Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » August 3rd, 2012, 10:29 pm

Scotty wrote:
G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote: The very fast riders have created so many bypasses that I cant even count them all .

that's a silly statement.

"faster" and more accomplished riders don't typically build or create ride arounds. My experience at that trail over the past 20 years is that the people creating ride arounds are "weekend warrior" types and novice riders. I've run into people doing just that many times on that trail. Several times I've gotten in shouting matches with people. In each occurance they were slower riders, mostly people "out of the know" with the local MMBA chapter and the history of the trail.

Having known most of the "faster" riders in the area over the years, I think it's safe to say that they often take the more difficult lines (not those that widen the trail) because those harder lines are the faster lines (if you can ride them).

Sorry i put the wrong emoticon there, supposed to be the wink :wink: . Also thought it was kind of obvious, hence your first sentence. Sounds like I unintentionally hit a nerve. But I do agree with what you said for the most part
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby yamaha13 » August 4th, 2012, 4:41 am

I see one person always seems to be complaining about how bad the trails in the area are, how bad MMBA maintains the trails in the area, if the trails are so terrible to ride I suggest you find a new hobby like dodging traffic on 28th street while blind-folded. Or you can pay your dues show up to an MMBA meeting and talk with real people about issues you have and maybe get involved instead of always ranting behind a website page.
yamaha13

Postby kms662 » August 4th, 2012, 10:12 am

Trees still down in sections 2 & 3 as described earlier. The one in section 2 needs a chainsaw. The one in section 3 already has a reroute going around it but it's at the bottom of a fast downhill and if you're not paying attention...well... :twisted:
kms662

Postby Scotty » August 6th, 2012, 10:26 am

thank you to whomever did the chain saw work out there!
Scotty

Postby Scotty » August 8th, 2012, 3:31 pm

rode last night...

I assume the reroute/ride around of the first tree on the rooty climb (sect 2) was an unapproved bandit "fix". somebody had to drag all those logs and brush out of the way to create that 50ft span of future erosion, just to avoid 5 or 6 roots. Ground is so loose there it's not sustainable for much longer. thought several times about dragging all the logs back over it, but i've done that so often out there (only to find everything moved the next day) that I don't bother anymore.

as much as I enjoy riding up all the roots on that climb, the prospect of riding over a root or two seems to inspire trail widening by others. I'm wondering if it would make more sense to provide an easy ride around at the top of the long downhill so people without the skills or ballz to ride uphill for more than 30 seconds can just take a pass and not bother going to the bottom to begin with? that way the people that actually care can ride the rough stuff without it getting torn to pieces. I volunteer to help work on it.
Scotty

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » August 9th, 2012, 9:30 pm

Scotty wrote:rode last night...

I assume the reroute/ride around of the first tree on the rooty climb (sect 2) was an unapproved bandit "fix". somebody had to drag all those logs and brush out of the way to create that 50ft span of future erosion, just to avoid 5 or 6 roots. Ground is so loose there it's not sustainable for much longer. thought several times about dragging all the logs back over it, but i've done that so often out there (only to find everything moved the next day) that I don't bother anymore.

as much as I enjoy riding up all the roots on that climb, the prospect of riding over a root or two seems to inspire trail widening by others. I'm wondering if it would make more sense to provide an easy ride around at the top of the long downhill so people without the skills or ballz to ride uphill for more than 30 seconds can just take a pass and not bother going to the bottom to begin with? that way the people that actually care can ride the rough stuff without it getting torn to pieces. I volunteer to help work on it.

I agree something must be done. One of my fav spots is jumping over those roots all up the climb, after youve ridden it enough it becomes easier, but obviously not for everyone. :? :?: Yes, the less skilled riders clearly need a safe bypass there. :?
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby giantone » August 10th, 2012, 12:02 pm

giantone

Postby Slimm » August 12th, 2012, 10:03 am

tree down section one before the re-route.
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » September 6th, 2012, 2:14 pm

When does Egypt Valley close for the season?
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby Slimm » September 6th, 2012, 2:16 pm

one week from tomorrow, sept 14th, is the last day to ride

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby the Putti » September 13th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Rode it for the last time this year today. Sad. Undoubtedly my favorite trial in W MI.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

2009 Specialized Allez Sport Compact Double
2009 Niner EMD
2013 Cannondale CAADX
2013 Redline Monocog
the Putti

Postby John_H » January 16th, 2013, 12:03 pm

Please keep in mind the trail is closed to bikes until Feb 1st. Stay off the trail until then. There were fresh tire tracks on the trail Jan 15th. I met a conservation officer out there recently (while hiking) and he told me they are going to start ticketing anyone on a bike out there during closed season (Sept 15-Jan 31). They have never ticketed before - but this hunting season had tons more complaints from hunters about bikers poaching trail. One week during deer season the DNR received 6 complaints.
John_H

Postby RickPlite » January 16th, 2013, 12:11 pm

John_H wrote:Please keep in mind the trail is closed to bikes until Feb 1st. Stay off the trail until then. There were fresh tire tracks on the trail Jan 15th. I met a conservation officer out there recently (while hiking) and he told me they are going to start ticketing anyone on a bike out there during closed season (Sept 15-Jan 31). They have never ticketed before - but this hunting season had tons more complaints from hunters about bikers poaching trail. One week during deer season the DNR received 6 complaints.

This includes night riding too.
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby Slimm » January 16th, 2013, 4:19 pm

luton, ski area, merrell - all open all year, including night at ski & merrell.

wtf?? :icon_scratch:

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby cramer » February 2nd, 2013, 7:35 pm

Saw a fat bike while XC skiing today. Bike didn't hurt the trail for skiing in any way. I'm going to give it a try with my regular bike, looks pretty packed down now.
cramer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments