Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » September 11th, 2011, 2:09 pm

LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:What reroute or log pile? I only know of one log pile out there really and it's the one with the log cut out.

I'm on Tapatalk, expect spelling/grammar mistakes!

Exactly what I said yes the cutout log pile. The sharp turn between the tress right before that. Someone moved a tree stump or something big there so u cant even ride it for those of us that want to. I think it slowed the rec riders down so much they couldnt make it over the log pile. But there was already a illegal bypass made so no need to block it off. :?
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby Go_Green » September 11th, 2011, 11:49 pm

The result of roadies on mountain bikes. Want straight trails. Soon begging that they get paved. ;)

I saw a couple of people (older) taking pictures of each other going over the log pile. I can only assume they were very new to the sport because it's really just an over-sized tree root. Even with the sharp-turn it wasn't an issue even for a beginner. Dissapointing that it wasn't a legal change by the TC.
Go_Green

Postby paydirt_07 » September 13th, 2011, 8:31 pm

Have to say that I love the new reroutes and the new armored section at the end! The one, with the log-climb, before the bridge is packing in well since we cut it in earlier this summer.

I have one issue to vent about and it has been discussed for all the years that I've been on this forum and doesn't seem to ever get better.

Let me preface that I am not stereo-typing team bikers, but am only pointing out one individual who races for Kenda and rides a green 9er. Him and his partner approached, called on your left, we slowed and pulled right into the weeds and kept rolling; giving them plenty of room to slow down and pass safely. they claimed they slowed down, but the above mentioned cut into me at a fairly fast pace, taking us both down. I only mention this because he is representing a team's image when he is wearing full kit. His careless actions only perpetuate the me first, bad racer-boy attitude to those less knowledgeable about mt biking. I am sure that the rest of the Kenda team is not this way. However, if my friend and I were newbies we probably would have left with a very negative opinion of not just this individual, but the team he represents as well.
paydirt_07

Postby dirtjunkie » September 14th, 2011, 6:10 am

paydirt_07 wrote:Have to say that I love the new reroutes and the new armored section at the end! The one, with the log-climb, before the bridge is packing in well since we cut it in earlier this summer.

I have one issue to vent about and it has been discussed for all the years that I've been on this forum and doesn't seem to ever get better.

Let me preface that I am not stereo-typing team bikers, but am only pointing out one individual who races for Kenda and rides a green 9er. Him and his partner approached, called on your left, we slowed and pulled right into the weeds and kept rolling; giving them plenty of room to slow down and pass safely. they claimed they slowed down, but the above mentioned cut into me at a fairly fast pace, taking us both down. I only mention this because he is representing a team's image when he is wearing full kit. His careless actions only perpetuate the me first, bad racer-boy attitude to those less knowledgeable about mt biking. I am sure that the rest of the Kenda team is not this way. However, if my friend and I were newbies we probably would have left with a very negative opinion of not just this individual, but the team he represents as well.

Love the new stuff out there also. Seems like every time they do a reroute, it makes EV longer and more fun. Hats off to the trail folks!

Sorry for the run-in....no, its not me....unless a vertically challenged guy on a carbon stumpy is what you mean by a green niner... :D Hoping nothing serious happened, and that you only got dirty.

Also...thanks for saying that you're not stereotyping. I do race....a lot....& enjoy riding there. Crossing over to C-Berg or doing the trifecta from the 4 mile parking lot is a hoot...& excellent training for anyone trying to hang with the leaders at XC races. However, I too see those guys....who make reckless passes or get *beep* when they have to check up for a slower rider...and it drives me nuts. My biggest peeve is the idiots who fly off the trail into the parking lot, Sprint across it as tho they're being chased by a Yeti, give a casual right-left-right glance, then blast across 4 mile while hitting the laptime button for lap four.

I know their Coach wants 'em to put the hammer down for extended sessions...but good lord, its not worth hurting someone over. I get plenty of quality race pace training out there, without taking people out or making dumb *beep* passes. Bottom line: this is supposed to be fun....lighten up, Francis.

Last ride of 11 at EV tonight....*sniff* :cry:
dirtjunkie

Postby kms662 » September 14th, 2011, 8:10 am

dirtjunkie wrote:Last ride of 11 at EV tonight....*sniff* :cry:

You're bringing beer, right? :lol:
kms662

Postby paydirt_07 » September 14th, 2011, 8:27 am

dirtjunkie wrote:Sorry for the run-in....no, its not me....unless a vertically challenged guy on a carbon stumpy is what you mean by a green niner... :D Hoping nothing serious happened, and that you only got dirty.

Doubt it was you...you would have remembered me...I was *beep*! My biking is over for awhile because the end of his handlebar crashed into the back of my left hand (I'm left-handed) and it's swollen. Still have full movement...don't think anything is broke, plus I have no health insurance.

Also...thanks for saying that you're not stereotyping. I do race....a lot....& enjoy riding there. Crossing over to C-Berg or doing the trifecta from the 4 mile parking lot is a hoot...& excellent training for anyone trying to hang with the leaders at XC races. However, I too see those guys....who make reckless passes or get *beep* when they have to check up for a slower rider...and it drives me nuts. My biggest peeve is the idiots who fly off the trail into the parking lot, Sprint across it as tho they're being chased by a Yeti, give a casual right-left-right glance, then blast across 4 mile while hitting the laptime button for lap four.

I know their Coach wants 'em to put the hammer down for extended sessions...but good lord, its not worth hurting someone over. I get plenty of quality race pace training out there, without taking people out or making dumb *beep* passes. Bottom line: this is supposed to be fun....lighten up, Francis.

You expressed my thoughts very well! Yeah, I won't stereo-type all team racers because most of them are decent people, it's the few douche-bags that are always trying to better their last lap time by a few seconds and have very little regard for others on the trail while they are doing it. I used to race and know what it's like to train hard, but I always slowed down and passed others safely while training. Yeah, these guys apologized but I doubt they will change the way they ride. I talked to the guy who hit me again at the trail head and asked him what *beep* that was about. He gave another half-hearted apology and then gave me some BS about doing a lot of racing and passing and having been passed a lot and then tried to imply that I pulled back into the trail as he was passing...which didn't happen! His crashing into me threw me back into the trail onto him.
paydirt_07

Postby dirtjunkie » September 14th, 2011, 8:47 am

kms662 wrote:
dirtjunkie wrote:Last ride of 11 at EV tonight....*sniff* :cry:

You're bringing beer, right? :lol:

I ALWAYS bring beer........can't help it that you don't partake in Naty Light.... :D
dirtjunkie

Postby cramer » September 14th, 2011, 9:05 am

We'll be drinkin' grillin' spinnin' (records) and chillin' out at Cannon Brewing post ride tonight. Bon fire and/or heated barn. Anyone out riding is welcome to stop by for a beer.

edit- won't be back from ride until ~ 8:30.
Last edited by cramer on September 14th, 2011, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cramer

Postby Slimm » September 14th, 2011, 10:42 am

dirtjunkie wrote:...

My biggest peeve is the idiots who fly off the trail into the parking lot, Sprint across it as tho they're being chased by a Yeti, give a casual right-left-right glance, then blast across 4 mile while hitting the laptime button for lap four.

Last ride of 11 at EV tonight....*sniff* :cry:

I'm trying to figure out why it bothers you how fast someone rides across the parking lot. That seems funny to me. Why do you care?

Also, sometimes I think novice riders don't realize that after an overtaking rider has slowed down behind them, a pass takes longer than half a second. If you're about to be passed and pull off the trail, I think there is a reasonable expectation that you are yielding to the faster rider until they get by.

I'm not saying reckless riding is ok, and plenty of that goes on, but i am saying that once you decide to yield, yield until the faster guy/girl gets past.

see you tonight, i'll be the one passing on your left :mrgreen:

j/k

-s
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » September 14th, 2011, 4:15 pm

With all of this talk about racing, What's a good time for the 8 miles at EV?
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby msugrad96 » September 14th, 2011, 6:13 pm

What an awesome day to finish the season at EV. Couldn't make it out tonight to join the large group out there but got in a couple of laps at lunch. Going to miss ya girl for the rest of the season.
msugrad96

Postby dirtjunkie » September 15th, 2011, 12:04 pm

Slimm wrote:
dirtjunkie wrote:...

My biggest peeve is the idiots who fly off the trail into the parking lot, Sprint across it as tho they're being chased by a Yeti, give a casual right-left-right glance, then blast across 4 mile while hitting the laptime button for lap four.

I'm trying to figure out why it bothers you how fast someone rides across the parking lot. That seems funny to me. Why do you care?

I guess if I made it a practice to ride a bicycle at or near race pace through packed parking lots on a regular basis....I wouldn't care either.

It's a parking lot.....you come off the trail pretty much unable to see a vehicle pulling out of a parking spot on your left side...I've witnessed more than a few near-misses.

If the notion of backing it down thru a packed parking lot doesn't make sense too you....that's cool. Ride on.

Slimm wrote:see you tonight, i'll be the one passing on your left

Must have missed you? :?
dirtjunkie

Postby cramer » February 1st, 2012, 3:18 pm

Officially open to bikes for the season today.... but super muddy from the thaw so avoid for now.
cramer

Postby lampenj » February 1st, 2012, 3:25 pm

Thanks for the reminder that it's open! I'm thinking about riding on Sunday afternoon. Hopefully it stays warm enough and dry to let the trail drain by then.
lampenj

Postby cramer » February 1st, 2012, 4:24 pm

lampenj wrote:Thanks for the reminder that it's open! I'm thinking about riding on Sunday afternoon. Hopefully it stays warm enough and dry to let the trail drain by then.

I think it's unlikely it will be dry by then, but that's just my guess. If you were to ride it first thing in the AM it might be frozen though.
cramer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions