MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Maybury

Postby bentmettle » May 9th, 2010, 8:39 pm

Handful of wet spots tonight-

8"-10" tree down across the trail shortly after the first bench, we'll say around .8 miles in.

Totally rideable, though.

Various low hanging limbs. Pretty good shape overall, but not really a brain dead affair.
/\/\att |3ushore
bentmettle

Postby mmac1318 » May 15th, 2010, 8:14 pm

I rode Maybury today. It was my 1st time out there and I had fun. The trail was in pretty good shape some moist spots but you can ride around almost all of them. Those hills 1st starting out almost killed me. I havnt been riding much this year and it was tough at 1st. I did wipe out once on a tight turn between 2 trees but it wasnt too bad. Hopefully the rain stays away so we can keep riding.
mmac1318

Postby georgemra » May 16th, 2010, 4:19 pm

Rode yesterday and the trail is looking pretty good. All the rain has grown a bunch of face slappers which need to be trimmed back and there is a tree hanging really low just before the bridges at the winter trailhead entrance that should probably be removed. Have fun.
georgemra

Postby Rod » May 19th, 2010, 12:12 pm

Been a while since I have been here.
http://www.michigandnr.com/Publications ... ry_map.pdf
From the parking lot, what trail noted on this map should I take to get to the mountain trail head entrance?
Rod

Postby ramiam764 » May 19th, 2010, 1:35 pm

from the 8 mile entrance make left at first intersection to parking lot in far right.

best to take paved footpath to trail head. No bikes allowed on hiking trails.

you will more then likely see loads of riders heading to the trail head. However the quickest way to trail head is to enter through yellow gate and make a left at first intersection continue straight passing one intersection on left and continue to fork in road and bear left trail head down about 1/4 mile on left. Hope that helps.
ramiam764

Postby bbarel » May 20th, 2010, 8:27 am

georgemra wrote: All the rain has grown a bunch of face slappers

No kidding. Seems like a different trail and can't see very far ahead now. Trail was in good shape last night. The few wet spots were avoidable. Should be perfect today. Duck under that low branch or you'll hit your head. :)
bbarel

Postby tstefani » May 20th, 2010, 5:08 pm

Lots of face slappers, also a tree up rooted right after the new bank threw me off a little
tstefani

Postby hala514 » May 20th, 2010, 8:39 pm

After my first lap, I was waiting at the trailhead for my buddy to come out. While waiting, people came up the paved road, came pouring out of the trail - at one point there was 22 bikes at the trailhead!!!!! Awesome!
hala514

Postby georgemra » May 21st, 2010, 8:21 am

The trail was just in beautiful shape. My best ride of the year so far, everything was hooking up perfectly. I think getting rid of 10psi out of my fork helped too. Ride it with glee.
georgemra

Postby ridethatbike » May 21st, 2010, 12:35 pm

bbarel wrote: Duck under that low branch or you'll hit your head. :)

Doh! I did hit my head on that low branch last night ~ didn't even see it coming! Luckily it hit the top of my helmet and not directly in the face!
JP Banas
*beep* proud original spokedrunkie!
ridethatbike

Postby BLOOMIS914 » May 24th, 2010, 11:54 pm

Any updates on Maybury?
"Speed doesn't kill, it is the sudden stop that gets you"
BLOOMIS914

Postby EnRaz » May 25th, 2010, 7:50 am

As of last night, a couple greasy spots and a few wet areas, but overall in great shape. The faceslappers are encroaching though, so wear glasses! :)

...and the branch after the 2 bridges has been removed.
~Nick

"It is a tragedy of the world that a man does not know what he does not know. And the less a man knows, the more sure he is that he knows everything."
EnRaz

Postby pharus » May 30th, 2010, 10:15 pm

Rode Maybury with a buddy 5/28 evening time. We had quite a few mechanical issues, including a broken chain and a leaky rear shock. Our gratitude goes out to the guy who stopped and offered us a SRAM powerlink for the chain repair, no questions asked. Sure beats trying to take apart another link and splice it. I told my friend he needs to buy 2 powerlinks, one for himself, and one for the next guy who needs one.

After the chain repair, I left my zipper open on the camelback, and my multi-tool fell out somewhere on the trail. I hope somebody found it and can put it to use.
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby jumpstumper » June 1st, 2010, 1:10 pm

EnRaz wrote:...and the branch after the 2 bridges has been removed.

That's nice to know. That one bonked my helmet pretty good my last time out at Maybury. I was worried that it would be dented, but it looked undamaged after I finished my ride. More reason to wear a brain bucket. (I can't believe how many helmet-less riders I've seen on the trails this season. :? )

Any report on trail conditions for this afternoon/evening? I wasn't in town yesterday, so I don't know exactly how much rain came down. It fell pretty hard down in Ohio. The weather right now looks nice, so hopefully any rain from yesterday is draining and evaporating nicely.
jumpstumper

Postby jumpstumper » June 2nd, 2010, 6:43 am

I rode yesterday evening. For the most part it was fairly dry. There are a couple slick spots to watch out for. I lost traction with both wheels on a turn just before the first pavement crossing and went down. Most of the soft spots are easy enough to ride through. There is also a lot of foliage, as one would expect given the rain.
jumpstumper

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions