Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby cramer » February 21st, 2013, 3:23 pm

Rode it today. It's packed nice and ready to ride. A bit bumpy from frozen foot prints and a few icy spots but nothing bad. Parking lots are the most technically challenging parts of the trail.
cramer

Postby cramer » March 12th, 2013, 2:55 pm

Bumps are gone but it's a little more icy / slippery and somewhat challenging to ride because of the snow being deeper and softer on either side of the main trail tread. Probably better to ride it in the AM when it's frozen as I imagine the ice gets pretty slippery as it warms up and gets wet. Dirt roads were soft and muddy.
cramer

Postby Mike_D » March 12th, 2013, 3:10 pm

cramer wrote:Dirt roads were soft and muddy.

Like what the Barry course is/will be like :roll:
Mike_D

Postby cramer » March 12th, 2013, 7:31 pm

mntn-biker wrote:
cramer wrote:Dirt roads were soft and muddy.

Like what the Barry course is/will be like :roll:

Nah... those roads will be iced over with huge frozen ruts.

Almost forgot to mention, saw evidence that a 4 wheeled ATV jumped on the trail at 5 mile shortcut and rode the trail to Dursum. Hopefully an isolated thing and not something that will turn into a big problem when the snow melts.
cramer

Postby ReidRules18 » March 14th, 2013, 11:56 am

Does it look like the trail will be rideable this weekend? I haven't been out to check on it, but I take it the ground is still frozen? If it rains on Friday 3-15 I'll be staying off and not even visiting to see if it is doable.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby cramer » March 14th, 2013, 2:36 pm

ReidRules18 wrote:Does it look like the trail will be rideable this weekend? I haven't been out to check on it, but I take it the ground is still frozen? If it rains on Friday 3-15 I'll be staying off and not even visiting to see if it is doable.

I checked it out again today while riding some back roads. Huge difference from just a couple of days ago. The ice layer is now turning to slush and some bare ground is starting to peak out so I didn't ride it. My guess is this weekend it will not be good for riding unless you can catch it early in the morning (if frozen) and with some studded tires as I suspect it will be really icy from everything melting right now.
cramer

Postby ReidRules18 » March 14th, 2013, 7:42 pm

cramer wrote:
ReidRules18 wrote:Does it look like the trail will be rideable this weekend? I haven't been out to check on it, but I take it the ground is still frozen? If it rains on Friday 3-15 I'll be staying off and not even visiting to see if it is doable.

I checked it out again today while riding some back roads. Huge difference from just a couple of days ago. The ice layer is now turning to slush and some bare ground is starting to peak out so I didn't ride it. My guess is this weekend it will not be good for riding unless you can catch it early in the morning (if frozen) and with some studded tires as I suspect it will be really icy from everything melting right now.

Excellent Cramer thanks for the update. I'll be staying off!
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby cramer » March 25th, 2013, 7:50 am

More evidence of that 4 wheeled vehicle driving back there on the trails. This time I saw tracks heading into the 3rd section off 4 mile road. I followed tracks in the dirt / snow on 4 mile roads and I have an idea which house they're coming from now, but not 100% sure. Keep a look out near the 4 mile / Dursam intersection for activity if you're riding in the area.
cramer

Postby Mike_D » March 25th, 2013, 8:28 am

cramer wrote:More evidence of that 4 wheeled vehicle driving back there on the trails. This time I saw tracks heading into the 3rd section off 4 mile road. I followed tracks in the dirt / snow on 4 mile roads and I have an idea which house they're coming from now, but not 100% sure. Keep a look out near the 4 mile / Dursam intersection for activity if you're riding in the area.

Maybe we should sprinkle some Founder's tacks on each side of the singletrack about as wide as that 4wheeler to fix the problem :wink:
Mike_D

Postby zuver » March 27th, 2013, 8:23 pm

Thanks for the recon CRAMER P.I. Rick and TC will be in the chopper...eye in the sky baby. Higgins will be on the ground with Zeus and Apollo. We need to keep the motorized rigs off the trail.

Looking forward to getting on the trail
zuver

Postby Eric C » April 1st, 2013, 9:09 am

I rode the frozen mud and slush first light this morning on my fat bike, lots of ruts left by others ridding this past weekend. Trail will still be quite muddy after rest of snow thaws. Fun to ride it frozen though, should be a possibility next couple mornings.
Eric C

Postby DrNick2006 » April 1st, 2013, 2:28 pm

Too Muddy today didn't ride
DrNick2006

Postby browni » April 3rd, 2013, 1:37 pm

I too have seen the 4 wheeler tracks, same area 4 mile. On the hunt as well.
browni

Postby cramer » April 5th, 2013, 10:41 am

Still thaw conditions, needs another week.
cramer

Postby shoe » April 12th, 2013, 3:28 pm

Two things:
There is a set of approx 10 or 12 keys, including a Jeep key, hanging on a nail at the kiosk for whoever lost them.

The trail head parking lot was taped off as a crime scene today. The police were there and paying attention to a small white car in the parking lot. FWIW.
"For every man who is chopping at the roots there are a thousand who are swinging at the leaves"
-Henry David Thoreau
shoe

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments