MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby chisbang » February 20th, 2016, 9:44 am

Muddy mess today, good day for a road ride. Chains are up.
Last edited by chisbang on February 20th, 2016, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Chisholm
Assistant Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury hermit; keeping an eye on the trail.
chisbang

Postby hobbes69 » February 20th, 2016, 9:48 am

Thanks for the update, you saved me a trip.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
hobbes69

Postby jreyst » February 22nd, 2016, 11:02 am

Monday now and 33 degrees after several days with no snow or precipitation at all after a few warm days. Has the previously reported mud dried up/firmed up enough for a skinny this afternoon?
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby DNR_Maybury » February 23rd, 2016, 12:13 pm

So the trails seem to be drying out well, although not ready yet. I did see the (and for that matter hear from an avid park user about the horse issue). Although unfortunate, some of the blame must fall on me as I didn't have enough chain to put up on the new trail head entrance and that seems to be where they got on. I did hear of someone parked off Napier with a horse trailer, which is not ok to do. If any of you hear about this please notify the park office as we need to get pictures of this. I suspect that person was the culprit. I have also seen and spoken to more MTBr's than I'd like this year about not riding the horse trails, so it does work both ways. It is less common here than at other places. If you do see equines out on the mtb trail please call the park line and give a good description so we can try to track them down. Remember to be nice when dealing with people who violate as going the other route (though it may feel good to unload on someone) usually ends poorly and nothing but bad blood comes from that.

On to a new topic, I have been cutting trees the past few days and I only have 2.5 days left here at the park. I don't know how bad the tails are for you all, but the cold temps are going to be here again and if any of you could try to check it over and let Don know, or another certified cutter know that would be a big help. The park will be short staffed with my leaving, and I know they won't be able to get to it for a while. Please make sure to contact the park and let us know if your coming to clear any trees as we'd appreciate it. Thanks again.
DNR_Maybury

Postby jnwbiker » February 23rd, 2016, 12:23 pm

DNR_Maybury wrote:On to a new topic, I have been cutting trees the past few days and I only have 2.5 days left here at the park. I don't know how bad the tails are for you all, but the cold temps are going to be here again and if any of you could try to check it over and let Don know, or another certified cutter know that would be a big help. The park will be short staffed with my leaving, and I know they won't be able to get to it for a while. Please make sure to contact the park and let us know if your coming to clear any trees as we'd appreciate it. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the hard work you've done and good luck in your new assignment.

I have my certificate on file at your office and would be happy to help with tree clearing. In years past I worked with Don to do this and would willing to help out again as needed. I'll watch the condition thread here and of course keep in touch with Don.

Cheers,
-jw
"Never argue with an idiot in public. Bystanders may not know who is who." - Unknown
jnwbiker

Postby slukomski » February 23rd, 2016, 7:05 pm

I had a few minutes to kill tonight and walked to the winter trailhead to see if there was any horse damage there. The chains were still up and no damage to the trail. I covered a few hundred feet in both directions.
2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite
slukomski

Postby b_b » February 23rd, 2016, 8:48 pm

DNR_Maybury wrote:I did see the (and for that matter hear from an avid park user about the horse issue). Although unfortunate, some of the blame must fall on me as I didn't have enough chain to put up on the new trail head entrance and that seems to be where they got on.

Nah it's still a non-horse trail and I bet they knew what they were doing was wrong.
b_b

Postby bender13 » February 25th, 2016, 1:36 pm

Tough slog, did a couple of miles at lunch, then bailed. One set of snowshoe tracks on some of the single track, but that was it.

Jeff
Trails-Edge Racing
National Mountain Bike Patrol
bender13

Postby CTB » April 6th, 2016, 3:52 am

Rode the trail Tuesday evening after work. Trail overall was wetter than I expected; some places were excellent, but others were a little soft. Nothing overly bad, and generally it was pretty decent, but one more day of sun and dry would have been great. Of course, that's all out the window now with the weather.
CTB

Postby santaclausersolo » May 4th, 2016, 7:57 am

CFH wrote:Yeah it was a Zoo... and people need to understand when I yell "PASS" it means get the F over! I cant tell how many people I saw last night that didnt get out of the Fing way. So sick of that!

Also... what a good lap time at the trail now with the first area being changed?

This whole passing thing comes up YEAR after YEAR after YEAR.

Just an FYI, no one in front of you is required to "get the F over and out of your way"

While I agree it's frustrating, and common sense should dictate that if you get caught you politely move over so the person behind you can carry on with their ride, expecting people to get out of the "fing way" seems kinda hostile.
santaclausersolo

Postby vas » May 5th, 2016, 10:35 am

back to the topic pa$$holes :-) ... I know we got a lot of rain yesterday but if anyone checked it out please post.
vas

Postby santaclausersolo » May 6th, 2016, 6:59 am

poirier wrote:
vas wrote:back to the topic pa$$holes :-) ... I know we got a lot of rain yesterday but if anyone checked it out please post.

Trail was grippy and fast with a handful of puddles @ 8:30pm

But did everyone move out of your way and roll the red carpet out for you?
santaclausersolo

Postby DRC » June 10th, 2016, 7:52 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]
poirier wrote:Note to everyone: Take some trimmers and trim as you ride. Nobody is going to schedule a trail day to trim.

On a team? Get your team out and trim!

Ride solo? Pick a mile long section and walk it. Open up sight lines and trim face slappers way down to the base. Report back where you trimmed so we don't overlap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Word up, Poirier. I traded my usual Thursday night hustle for a mega slow trail walk/roll to clip out what I could. I started from the winter loop trail head and worked my way back to the main trailhead (original main trailhead) before I ran out of light. I still did not get everything that needs to be trimmed in that section. There are many areas that will be better served by a machine than hand trimmers. It's thick out there. There were spots where I had a hard time tossing the branches off the side of the trail - the branch would hit a wall of green and just fall back at me. I basically concentrated on the growth that was helmet high, arm grabber or obscured sight lines. I didn't really touch the knee and below stuff.

I went out after 8pm as to avoid being in the way of the post-work trail users. If you rode before 8pm, the portion I trimmed is likely in better shape now than it would have been for your Thursday evening ride.
DRC

Postby DRC » December 4th, 2016, 3:52 pm

As of 3pm on 12/04/2016 down trees have been cleared - thank you trail worker(s). Trail is wide open and ready to rip.
DRC

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions