MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby mrbikester » April 24th, 2014, 8:44 pm

Rode Maybury today and it was in GREAT shape. When I set my computer at parking lot and start at trail head……… at the 6.2 mile mark there is a tree leaning across the trail and you need to duck to avoid hitting your head. Other than that all is good.
mrbikester

Postby IronMike » April 25th, 2014, 8:30 am

Did it have two trees leaning toward it from the opposite side of the trail and a reroute starting to form next to it?
IronMike

Postby DNR_Maybury » April 25th, 2014, 9:04 am

slukomski wrote:Still in great shape today 4/23. Looks like someone is creating a reroute around the teepee.

Where is this teepee?
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby DynoDon » April 25th, 2014, 10:17 am

Teepee is about a mile or so from the end, the reroute is to the left, but there may one forming to the right too, someone piled sticks up on the left one yesterday. I did notice some roots missing from last year too, shame when there is a paved path there for the people that don't like roots, and obstacals. Trail was in great shape, thank you.
DynoDon

Postby BLOOMIS914 » April 26th, 2014, 9:33 pm

Hey Trevor - The "teepee" feature is the two trees crossing each other creating a tight squeeze and potential low bridge at approx 5.5 miles in from the main trailhead or pretty close to the end. It is a great feature but seems to get tighter and tighter each year. Unfortunate to hear a ride-around is forming....I haven't ridden since last weekend but will be out Sunday again. A warning sign would be more appropriate rather than a ride around or removal. Please leave intact. This feature is easy to navigate slowly but as I have said before, add some speed and the wrong line and this can be very challenging. This feature was actually built by Native American Indians in the late 1800s and to remove it will bring heavy penalties and years of bad karma- at least this is was I have been told.
"Speed doesn't kill, it is the sudden stop that gets you"
BLOOMIS914

Postby b_b » April 26th, 2014, 9:50 pm

BLOOMIS914 wrote: Unfortunate to hear a ride-around is forming

It's way beyond forming. Appears to be very popular! I say allow one but move a long log there to ride over or around so teepee is best for your strava time. :)
b_b

Postby chisbang » April 27th, 2014, 5:46 am

b_b wrote:
BLOOMIS914 wrote: Unfortunate to hear a ride-around is forming

It's way beyond forming. Appears to be very popular! I say allow one but move a long log there to ride over or around so teepee is best for your strava time. :)

The left option is official now. You can stay right and ride the TeePees or go left to avoid them. This line was a result of the TT races going in reverse last season. It's tough to ride the TeePees in reverse so they created a different line.
Don Chisholm
Assistant Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury hermit; keeping an eye on the trail.
chisbang

Postby DNR_Maybury » April 27th, 2014, 6:46 am

BLOOMIS914 wrote:Hey Trevor - The "teepee" feature is the two trees crossing each other creating a tight squeeze and potential low bridge at approx 5.5 miles in from the main trailhead or pretty close to the end. It is a great feature but seems to get tighter and tighter each year. Unfortunate to hear a ride-around is forming....I haven't ridden since last weekend but will be out Sunday again. A warning sign would be more appropriate rather than a ride around or removal. Please leave intact. This feature is easy to navigate slowly but as I have said before, add some speed and the wrong line and this can be very challenging. This feature was actually built by Native American Indians in the late 1800s and to remove it will bring heavy penalties and years of bad karma- at least this is was I have been told.

My original thought was some kids when out and built one of those stick teepee's out there on the trail, I was unaware that those leaners had coined the name teepee. Don called me yesterday to tell me it was those trees. We will be leaving the trees as it is one of my favorite features on the trail. We will treat it as if it were a log pile or rock pile and have the ride around be official added. Don did add some reflectors to it yesterday to warn people that the trees are low. Last few times I rode it seemed the normal height to me, but I was looking for it after my encounter with it last year!
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby ColorVoyeur » April 27th, 2014, 7:11 am

Reflectors & a bypass are a brilliant resolution, thanks for your great work!
No Dig, No Ride
ColorVoyeur

Postby turbotodd » April 30th, 2014, 7:38 pm

trail was great tonight. the brief rain made it nice and tacky, no major puddles.

there is one big pine tree down, it will require a chainsaw:
turbotodd

Postby CTB » May 1st, 2014, 5:11 am

Thanks for leaving the teepee! I greatly appreciate your work to keep the features in the trail.
CTB

Postby poirier » May 1st, 2014, 9:31 pm

Tree is gone. Trail is in good shape with a handful of greasy corners.
poirier

Postby Brother Crank » May 4th, 2014, 11:16 am

Rode last night, cautiously, and it was mostly tacky with some greasy spots. Unfortunately, a lot of those spots are on climbs.
"Why should anyone steal a watch when he could steal a bicycle?" Flann O'Brien
Brother Crank

Postby barry1me » May 6th, 2014, 3:36 pm

I am heading to MB tonight to see what trails look like.
barry1me

Postby Loren » May 6th, 2014, 3:38 pm

Was great last night - enjoy!
Loren

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments