Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby c0nsumer » May 30th, 2012, 2:45 pm

cramer wrote:
Slimm wrote:begining of section one, after the creek, after the sharp left back onto the 'old' trail there is a low hanging tree or branch that just looks like a face slapper until you try to duck under it and get cracked in the skull. beware

That branch got me again today, this time in the shoulder. Didn't want to stop and fix it as I was timing myself for the first time out there in many years. Ended up at 33:15 going at a brisk pace most of time and cranking it up to race speed for the last 3 miles or so. Not bad for a 43 year old 200 pound man on a one speeder with a gut full of Long John Silvers lunch! :D

With or without side crispies?
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby cramer » May 30th, 2012, 3:09 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
cramer wrote:
Slimm wrote:begining of section one, after the creek, after the sharp left back onto the 'old' trail there is a low hanging tree or branch that just looks like a face slapper until you try to duck under it and get cracked in the skull. beware

That branch got me again today, this time in the shoulder. Didn't want to stop and fix it as I was timing myself for the first time out there in many years. Ended up at 33:15 going at a brisk pace most of time and cranking it up to race speed for the last 3 miles or so. Not bad for a 43 year old 200 pound man on a one speeder with a gut full of Long John Silvers lunch! :D

Funny you mention that because while I was eating I was remembering that we used to buy a tray of those things for 10 cents when I was a kid. There was a big pile of them in my basket today but I didn't eat them. That place is nasty, I can't explain why I eat there every now and then.
cramer

Postby gtrowbridge » May 30th, 2012, 3:25 pm

cramer wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:
cramer wrote:

Funny you mention that because while I was eating I was remembering that we used to buy a tray of those things for 10 cents when I was a kid. There was a big pile of them in my basket today but I didn't eat them. That place is nasty, I can't explain why I eat there every now and then.

Simple. Grease and oil lubricates the joints. You can't just go around eating chain lube.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby c0nsumer » May 30th, 2012, 3:29 pm

cramer wrote:That place is nasty, I can't explain why I eat there every now and then.

I suspect it's for the same reason why I occasionally (once or twice a month) find myself getting a Cod Snack and broasted mushrooms from Chicken Shack. I almost always regret it after eating it.

At least I now know to steer away from Taco Bell.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby cramer » May 31st, 2012, 7:27 am

rwright wrote:a quick snapshot from strava.... nobody under 30 mins and some of these guys are pretty fast.

http://www.strava.com/segments/cannonsburg-sga-1119456

Someone must have seen this and decided to change that. There is now a time under 30 posted.
cramer

Postby ReidRules18 » May 31st, 2012, 8:22 am

I'm so glad I don't have a Strava! I've got my own PR and I'll keep it that way.

The trail was in great shape yesterday (Wed 5/30), someone must have taken care of that branch as I didn't run into it.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby jlod » July 9th, 2012, 7:11 am

Did anybody else notice the three piles of horse droppings on the 2nd section? It didn't look like any damage from the hoofs though.
jlod

Postby Angrypanda » July 15th, 2012, 8:10 pm

I didn't see any of those horse droppings when I rode today, but I may have just missed them.

This was my first time here in 8 years so I don't really know the layout anymore, but everything seemed fine. The only thing I took note of is a large tree that fell across the path. It is very noticeable on an open straight section though, so unless someone is not paying any attention there's no way it would be a problem.
Angrypanda

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » July 15th, 2012, 10:57 pm

I noticed the horse apples when I was there last week. This is still one of my favorite trails though. Why don't they have any races here? Too many road crossings?
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby Mike_D » July 15th, 2012, 11:19 pm

LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:I noticed the horse apples when I was there last week. This is still one of my favorite trails though. Why don't they have any races here? Too many road crossings?

From what I was told years ago when I asked the same question is that it is primarily a hunting/game area, not a recreation area like Yankee Springs.
Mike_D

Postby Scotty » July 17th, 2012, 11:58 am

there are locals that occasionally ride their horses there. Why they'd want to navigate the single track AND potential run ins with mtbrs I have no idea.

I've always thought it would be a good idea to build the occasional obstacle into the trail that would discourage equestrians from trail poaching. Like some kind of impossible to ride around narrow point, or downing trees that are high enough to walk or ride a bike under but a pain to ride a horse under. Nothing dangerous, just inconvenient if you're using the wrong type of transportation.

I've seen it all on that trail over the years. Horses, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, people digging up trees near the trail (stealing), poachers (out of season hunting), people attempting to dump garbage. One time at the end of section 2 i came round a corner to see a guy pointing a shotgun at my head. He was getting ready to fire down the trail at a tree! Once I chased several guys on motorcycles out of section two. They were from a home adjacent to the property and tried to hide from me in their garage.
Scotty

Postby cramer » July 17th, 2012, 2:28 pm

Just got back from riding the trail, saw two trees down across the trail.

1st section after that small downhill, big one with lots of branches.

4th section between 1/4 and 1/2 mile in, dead tree.
cramer

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » July 17th, 2012, 7:40 pm

Scotty wrote:I've always thought it would be a good idea to build the occasional obstacle into the trail that would discourage equestrians from trail poaching. Like some kind of impossible to ride around narrow point, or downing trees that are high enough to walk or ride a bike under but a pain to ride a horse under. Nothing dangerous, just inconvenient if you're using the wrong type of transportation.

I'm with ya on this.

Once I chased several guys on motorcycles out of section two.

Wow, you must be FAST!
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby Scotty » July 20th, 2012, 8:26 am

LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:Wow, you must be FAST!

should have said "followed" :lol:
Scotty

Postby Bigtymer » July 24th, 2012, 10:14 am

Scotty wrote:there are locals that occasionally ride their horses there. Why they'd want to navigate the single track AND potential run ins with mtbrs I have no idea.

I've always thought it would be a good idea to build the occasional obstacle into the trail that would discourage equestrians from trail poaching. Like some kind of impossible to ride around narrow point, or downing trees that are high enough to walk or ride a bike under but a pain to ride a horse under. Nothing dangerous, just inconvenient if you're using the wrong type of transportation.

I've seen it all on that trail over the years. Horses, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, people digging up trees near the trail (stealing), poachers (out of season hunting), people attempting to dump garbage. One time at the end of section 2 i came round a corner to see a guy pointing a shotgun at my head. He was getting ready to fire down the trail at a tree! Once I chased several guys on motorcycles out of section two. They were from a home adjacent to the property and tried to hide from me in their garage.

Scotty, a gate/fence in spots were only mtn bikers can get through would work. I've seen it done out here in Colorado to keep horses out, but the trail being at a state game area might be difficult to get approved. I'm really not sure, just thought I would throw that idea out there. I hope you guys are enjoying the trails this summer, I miss them:(
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions