Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby cramer » May 31st, 2012, 7:27 am

rwright wrote:a quick snapshot from strava.... nobody under 30 mins and some of these guys are pretty fast.

http://www.strava.com/segments/cannonsburg-sga-1119456

Someone must have seen this and decided to change that. There is now a time under 30 posted.
cramer

Postby ReidRules18 » May 31st, 2012, 8:22 am

I'm so glad I don't have a Strava! I've got my own PR and I'll keep it that way.

The trail was in great shape yesterday (Wed 5/30), someone must have taken care of that branch as I didn't run into it.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby jlod » July 9th, 2012, 7:11 am

Did anybody else notice the three piles of horse droppings on the 2nd section? It didn't look like any damage from the hoofs though.
jlod

Postby Angrypanda » July 15th, 2012, 8:10 pm

I didn't see any of those horse droppings when I rode today, but I may have just missed them.

This was my first time here in 8 years so I don't really know the layout anymore, but everything seemed fine. The only thing I took note of is a large tree that fell across the path. It is very noticeable on an open straight section though, so unless someone is not paying any attention there's no way it would be a problem.
Angrypanda

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » July 15th, 2012, 10:57 pm

I noticed the horse apples when I was there last week. This is still one of my favorite trails though. Why don't they have any races here? Too many road crossings?
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby Mike_D » July 15th, 2012, 11:19 pm

LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:I noticed the horse apples when I was there last week. This is still one of my favorite trails though. Why don't they have any races here? Too many road crossings?

From what I was told years ago when I asked the same question is that it is primarily a hunting/game area, not a recreation area like Yankee Springs.
Mike_D

Postby Scotty » July 17th, 2012, 11:58 am

there are locals that occasionally ride their horses there. Why they'd want to navigate the single track AND potential run ins with mtbrs I have no idea.

I've always thought it would be a good idea to build the occasional obstacle into the trail that would discourage equestrians from trail poaching. Like some kind of impossible to ride around narrow point, or downing trees that are high enough to walk or ride a bike under but a pain to ride a horse under. Nothing dangerous, just inconvenient if you're using the wrong type of transportation.

I've seen it all on that trail over the years. Horses, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, people digging up trees near the trail (stealing), poachers (out of season hunting), people attempting to dump garbage. One time at the end of section 2 i came round a corner to see a guy pointing a shotgun at my head. He was getting ready to fire down the trail at a tree! Once I chased several guys on motorcycles out of section two. They were from a home adjacent to the property and tried to hide from me in their garage.
Scotty

Postby cramer » July 17th, 2012, 2:28 pm

Just got back from riding the trail, saw two trees down across the trail.

1st section after that small downhill, big one with lots of branches.

4th section between 1/4 and 1/2 mile in, dead tree.
cramer

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » July 17th, 2012, 7:40 pm

Scotty wrote:I've always thought it would be a good idea to build the occasional obstacle into the trail that would discourage equestrians from trail poaching. Like some kind of impossible to ride around narrow point, or downing trees that are high enough to walk or ride a bike under but a pain to ride a horse under. Nothing dangerous, just inconvenient if you're using the wrong type of transportation.

I'm with ya on this.

Once I chased several guys on motorcycles out of section two.

Wow, you must be FAST!
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby Scotty » July 20th, 2012, 8:26 am

LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:Wow, you must be FAST!

should have said "followed" :lol:
Scotty

Postby Bigtymer » July 24th, 2012, 10:14 am

Scotty wrote:there are locals that occasionally ride their horses there. Why they'd want to navigate the single track AND potential run ins with mtbrs I have no idea.

I've always thought it would be a good idea to build the occasional obstacle into the trail that would discourage equestrians from trail poaching. Like some kind of impossible to ride around narrow point, or downing trees that are high enough to walk or ride a bike under but a pain to ride a horse under. Nothing dangerous, just inconvenient if you're using the wrong type of transportation.

I've seen it all on that trail over the years. Horses, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, people digging up trees near the trail (stealing), poachers (out of season hunting), people attempting to dump garbage. One time at the end of section 2 i came round a corner to see a guy pointing a shotgun at my head. He was getting ready to fire down the trail at a tree! Once I chased several guys on motorcycles out of section two. They were from a home adjacent to the property and tried to hide from me in their garage.

Scotty, a gate/fence in spots were only mtn bikers can get through would work. I've seen it done out here in Colorado to keep horses out, but the trail being at a state game area might be difficult to get approved. I'm really not sure, just thought I would throw that idea out there. I hope you guys are enjoying the trails this summer, I miss them:(
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » August 2nd, 2012, 11:10 pm

Even with the rain due to such heavy use the trail is falling apart quickly. :twisted: The very fast riders have created so many bypasses that I cant even count them all :roll: . This is due to so many rec riders being able to ride the trail now, or should i say the edges of the trail. The sand is still a foot deep in spots, not kidding, and getting worse.
One of the side effects of mmba dumbing down the trail and getting so many more riders that dont know what there doing out there. If ur gonna fill up the few existing trails with new riders you should at least try to educate them. :? The trail is rapidly becoming dangerous, just what I like :twisted: , I could due without so much sand though. DONT GET ME WRONG I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH OTHER RIDERS AND NEW RIDERS, but if all there gonna due is make bypasses and destroy the trail or worse, then we are in for some serious problems. :(
I swear almost every time i ride there I can see that the trail has gotten worse. Good thing for the shortcut to ski area. It seems to me that a private trail that the mmba doesnt have free rain over seems to be the way to go. :lol:

By the way there are also two large trees down, first one at the bottom of the steepest short climb which is not rideable. Second is 2/3 way down the long straight downhill right towards the end of the third section coming out to the 3 mile lot which is barely passeable.
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby Mike_D » August 2nd, 2012, 11:55 pm

The 1st tree down that GRXC-MTNBKR spoke of above, to be more specific in location, is after Dursom Road, after the switchback uphill climb, & at the bottom of the steep short climb as he described. No way of riding around that windfall...

Although I didn't have a chance to ride the rest of the trail from 3 mile rd. on (was running out of daylight and had to make it back to the ski area), I didn't think the trail was in that bad of shape given the fact the weather we have been having. Sure, there was a lot of sand which I expected due to the lack of rains, but I thought it was a lot sandier at the ski area and there were some decent lines going thru the sandboxes. I will say that the downhill, just before the switchback uphill climb, is getting more rutted out/washed out every time I go out there. Not complaining, just sayin'... Wonder how many inexperienced riders that has taken out this year....
Mike_D

Postby cramer » August 3rd, 2012, 7:37 am

Trail was in great shape last night, sandy spots due to dry weather were gone.
cramer

Postby Scotty » August 3rd, 2012, 2:01 pm

G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote: The very fast riders have created so many bypasses that I cant even count them all .

that's a silly statement.

"faster" and more accomplished riders don't typically build or create ride arounds. My experience at that trail over the past 20 years is that the people creating ride arounds are "weekend warrior" types and novice riders. I've run into people doing just that many times on that trail. Several times I've gotten in shouting matches with people. In each occurance they were slower riders, mostly people "out of the know" with the local MMBA chapter and the history of the trail.

Having known most of the "faster" riders in the area over the years, I think it's safe to say that they often take the more difficult lines (not those that widen the trail) because those harder lines are the faster lines (if you can ride them).
Scotty

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments