MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby CTB » June 23rd, 2015, 2:06 pm

Anyone venture out there and see what kind of damage we sustained last night? Lots of flooding and downed trees where I am. I hope the trail wasn't hit too badly.
CTB

Postby Dirtdevil » June 24th, 2015, 2:19 pm

Just finished a lap. The usual mud pits, but otherwise in good shape. The widowmaker after the climb shortly after the wooden rock feature has gotten much lower & needs to be cut down before it takes someone's head off. I had to really duck down to pass under it.

Thanks to whomever did the trimming!

BTW, I've been riding here for many a year & don't recall it ever being this sandy! Watch it on the corners or you'll fall & go boom!
Dirtdevil

Postby b_b » June 24th, 2015, 8:34 pm

Dirtdevil wrote:BTW, I've been riding here for many a year & don't recall it ever being this sandy! Watch it on the corners or you'll fall & go boom!

I thought the same. At the first pile I thought somebody threw sand down to fill a mud hole. That Tstorm really washed the sand down the hills!
b_b

Postby pongomoto » June 24th, 2015, 9:14 pm

Couple things:

1 - The tree with the big lean across the trail, needs to go soon please. I came across a guy who smacked his head on it really good. Yes he was wearing a helmet. There was some one there with him and saw it happen. He was down for a few minutes. He was alert and joking but you could tell he was knocked on. Impact bent his seat rails. Me and the guy who was with him when it happened rode out with him to the trail head. He was riding fine and seemed okay. Other guy, I should of asked his name, rode with him back to the parking lot since he was done riding for the day as well. On my next three laps I slowed down when approaching people to tell them about the tree that was down and to start looking out for it after the winter loop split. Didn't witness or hear of anyone else clipping it. Eventually the smaller tree it is leaning against will give way and it'll cover the trail completely.

2 - Trail was I good shape with about 4 of the usual mud puddles that seem to stay forever after it rains.

3 - Lots and lots of sand. Did more than my share of drifting turns. Even stopped half way thru lap 1 to let some air out of my tires.

That's all I got. Mostly wanted to talk about the tree. Looks like the park people are busy moving dirt and shaping the asphalt path so maybe that's why it is taking a while to get the tree removed. Needs a chain saw for sure. Oh and.....

4 - Thanks to all who keep this trail together. It's always fun. I wanted to do two more laps but had to get home.
pongomoto

Postby vas » June 24th, 2015, 10:16 pm

pongomoto wrote:4 - Thanks to all who keep this trail together. It's always fun. I wanted to do two more laps but had to get home.

4 laps and you wanted to do two more...? I do two and I am dead :D how long did it take you for 4?
vas

MCMBA: Maybury

Postby barry007 » June 25th, 2015, 10:40 pm

Did someone fill in the little dip on segment 2 just past the two wooden bridges? I hit that on my first lap tonight and almost lost it. It's really loose sand and for sure will cause some spillage.
"You can't be defeated if you're still Fighting"
barry007

Postby b_b » June 25th, 2015, 11:15 pm

barry007 wrote:Did someone fill in the little dip on segment 2 just past the two wooden bridges? I hit that on my first lap tonight and almost lost it. It's really loose sand and for sure will cause some spillage.

Pretty sure it was washed down there by the TStorm Tuesday night. Very heavy downpour!
b_b

Postby barry007 » June 25th, 2015, 11:17 pm

I live a couple hundred yards from there - just a little storm as I lost only half a tree to a lightning strike. I could be wrong but it looks like it was man made.
barry007

Postby Dirtdevil » June 26th, 2015, 7:02 am

That little dip and another dip in the area appear to have been filled in by someone. Don't like it either. It's very sandy/slippery & I thought the dips were fine they way they were.

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby barry007 » June 26th, 2015, 7:22 am

Thx for corroborating my story. I really don't like the change and quite enjoyed the dip. At this point we're better off turning it into a log pile vs sand trap.
barry007

Postby vas » June 26th, 2015, 8:47 am

given the amount of sand all over the trail I think it is natural... why would anyone do that...
vas

Postby pongomoto » June 26th, 2015, 12:30 pm

About the sand...and this is just my opinion

On your way down to the *beep* area, if you look to your left you can see where the sand comes from. After the last few days of rain, there were visible washout/drainage paths leading down from the road. Not designed on purpose, just looks like erosion from constant rain. The road is fine but the slope between the road and the trail is like one big shingle and the trail is the gutter. That dip is a low lying spot so water will run thru bringing sand and soil with it.

Just gives the trail more variety.
pongomoto

Postby vas » June 28th, 2015, 11:06 am

Anyone?
vas

Postby b_b » June 28th, 2015, 2:01 pm

pongomoto wrote:About the sand...and this is just my opinion
On your way down to the *beep* area,

No need to swear over a little sand. :)
b_b

Postby barry007 » Yesterday, 7:55 am

trail was in good shape yesterday ~330pm with <10 puddles/holes in the usual mucky spots.

It looks like Trevor has been busy cutting down the half-fallen tree that's just past the winter loop intersection - it wasn't completed so a dismount is required.
barry007

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments