MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Maybury

Postby drbrockenshire » February 8th, 2010, 8:37 pm

Well, the trail was awesome yesterday and today. Of course the "pending" snowfall could be an issue.

Hoping the snowshoes pack it down?
drbrockenshire

Postby Steve_Balogh » February 14th, 2010, 6:51 pm

Sunday, 2/15

Conditions at Maybury today seem to change depending which "third" of the trail ridden. I started where the trail is closest to the Beck road parkinglot, and that section up to the shelter by 7mile&Beck was pretty ugly. Lots of hiker tracks mixed with some skis, left me walking quite a few places. After the shelter, all the way to the main trailhead, quite different. All packed down by skis. A bit slow as the snow was still deep, but a much better ride, I did little walking. After that point back to where I started I found more snowshoe tracks and some ski track, but not the mass of hiker tracks like I found earlier. Slow conditions, would not want to ride a normal MTB on that section I started on, but patience might prevail for anyone wanting to try it this week.
Steve_Balogh

Postby daffunda » March 16th, 2010, 2:43 pm

3/16

I talked to a runner at work who was at Maybury yesterday, trails are nowhere near acceptable for riding as your foot sinks just putting half of your weight on it. (duh :roll: )

So, maybe in a week and a half, it may be rideable. Until then, road time.
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
daffunda

Postby jgerhardt » March 17th, 2010, 9:20 am

I just rode the first half of the trail yesterday and while there was a couple of spots that were a little muddy over all the trail was in pretty good shape...

I would have ridden the whole thing except for the unfortunate happing of a broken chain AND rear pulley...
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/4440935824_c335260651.jpg
"There is nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come." -- Victor Hugo
jgerhardt

Postby bringjustn » March 19th, 2010, 12:52 pm

Has anyone rode maybury yesterday or today? With the warm weather and the sun out I'm thinking about a evening ride up there if it is dry before the rain hits tomorrow
bringjustn

Postby spin doctor » March 19th, 2010, 3:52 pm

Just came off the trail. 95% of it is high and dry and in good shape. The other 5% is occasional soft softs in the usual places, but you can go around them to avoid creating any ruts. Accidentally ran over a worm in the middle of the trail, so it must be in good shape.

There is one tree across the trail, so be careful. Roughly four miles in from the 8 mile trailhead, but my GPS wasn't charged so I can't provide a more precise mile mark.
spin doctor

Re: Metro South: Maybury - OFFICIAL TRAIL COORDINATOR REPORT

Postby Sherpaboy » March 19th, 2010, 7:04 pm

****************************************OFFICIAL TRAIL COORDINATOR REPORT *******************************
3/19/2010
Okay I jut rode the trail and it is OPEN for business. The trail is in great shape, no muddy spots to speak of. There are a few (VERY FEW) soft spots that you can see the raised trad or where bikes have heaved the dirt up a little. Please do me and all of us a favor...ride the trail and middle of trail if possible.

(1) Tree down about a 1/4 mile after the new bridges we put in last spring. I'll see if we can get removed by next week.

but you can go around them to avoid creating any ruts.

DO NOT GO AROUND SOFT SPOTS! Trust me you won't create any ruts...In fact you'll help pack down and smooth out the few ruts that are there. The ground is in a semi-soft state, which is perfect time to smooth the trails out a bit before they harden. Also by skirting the soft areas you are only widening the trail, and opening it for more possible damage in the future.
Your mountain bikers for God's sake - buck up, ride the trail, and stop being all fancy pants about some soft dirt :D

I came off the trail with ZERO mud on my bike or even tires.

Now the disclaimer:
Even though the trail is officially ride able and considered open for the season...We all know that Spring brings lots of rain. Please ride smart and if it is rains avoid riding the trails for a min of 24 hours after the rain stops. If it rains for a few days then add another 24 hours on top of that. This should allow time for the rain water to perk down into the ground, dry out the surface trail and prevent erosion and pizza cutters. If you have any questoion as to the conditions check this forum, have a back up ride plane, or just wait it out.

Thank you for your help and cooperation.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby ibisman » March 20th, 2010, 7:48 am

yeah, what he, said you weenies with your trailer queens all new and polished up. :roll:
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby daffunda » March 20th, 2010, 9:55 am

Rode Friday. Condition was probably better than August time frame... minus the tree. I like the Limeys at the end.

Disappointed that the beginning part the tree toppled over, and ripped the step up root out of the trail, making the section easier..... :roll:
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
daffunda

Postby MikeBl » March 20th, 2010, 4:07 pm

Perfect conditions, firm surface, just the right amount of moisture, no mud or greasy areas. One trail obstruction but easily seen.
Ventana El Toro/Burton Custom X - Two of my three favoriite rides
MikeBl

Postby Chi » March 20th, 2010, 4:50 pm

Trail condition was perfect. No mud to speak of, everything hard packed. Super fast condition...to bad I'm slow.
Chi

Postby bbarel » March 21st, 2010, 6:16 am

Rode Friday. Condition was probably better than August time frame... minus the tree. I like the Limeys at the end.
Disappointed that the beginning part the tree toppled over, and ripped the step up root out of the trail, making the section easier.....

That tree root ripped up last year. Nothing get's by you lol. Hmmm I might have to hit the dirt for the 1st time this year today. Thanks for the update.
bbarel

Postby dirtmuncher » March 21st, 2010, 12:47 pm

The trail was perfect today, other than the tree down. Rode at 9am and there were no mud puddles.

Get out and ride!
dirtmuncher

Postby bbarel » March 21st, 2010, 12:58 pm

+1 rode at 9:30 and just a few soft spots but was getting dryer by my last loop. I bet it will be 100% dry this afternoon.
bbarel

Postby Happy2BRiding » March 21st, 2010, 3:21 pm

Did the best I could with my little folding saw to clean up the downed tree. It's not perfect, I didn't have a big enough blade to get rid of it all but at least it's rideable now.

Sherpa can make the call to either fine tune the pile I built or chainsaw it all out, whatever he thinks is best.
Happy2BRiding

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions