Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » May 10th, 2012, 11:15 pm

I usually get more like 8 miles on my ride. I'm going tomorrow so I'll have to see what mileage I get.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk 2
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby trout_smith » May 11th, 2012, 7:28 am

LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:I usually get more like 8 miles on my ride. I'm going tomorrow so I'll have to see what mileage I get.

I'm not sure if my computer is set up 100% accurate, but I got 8.07 and 8.08 on my last 2 rides.
http://www.mtb4u.com

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Postby Mike_D » May 11th, 2012, 7:34 am

trout_smith wrote:
LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:I usually get more like 8 miles on my ride. I'm going tomorrow so I'll have to see what mileage I get.

I'm not sure if my computer is set up 100% accurate, but I got 8.07 and 8.08 on my last 2 rides.

I get around 8 miles or a tad under on my computer.
Mike_D

Postby cramer » May 11th, 2012, 7:53 am

trout_smith wrote:
rwright wrote:a quick snapshot from strava.... nobody under 30 mins and some of these guys are pretty fast.

http://www.strava.com/segments/cannonsburg-sga-1119456

Yah. 16 mph is top pro speed.

I don't know that the top pros have ever raced there, being a state game area. If you want to compare some times with local trails, the #5 guy on that list of GPS times posted was 44th at Yankee a couple of weeks ago in the Expert Men 40-50 category. I'm fairly confident that the top racers that beat him by 25 minutes for two laps could shave 3 and a half minutes off his EV time. For the record, I never stated that I was doing 30 minute laps, I said it's a good round number to shoot for. I also said that there were people that could finish under 30, but "not many" which I thought was pretty clear that I meant the top racers (which I'm obviously NOT). I have finished two laps in one hour there but it was nearly a decade ago and the trail was shorter / faster then. I haven't timed myself in many years so I don't really know where I'm at now.
cramer

Postby Bigtymer » May 11th, 2012, 3:12 pm

Four more weeks and I get to ride In Michigan for the first time in two years:) I think I'll do a Blair Witch trail ride as well :wink:
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » May 11th, 2012, 5:54 pm

I'd like to see somebody do it in under 30 min with all the new reroutes, not saying its not possible but dont tell the guy to shoot for a time that only the most elite riders with $8000 bikes are capable of doing. Id go for 33- 34 minutes thats a good time that most people cant even do.
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby cramer » May 11th, 2012, 8:25 pm

G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:I'd like to see somebody do it in under 30 min with all the new reroutes, not saying its not possible but dont tell the guy to shoot for a time that only the most elite riders with $8000 bikes are capable of doing. Id go for 33- 34 minutes thats a good time that most people cant even do.

Shooting for 33 or 34 is a good idea for someone that's doing 36-37 now, not really a good goal for someone already doing 33-34 and maybe a bit ambitious for someone doing 45 now, it's all subjective. I was trying to give an idea of what the really fast guys can do which is why I said "not many" are faster than 30. I stand by my assertion that the fast guys can still do it under 30 by the simple fact that I'm not that far off and I'm just a sport class level rider. I've ridden with some of those elite level guys, they ride away from me like I'm standing still.
cramer

Postby TooFast46 » May 11th, 2012, 9:51 pm

I rode a 42 minute lap tonight. However it was after riding a complete lap at Ski Area, then connecting on the second lap. I'm willing to accept that was pretty good for me because my legs were on fire.
TooFast46

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » May 12th, 2012, 12:14 am

There is a tree down on the trail. I think the best way to get to it would be to go in the trail north (against bike traffic) where the trail opens onto 4-mile rd. I'd estimate it to be 10" diameter.

LuckyCharm4x4

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » May 12th, 2012, 10:35 pm

LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:There is a tree down on the trail. I think the best way to get to it would be to go in the trail north (against bike traffic) where the trail opens onto 4-mile rd. I'd estimate it to be 10" diameter.

Wow... that was fast!

LuckyCharm4x4

Postby cramer » May 23rd, 2012, 10:57 am

On the 4th section, where it opens up into that field area, there is a downed tree that's been there a while I think but it's right on the outer edge of a turn and it's now kind of covered in grass. Saw a guy slam into it full speed with his big toe at the Tri-Fecta and it took him right off his bike and maybe busted up his toe. It got me thinking it's kind of dangerous to have something like that hidden from view the way it is.

Lots of areas still need face slappers trimmed too but otherwise trail is in great shape.
cramer

Postby Slimm » May 29th, 2012, 9:04 am

begining of section one, after the creek, after the sharp left back onto the 'old' trail there is a low hanging tree or branch that just looks like a face slapper until you try to duck under it and get cracked in the skull. beware
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby cramer » May 30th, 2012, 2:09 pm

Slimm wrote:begining of section one, after the creek, after the sharp left back onto the 'old' trail there is a low hanging tree or branch that just looks like a face slapper until you try to duck under it and get cracked in the skull. beware

That branch got me again today, this time in the shoulder. Didn't want to stop and fix it as I was timing myself for the first time out there in many years. Ended up at 33:15 going at a brisk pace most of time and cranking it up to race speed for the last 3 miles or so. Not bad for a 43 year old 200 pound man on a one speeder with a gut full of Long John Silvers lunch! :D
cramer

Postby gtrowbridge » May 30th, 2012, 2:28 pm

cramer wrote:
Slimm wrote:begining of section one, after the creek, after the sharp left back onto the 'old' trail there is a low hanging tree or branch that just looks like a face slapper until you try to duck under it and get cracked in the skull. beware

That branch got me again today, this time in the shoulder. Didn't want to stop and fix it as I was timing myself for the first time out there in many years. Ended up at 33:15 going at a brisk pace most of time and cranking it up to race speed for the last 3 miles or so. Not bad for a 43 year old 200 pound man on a one speeder with a gut full of Long John Silvers lunch! :D

Change it up with some Taco Bell next time and see how you do. :lol:
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby cramer » May 30th, 2012, 2:30 pm

gtrowbridge wrote:
cramer wrote:

Change it up with some Taco Bell next time and see how you do. :lol:

I wouldn't dare try that except on a closed course, someone might get hurt.
cramer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions