MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Maybury

Postby GFish72 » June 21st, 2009, 11:37 pm

There are some soft spots and avoidable muddy areas except for those 2 big mud pits towards the end.
GFish72

Postby Sherpaboy » June 22nd, 2009, 8:02 am

There are some soft spots and avoidable muddy areas except for those 2 big mud pits towards the end.

Please don't "avoid" the muddy areas...your only making things worse! If you are going to ride after a major rain like we had this week then own it! Ride through the muddy spots, don't puss out around them. Your only making the trail wider and the muddy spots wider as well. Stop It!
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby msujay1997 » June 26th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Looking to ride Maybury tomorrow morning...has anyone been out there today?
msujay1997

Postby GFish72 » June 26th, 2009, 11:31 pm

Sherpaboy wrote:

Please don't "avoid" the muddy areas...your only making things worse! If you are going to ride after a major rain like we had this week then own it! Ride through the muddy spots, don't puss out around them. Your only making the trail wider and the muddy spots wider as well. Stop It!

I should've been more specific. Sorry. When I meant "avoidable muddy areas", those are just small spots along the trail that you can hit or miss. There's enough room on the trail to ride on those and I didn't mean to avoid it like going to the grass or making a whole new route.
GFish72

Postby Sherpaboy » June 30th, 2009, 3:36 pm

Thanks for the clarification Gfish72.

Now just FYI with the help of Brian Brown and Rick Bowling this morning we were able to fix the mud pit at the end of the trail. We disassembled and old non used rock pile just before the end of the trail. Using the rather large boulders and rocks we armored the mud pit and cleared off some of the gooey mud. Ride the rocks they are quite smooth and can use some extra packing. If you run it wide you'll end up in the mud...so stay in the middle to right hand side of the trail there.

Thanks again to Brian and Rick...
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby Nooge » June 30th, 2009, 7:50 pm

Can someone describe this trail to me. Is it single track or double? Is it more straight or tight and twisty? Hardpack, loose rocks, sandy, rocks and roots?
Is there another place it could be compared to for reference? I am familiar with Stoney Creek, Addison, Bald Mt, Pontiac Lake and Highlands.
Also, the MMBA trail page says 6.5+ miles but the race information says 8+ miles, which one is more accurate?

I am interested in checking out this trail, but it is quite a hike from Oakland Township. I want to know if it's worth doing and what to be prepared for.
Nooge

Postby risnewski » June 30th, 2009, 8:19 pm

Maybury is single track and is quite tight and twisty. It's a fun trail that is getting more fun every year. For the race, some two track and pavement is added to get some extra mileage. I have it on good authority that this year's time trial route may be close to 10 miles.

If you're coming from Oakland Township, you might consider pairing a ride at Maybury with one at the Tree Farm (I think it's listed in the trail guide as Lakeshore Park). The two trails are very close to each other and quite different in complexion. Tree Farm has some optional fun like Skinnies, rock piles and a large pump track.

Come on down--you'll have a great time.
risnewski

Postby utabintarbo » June 30th, 2009, 8:26 pm

I would describe Maybury as a twistier Pontiac Lake with smaller hills. The hills are more similar to the Back Nine at Stony.
utabintarbo

Postby Sherpaboy » June 30th, 2009, 9:36 pm

Normal trail is 6.5 miles +/- of single track. The Race course is longer because we get permission to use other parts of the park for the day of the event only.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby mxsimps » July 1st, 2009, 7:09 am

Great job to all on the repair at the end of the trail. I rode it Tuesday afternoon expecting it to be really soft. Hopefully the channels that were created will funnel the water across the trail rather than down it. Thanks again for your efforts.
mxsimps

Postby Nooge » July 1st, 2009, 8:07 pm

risnewski wrote:Maybury is single track and is quite tight and twisty. It's a fun trail that is getting more fun every year. For the race, some two track and pavement is added to get some extra mileage. I have it on good authority that this year's time trial route may be close to 10 miles.

If you're coming from Oakland Township, you might consider pairing a ride at Maybury with one at the Tree Farm (I think it's listed in the trail guide as Lakeshore Park). The two trails are very close to each other and quite different in complexion. Tree Farm has some optional fun like Skinnies, rock piles and a large pump track.

Come on down--you'll have a great time.

Actually I did ride Tree Farm already (and it took me a bit to figure out the Lakeshore Park bit). The random technical parts were fun, including the pump track. There was a massive log pile at the end that I wasn't quite able to master.

[quote=utabintarbo]I would describe Maybury as a twistier Pontiac Lake with smaller hills. The hills are more similar to the Back Nine at Stony.[/quote]

Sounds like it's worth while. Might have to ride it twice to get a good workout. Or maybe I will hop over to Tree Farm after.
Nooge

Postby Sherpaboy » July 1st, 2009, 9:56 pm

Maybury is a harder work out in one lap than the Tree Farm...More elevation than TF = More effort. At least I find Maybury to be a higher heart rate trail.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby BLOOMIS914 » July 1st, 2009, 10:00 pm

Rode Maybury Wednesday between 730-830am....Course was excellent. Thanks so much to those who fixed the muddy area near the fast/flowy area near Beck Road. It was always a big momentum killer and now you can rip through that section.

Also nearly killed a jogger right before the most recent work that was done to the mudpit area at the very end. I was flying along a nice fast section and took a Right-hander at about 12-13 mph and had a near miss with a jogger running at me. I spontaneously yelled J-C and he dove into the brush and I just kept going, never had a chance to hit the brake.

Who has the right of way? Aren't these MTB specific trails? Can I ride my MTB on the hiking trails? I laughed at first but as I thought about it we both could have got hurt pretty good if we hit. I wanted to go back and give him an earful, but I am older and wiser now and wasn't 100% sure if he was in the right or wrong....10 years ago it would have been ugly regardless. I do try to set a good example for all of us MTB'rs.
BLOOMIS914

Postby Felt29er » July 2nd, 2009, 5:38 am

I have been down this road before and understand your concern. Joggers are allowed on the "multi-use" trails which the Maybury MTB trail is and jogging reverse to biking direction is what is recommended (but not required from what I understand). I, personnally, would not jog on a trail where mountain bikers are coming at me. However, the biker technincally is at fault if there is an incident because we are supposed to "yield" to anything/one on the trail and be "in control". This is not practical in my opinion unless you slow roll every blind corner while riding. I will never ride like this because I am always trying to better my times and keep my heartrate up. There is no good answer for this other than banning jogging on the trail. That will never happen as hiking/jogging on a trail came long before MTB trails. All you can do is keep a finger on the brake at all times and hope your timing is not bad.

Typically, MTBers are not allowed on designated hiking trails. I wish joggers were not allowed on MTB trails, especially Maybury.
Felt29er

Postby daffunda » July 2nd, 2009, 6:11 am

No matter what the situation is, MTBr's are always at fault if there is an incident.

Hikers have the right of way, and equestrians also have the right of way over mtbs and hikers. I got yelled at by the old dude wearing a cowboy hat on a horse at proud lake during a massive ride, although I stopped to yield first as soon as I saw him. He got ticked that his horse got spooked by me. He was an a-hol anyways, probably hate mountain bikers for some reason.

Good that you really didn't give him an earful, but please don't think about doing that in the future. I really don't want hikers cussing at me every time I ride by, or have them throw sticks on the trail as an malicious act.
daffunda

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions