MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby Genetic_ » April 23rd, 2015, 9:32 pm

FWIW, I called in the tree to Park HQ at 9AM on Wednesday.
Genetic_

Postby barry007 » April 24th, 2015, 4:03 pm

I'll have a bone to pick with Trevor...
"You can't be defeated if you're still Fighting"
barry007

Postby frecher » April 24th, 2015, 4:41 pm

Just did a loop and unless I missed it, it has been removed. Trail was in excellent condition.
frecher

Postby jreyst » April 25th, 2015, 8:32 am

I did a couple laps yesterday also and yeah, no trees to jump or ride around that I saw. I did the normal first hill climb on the first lap then did the new section on the second lap. The new section is kind of cool going through the sunny hillside meadow area. So is the idea that the new section will eliminate the hill or just be another option? I hope the hill climb remains because it's one of the (many) things I like about Maybury.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby DNR_Maybury » April 26th, 2015, 12:12 pm

To end any speculation as to the status of "the hill" our reroute that we did a few weeks ago came from the continued issue of the erosion on the hill. With that in mind we will be closing off the old hill in the beginning of May. I know some might not like the decision, but the continuing erosion coupled with the widening of the trail prior to the hill and up the hill (where people have tried to avoid the really bad section) have made the decision for us. We want to have great trails and areas that have the problems we have to deal with. In my 3 years here I have noticed a gradual problem that continued to have issues. I don't want anyone to have the conclusion that this was an easy decision for the park. With the amount of maintenance on the hill that is needed, and the fact that the old hill is not at the adequate grade (per IMBA). The other trails that were there for the time trial that we had a very hard time keeping people off it seemed to be logical to terminate the eroded hill, and find a way to incorporate the trails that were not supposed to be used, so that's what we did. On another note please send the message to some of those that don't hit the forum to please park in the 8 mile lot, with the construction projects going on in the park we had to eliminate some parking at both locations and that means our max capacity for the beck lot is now 40 cars, much less that we have had. Hope to see some of you out on the trail, one of my rigs will be living at the park for the summer/fall.
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker Maybury State Park
mcginnt@michigan.gov 248.349.8390
DNR_Maybury

Postby missionchips » April 26th, 2015, 6:56 pm

Rode Maybury today and everything was in terrific shape! Loved the new section at the beginning. Thanks to all that have put in their time and efforts!
missionchips

Postby risnewski » April 26th, 2015, 8:01 pm

Nice job Trevor. The reroute is an improvement in length and adds a new challenge.
risnewski

Postby DNR_Maybury » April 29th, 2015, 7:54 am

Just to keep you all in the loop as far as our paved trail project goes we are moving at a good pace. Starting today we will be getting the new blacktop in place. They will be doing the east west paved trail prior to the paved loop by the mountain bike trail head but there goal is to have all the new paving finished by Thursday night. This is not only a much needed improvement as many of you might know, but these improvements happen about once every 30-40 years. With that in mind we ask that you not ride on the new pavement as it is important to keep traffic off for the first 24-48 hours to allow it to set correctly. If you come to an area that is new pavement please ride on the shoulder or attempt an alternate route. We will plan on it being open by the weekend. Thanks again and I hope you are all out enjoying this beautiful weather!
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker Maybury State Park
mcginnt@michigan.gov 248.349.8390
DNR_Maybury

Postby aaronmelch » Today, 7:05 am

I rode the trail yesterday and it was in great shape. I really like the new section, have to keep your eyes open and scrub some speed at the bottom of the one hill. I would like to commend all the workers who put it in. I was in Chicago that weekend but look forward to coming out on a trail day in the future to help out. Thanks for the great work.
aaronmelch

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments