MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Maybury

Postby Sherpaboy » March 21st, 2010, 5:39 pm

Thanks Matt,
I had kind of figured the pile was made by someone with a smaller saw.

I went out today and cut the remaining parts out...scattered the debris too.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby bbarel » March 24th, 2010, 4:53 pm

Near perfect. Trail is firmer and faster than Sunday. Only one slightly soft spot at the bottom of a hill.
bbarel

Postby amadkins » March 25th, 2010, 11:55 am

Yesterday was maybe the best I've ever seen it.
amadkins

Postby jrshome » March 25th, 2010, 12:43 pm

amadkins wrote:Yesterday was maybe the best I've ever seen it.

Why did I tear all my bikes apart, what a bad year todo late bike work :evil:
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together..."
-- Carl Zwanzig
jrshome

Postby poirier » March 27th, 2010, 10:06 pm

A little greasy out there today. Not the Best I've ever seen.
World's Best Dad Bod

This forum is to be used for entertainment purposes only
poirier

Maybury Trail Day Saturday 4/3/2010

Postby Sherpaboy » March 29th, 2010, 9:06 am

Just FYI the Metrosouth chapter MMBA is hosting a trail day at Maybury this Saturday 4/3/2010

This is open to the public to join in and help us keep Maybury in tip top shape. Come give Maybury some love whether your a member or not - we can always use the help. This should be a fairly easy trail day as well...All the hard work from years past is paying off, and the great work the DNR did last fall is holding up beautifully. Dead fall is pretty much removed already (thanks to the DNR). Our hats off to Tom and his staff for their support

Now because the trail is in pretty good shape were looking to accomplish 2 or 3 things.
De-berming, Face slapper trimming, and closing sole very old trails. We'll have the MMBA Metro South trailer at the trail head and provide all the tools needed...The predicted weather is going to be in the 70's so dress properly, bring some sunscreen and due to the little that needs to be done we can plan a ride after...so bring your bikes :wink: :-)

DETAIL:
Where: - Meet at the Main parking lot off 8 Mile. Look for the MMBA Trailer or My Silver Dodge Caravan (sorry no decals yet).
Date: Saturday April 3rd, 2010
Start Time: 9am meet, snacks, and sign waivers. 9:30am we break up into groups and start working.
What to bring: - Loppers, Gloves, and some friends :D

I estimate being wrapped up in under 2 hours for the most part....If your planning to show up late please let us know in advance and we'll save some work for you :wink: :shock:

**************************************************************************************************************
Want to know more about what we'll be doing ?

1.) De-Berming defined - Berms are small piles of dirt that build up over time along the edges of the trail proper. As we ride the trail it compacts over time and leaves the surrounding untouched ground level a little higher. In some places (turns especially) these berms can build up higher, in some places these berms prevent water from flowing down hill naturally and will pool the water. These pools create wet spots or mud puddles after a rain. Usually taking extra time for the water to perk into the soil.

Our task in de-berming is to knock down the berms and throw the dirt off trail, down slope is best. In the areas where water is pooling we want to remove enough of the berm so the lowest point of the trail is higher than the ground where the berm is/was. We want to prevent the solid from becoming a water dam and allow water to flow off the trail.

2.) Face Slapper Trimming: - Face slappers are branches that stick out into the trail and well...slap you face when riding by. These are usually invasive plants that seek out open space (i.e. trails) with in the forest. Any trail system will unfortunately encourage invasive plants because it is the path of least resistance for them to spread. This goes for horse trails, walking trails, heck even game trails (trails that animals create over time) have this issue.
Our goal for trimming: First is to determine if the plant is invasive, our main 2 culprits are the Hawthorn and even worse the Honeysuckle plants. Michigan DNR has these 2 on their hit list...

So if the plant is either of these 2 species we will remove it as much as possible. This will help the DNR efforts to eradicate them as well. We will give you a quick tutorial as well so you can determine if what your trimming is invasive.

If the plant your trimming is not invasive then we'll be trimming back the branches that are reaching into the trail.

3.) If we have the bodies, we'll look at doing some proper trail closures for old non-used trails. Basically sections that we ride right past all the time...We just want to help Mother Nature grow new seedlings and close off the sections using natural elements.

But more details will be presented at the trail day and we can answer any other questions.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby longey » March 31st, 2010, 12:09 pm

Road the complete trail yesterday afternoon, the trail is in great shape!
longey

Postby ADDam » March 31st, 2010, 7:08 pm

Trail was in PERFECT condition today, get out there and ride!
Adam G
ADDam

Re: Metro South: Maybury 3-31-10

Postby spokeywheeler » April 1st, 2010, 11:30 am

Rode yesterday, and it was awesome! Thanks to whoever removed the trees since last week. I'm gonna try to make it out for the trail day on Saturday. Can't wait to ride it again!
On my mountain bike I am a human roller coaster.
spokeywheeler

Postby jibstix » April 3rd, 2010, 8:38 pm

Rode Friday 4/2/10, and the trail rocked. Perfect condition no mud, slop or anything to speak of. Fantastic. Sometimes I will meet people and they will bag on Maybury. Whatever, the place rocks. Sure maybe it is not epic, but a fun little place where you can get movin pretty good when you need to. Props to the trail crew, sorry I could not make it out for the trail day which I think was today?
jibstix

Postby Dirty Tires » April 4th, 2010, 8:17 pm

Sunday 4/4, about a 12" tree down at the 5.5 mile mark. If you start at the trailhead and walk in opposite bike traffic you will get to it right away. Other than that a perfect trail, the new berm at the turn is working great!
~Nate

Bike Patrol:
http://mmba.org/programs/michigan-mountain-bike-patrol/

Face-slappers are the plants trying to give you a high five.
Dirty Tires

Postby Sherpaboy » April 6th, 2010, 9:44 am

I think the DNR already removed said tree....

Trail was great last night, but with the rain last night it might have a few wet spots.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby kcnado » April 12th, 2010, 11:47 am

Rode Maybury twice this weekend... Stellar condition!
Thanks to those that have done the bridge and corner work!

Thinking back a few years, its a shame that we werent allowed to ride on this trail until April 15th...
-----
"If I can't win, I will make the fellow ahead of me break the record!"
kcnado

Postby TEAMBAMF » April 14th, 2010, 10:00 pm

went out for the first time today, the trail was PERFECT!!! Thing is i think something is very wrong with me, lol, once i get insurance ill have to go get checked out, i think i may have acquired asthma. Today my legs felt fine, but i couldn't breathe, and i get this bubbly cough that feels like it comes from my lungs when i do any exercise, anyone got any ideas? i know this isnt the doctors show, lol, but getting back to topic, THE TRAIL WAS GREAT! get out there now before a tree falls or it rains again.
TEAMBAMF

Postby utabintarbo » April 15th, 2010, 6:29 am

TEAMBAMF wrote:Thing is i think something is very wrong with me, lol, once i get insurance ill have to go get checked out, i think i may have acquired asthma. Today my legs felt fine, but i couldn't breathe, and i get this bubbly cough that feels like it comes from my lungs when i do any exercise, anyone got any ideas?

It must be an epidemic, 'cause everyone I know has that too. :P
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions