MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby DNR_Maybury » April 9th, 2014, 3:26 pm

No trail is not open, It will be posted when its open. Especially with all the phone calls we have recieved about the trail conditions.
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby Genetic_ » April 10th, 2014, 12:03 am

Genetic_

Postby Genetic2.0 » April 10th, 2014, 7:30 am

20 inches of snow along the paved path in spots.

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk and CM 10.2
Genetic2.0

Postby DRC » April 10th, 2014, 7:58 am

Clearly I'm not first on the scene with an updated trail report but I put too much effort into getting these pics and posting them to stop now.

I walked a good portion of the trail yesterday 04/09 about 7pm and it is not ready for action yet. But that has not stopped everyone. I put my Officer Poncherello hat on and determined two fat bikes and at least one non-fat rider have spun a lap in the last 48 hours.

Most of the snow and ice was on the east facing hills - here is a sample:

Do fat bikes cause ruts... Yep. In fact, the ruts are similar to normal bike tire ruts....only fatter:

I guess we just have to tuck it up in the waist band for now and wait it out. High temps, sunshine and warm nights are our friends. Renegade fat bikers and skinny tire mud lovers, not so much...
DRC

Postby chisbang » April 10th, 2014, 10:38 am

DRC wrote:Clearly I'm not first on the scene with an updated trail report but I put too much effort into getting these pics and posting them to stop now.

I walked a good portion of the trail yesterday 04/09 about 7pm and it is not ready for action yet. But that has not stopped everyone. I put my Officer Poncherello hat on and determined two fat bikes and at least one non-fat rider have spun a lap in the last 48 hours.

Most of the snow and ice was on the east facing hills - here is a sample:

Do fat bikes cause ruts... Yep. In fact, the ruts are similar to normal bike tire ruts....only fatter:

I guess we just have to tuck it up in the waist band for now and wait it out. High temps, sunshine and warm nights are our friends. Renegade fat bikers and skinny tire mud lovers, not so much...

I really appreciate the effort you took to post these photos. It is as I suspected. People see that the snow has melted from their yards and think the woods are clear too. WRONG. Looks like not much has changed since I was there on Saturday. Probable won't be rideable for at least another week.
Don Chisholm
Assistant Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury hermit; keeping an eye on the trail.
chisbang

Postby Kazie » April 10th, 2014, 11:06 am

Thank you for putting up the photos. Those ruts are DISGUSTING!! But saying this doesn't mean much, because they should have been done by those who don't read these forums. The same thing every spring.

And by the way, one fellow MTB'er posted Heritage is ready to ride. I'm going there this weekend for the first time to check it out.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7183&start=75#p852733
//Kazie on black'n'copper '11 Epic 'GAIA V2'
Kazie

Postby b_b » April 10th, 2014, 1:24 pm

Genetic_ wrote:Image

Wow that's ugly!
b_b

Postby Genetic_ » April 10th, 2014, 1:43 pm

That was at the road crossing nearest the 7 and Beck intersection
Genetic_

Postby hygienist48169 » April 11th, 2014, 7:56 am

[quote="b_b"][quote="hygienist48169"]I haven't been out to ride at Maybury for many years and want to know if trail is well marked to not get lost! Thanks![/quote]
Yes It's just one loop with a numerous mileage markers. There's one cut-off option and there's a map there. Just stay LEFT and you will ride the full loop back to start. It also crosses or parallels paved paths often where you can bail out and get back quickly. The paved paths are well marked at all intersections with maps.[/quote]

Thank you for the information. Now to wait till appropriate trail conditions :|
hygienist48169

Postby b_b » April 11th, 2014, 9:00 am

Sure. Hit up Hick Glen not very far away is good to go!
b_b

Postby DNR_Maybury » April 11th, 2014, 11:50 am

its officially OPEN. a few fat-bikes would be appreciated to help flatten those trouble spots. minus a few sticks on the trail its really not bad. Thanks for your help with this Don.
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby chisbang » April 11th, 2014, 12:16 pm

Thanks Trevor. I'll be out Sunday to try out my new hoe!
Don Chisholm
chisbang

Postby banditx552 » April 11th, 2014, 1:59 pm

"
its officially OPEN. a few fat-bikes would be appreciated to help flatten those trouble spots. minus a few sticks on the trail its really not bad. Thanks for your help with this Don.

For the statement above, is Maybury open, or was that in reference to Hickory Glen?
banditx552

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 11th, 2014, 2:11 pm

AAAWWWEEEESSSOOOOMMMMMMEEEEE!!!!
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Postby chisbang » April 11th, 2014, 2:23 pm

banditx552 wrote:"

For the statement above, is Maybury open, or was that in reference to Hickory Glen?

MAYBURY
Don Chisholm
chisbang

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments