Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby Mike_D » April 12th, 2013, 3:32 pm

shoe wrote:Two things:
There is a set of approx 10 or 12 keys, including a Jeep key, hanging on a nail at the kiosk for whoever lost them.

The trail head parking lot was taped off as a crime scene today. The police were there and paying attention to a small white car in the parking lot. FWIW.

I bet the pizza cutter police busted him for riding muddy trails :lol:
Mike_D

Postby TeamTroll » April 16th, 2013, 10:04 am

How are the trails? I am guessing they are bad wet.
TeamTroll

Postby shoe » April 16th, 2013, 6:41 pm

I haven't been on the trail itself but certainly you are right, they're full of puddles. They are being ridden though.
The lost set of keys is still hanging there at the kiosk.
"For every man who is chopping at the roots there are a thousand who are swinging at the leaves"
-Henry David Thoreau
shoe

Postby TeamTroll » April 22nd, 2013, 8:09 am

Anyone know how the SGA trails are?
TeamTroll

Postby Mountain_Biking » April 28th, 2013, 11:28 pm

Rode on Friday and the trails were near perfect. There is a huge mud hole right at the beginning and the third section has some mud holes. People are riding around the holes to avoid getting their bike dirty, thus the trail is getting wider in those area. I rode through the mud and one part it was pretty freaking deep. I also noticed there are quite a few spots where people cut the corner to avoid bumps, tree roots or anything else that requires effort.
Mountain_Biking

Postby talking head » May 8th, 2013, 8:04 pm

Today I became a mountain biker. I saw the sign and went left . Made my day, month, and year. Thanks to whoever put that up. Will you go to the left? 8)
talking head

Postby Bigtymer » May 9th, 2013, 6:18 am

talking head wrote:Today I became a mountain biker. I saw the sign and went left . Made my day, month, and year. Thanks to whoever put that up. Will you go to the left? 8)

Blair Witch;)
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby 3M TA3 » May 10th, 2013, 6:05 am

yea, glad to know i am still a mountain biker
3M TA3

Postby bbender785 » June 7th, 2013, 8:18 am

rode last night. there are some wet spots, and alot of the corners were pretty slick (but it had drizzled the better part of the day). overall in pretty good shape. the large downed tree in the fourth section has been tended to and is passable, and it looks pretty cool actually! well done. we stopped for a photo.
AIRBORNE Guardian
bbender785

Postby Mike_D » June 7th, 2013, 8:27 am

bbender785 wrote:rode last night. there are some wet spots, and alot of the corners were pretty slick (but it had drizzled the better part of the day).....

Perhaps you should have ridden a trail that dries out quicker like the ski area or Yankee Springs rather than ride a trail that is known to be muddy right after a rain..... Is your name "Mud"? :roll:
Mike_D

Postby bbender785 » June 7th, 2013, 9:52 am

Mike_D wrote:Perhaps you should have ridden a trail that dries out quicker like the ski area or Yankee Springs rather than ride a trail that is known to be muddy right after a rain..... Is your name "Mud"? :roll:

was my first time there, and i rode there on the suggestion from a friend that this trail has similar rain handling capability to the ski area and yankee, despite my inclination being to stick with the ski area. and my name is Brandon, thanks for asking though.
AIRBORNE Guardian
bbender785

Postby Mike_D » June 7th, 2013, 10:08 am

bbender785 wrote:....and my name is Brandon, thanks for asking though.

That part was a joke if you have seen any signs at trailheads to avoid riding wet trails, it asks "Is your name Mud" :D

Yeah typically you need to avoid Luton, Merrell, and the game area right after a rain. We usually give it a day to dry out. I always hit the ski area, Yankee, or do a road ride in conditions like yesterday. Granted not everyone follows this advice but 1 less pizza cutter on the trail helps....

Thanks!
Mike_D

Postby bbender785 » June 7th, 2013, 10:17 am

yeah we got going and all was well and i thought it was going to be a totally dry ride. there was definitely some remorse once we were into it a ways though. i'm all about following the rules/guidelines but i guess i was glad to experience it post-rain myself for future reference (since the info i was given didn't turn out to be too accurate :lol: )
AIRBORNE Guardian
bbender785

Postby AnnArbor28 » June 19th, 2013, 7:28 am

Can someone please provide a description of this trail?

Or could you recommend a trail in the area?

I'll be at Founders Fest on Saturday 6/22 and am looking for a good hangover ride on Sunday. A loop that's not too slow or tight. Something between 6-10 miles with moderate climbs, fast sections, log piles/jumps, high banked turns, and a minimum of sand is preferred. Well marked is always a plus.

Thanks!
AnnArbor28

Postby giantone » June 19th, 2013, 7:47 am

AnnArbor28 wrote:Can someone please provide a description of this trail?

Or could you recommend a trail in the area?

I'll be at Founders Fest on Saturday 6/22 and am looking for a good hangover ride on Sunday. A loop that's not too slow or tight. Something between 6-10 miles with moderate climbs, fast sections, log piles/jumps, high banked turns, and a minimum of sand is preferred. Well marked is always a plus.

Thanks!

Your description fits the bill minus the jumps. Merrill might be more up your alley if you're looking for machine built flow trail to ride.
giantone

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments