn Shirt combined you'll be close to 20 miles (I think it's 18.5 or something, but they added to torn shirt since I last rode them all, so that might get you a full 20 now with out having to do anything twice or find the ralph loop (which could prove tricky in the winter unless it's being traveled frequently)

Agreed, finding the starts of the trail works well. For me it's all the splits once on Murray Lake which get confusing. Even some of the signed ones give no solid indication of which way one should go to ride most of the trail.

(Torn Short is not confusing at all.)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby DynoDon » January 4th, 2017, 10:38 am

The confusion I've seen at Brighton has come from the addition/extension of the loops, the maps/signage available sure don't keep up with the changes, but from word of mouth, which seems to be the best way to keep up. Ralph was a trail builder, he passed away after he built the Ralph loop, so it was named after him, he did a lot of great work on all the trials at Brighton, RIP Ralph. The Ralph Loop has now been approved from what I've read on this forum in the past, Signage always takes time to catch up with the work at Brighton, so confusion happens. Getting lost is part of figuring out the trail system for me, but I don't mind, its all good trails.

Appleton (beginners loop) 2 miles.
Torn Shirt (Expert loop) 8 miles.
Murray Lake, with Ralph loop, (intermediate loop) 12 miles.
22 total last time I checked.
These are just my opinions from my experiences at Brighton, of course I'm wrong, but maybe less confused then most.
2009 Specialized Roubaix
2011 Specialized Epic, 2016 Overhauled w/Sram Eagle 12
2012 Workcycle, Dutch Bike, handmade in Amsterdam
2014 Specialized Fat Boy
2017 Specialized Sequoia Elite
DynoDon

Postby mmba7614 » January 4th, 2017, 11:30 am

It may be a little confusing, but it is basically a stacked loop. Stay right.
mmba7614

Postby c0nsumer » January 4th, 2017, 1:22 pm

mmba7614 wrote:It may be a little confusing, but it is basically a stacked loop. Stay right.

...except for the times that doing so takes you out to roads.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby WICCMB » January 4th, 2017, 4:33 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
mmba7614 wrote:It may be a little confusing, but it is basically a stacked loop. Stay right.

...except for the times that doing so takes you out to roads.

And that one spot where doing so cuts off a big hunk of the Murray Lake Loop....
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby mmba7614 » January 4th, 2017, 6:30 pm

WICCMB wrote:
And that one spot where doing so cuts off a big hunk of the Murray Lake Loop....

Ugh...forgot about that spot. Used to not be an issue ... was always a shortcut, but obviously not the 'main' route until a race used that bypass for some reason ...

When you get to the last decision point, turn left, lol.
He's got 616 problems and a ban ain't 1!
mmba7614

Postby c0nsumer » January 4th, 2017, 6:40 pm

...and this is why I prefer to have one set of signage on each trail for the main route, then other optional stuff marked. ;)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer

Postby BigfootDenny » January 5th, 2017, 10:23 am

DynoDon wrote:
Appleton (beginners loop) 2 miles.
Torn Shirt (Expert loop) 8 miles.
Murray Lake, with Ralph loop, (intermediate loop) 12 miles.
22 total last time I checked.
These are just my opinions from my experiences at Brighton, of course I'm wrong, but maybe less confused then most.

DynoDon is pretty darned close with these listed mileages if doing the whole enchilada as one loop.

New signage is supposedly in progress to include Appleton,Ralph's Loop,Found loop,and new Torn Shirt Extensions, FWIW.
BigfootDenny

Postby Chippewa93 » January 6th, 2017, 6:40 am

What is the Ralph loop. Ride all the time out there and have never heard that name dropped. I've heard the Lost Loop and Found Loop, but never Ralph

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
" Life is what happens when your making plans " - John Lennon
Chippewa93

Postby countryboy_mike » January 6th, 2017, 7:33 am

The Ralph loop is an extention of the Found Loop. When you first get onto the Found loop at the bottom of the first climb you take the right fork in the trail. It used to be flagged off. That winds through a sweet little ridge between Bauer Rd and the rest of the Found Loop. If you navigate it properly, it will kick you onto the that same hill on Found about half way up. Hope this helps. We'll be out there tomorrow at 1:00 for a shop ride if your interested (Hometown Bikes).
There will be more rejoicing in heaven for one sinner who repents than for 99 rightous people who do not need to repent. Luke 15:7
2015 Motobecane Ti Fly 29er custom build
2017 Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike
2013 KHS SJ100
POTOMBA Chapter
Team Hometown
countryboy_mike

Postby WICCMB » January 6th, 2017, 9:38 am

Ralph Loop used to be referred to as the "What Loop", but it was renamed after the death of a gentleman named Ralph who used to do a lot of work on the Brighton mtb trails. My understanding is that he died after a battle with cancer. So tip your helmet to Ralph when you ride this loop. :D
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby Gotrikate » January 7th, 2017, 12:25 am

Thanks all. Looks like a local shop has a ride there this weekend so I'm going to tag along with them.
Gotrikate

Postby b_b » January 7th, 2017, 6:31 pm

Having 3 names for that smaller area is confusing if you're not familiar with the trail history.
b_b

Postby poirier » January 9th, 2017, 3:43 pm

b_b wrote:Having 3 names for that smaller area is confusing if you're not familiar with the trail history.

The dirt looks the same no matter what you call it. Not confusing at all.
World's Best Dad Bod

This forum is to be used for entertainment purposes only
poirier

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions