MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Maybury

Postby Felt29er » June 13th, 2009, 11:46 am

Yeh, those big wheels pick up a lot of mud. I am all 29er would never go back to the little wheel. Smoother, better traction, more stable and overall way faster. Also, everyone who I know that has converted absolutely loves it.
Felt29er

Postby Felt29er » June 13th, 2009, 11:50 am

Now you did it. This thread is going to turn into a 26" vs 29" wheel debate. :)
Felt29er

Postby Sherpaboy » June 13th, 2009, 1:10 pm

Maybe we will try and create a bypass tonight.

Please don't!

Just ride through the puddle...your not going to make the puddle any worse...unless you ride around it or create a bypass.

We'll (MMBA Maybury trail coordinators) try to get out there and repair it ASAP.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby Augie » June 13th, 2009, 5:06 pm

Saw some gravel out there in the pit now? Still muddy, and no way to "get around" it. I saw a lot of dirty bikes and bikers today.
Augie

Postby EnRaz » June 14th, 2009, 10:33 am

Augie wrote:I saw a lot of mountain bikes being used for their intended purpose today

fixed :)
EnRaz

Postby gman122889 » June 14th, 2009, 2:37 pm

I rode here today...trying to introduce my sister to the world of mountain biking! Trail is great only one problem. I'm not sure how to get to the trail head. I came in off of beck road and ended up parking near the horse stable and picked up the trail somwhere south of there...I'm not sure where it really starts or ends. I just kind of rode around for a while until I got back where I started. Does anyone have some good directions to the actual trail head? Other than not finding the trail head its a pretty nice trail. I'm a first timer there, I usually ride out at Pontiac or Island Lake but needed somewhere to take a beginner. There are a few trees a little bit close to the trail that got me hitting the brakes a little bit hard and leaning but that just makes it more fun!
gman122889

Postby Augie » June 14th, 2009, 5:46 pm

EnRaz wrote:
Augie wrote:I saw a lot of mountain bikes being used for their intended purpose today

fixed :)

LMAO 8 D
Augie

Postby Augie » June 14th, 2009, 5:50 pm

gman122889 wrote:I rode here today...trying to introduce my sister to the world of mountain biking! Trail is great only one problem. I'm not sure how to get to the trail head. I came in off of beck road and ended up parking near the horse stable and picked up the trail somwhere south of there...I'm not sure where it really starts or ends. I just kind of rode around for a while until I got back where I started. Does anyone have some good directions to the actual trail head? Other than not finding the trail head its a pretty nice trail. I'm a first timer there, I usually ride out at Pontiac or Island Lake but needed somewhere to take a beginner. There are a few trees a little bit close to the trail that got me hitting the brakes a little bit hard and leaning but that just makes it more fun!

Use the 8 mile entrance of the park (West of Beck). Go past the ticket shed, make a left at the stop sign, park as far to the left as you can. Take your bike past the yellow gated paved trail, keeping to the left of the playground area. Follow the paved trail straight back to the trailhead. There are a few signs to guide you.

From that Beck side, go down the gravel road. Just past the dam guardrail, on the left, there is an entrance too. Right across from the dirt path to the fishing docks.
Augie

Postby jumpstumper » June 16th, 2009, 11:09 am

I rode Maybury yesterday (Monday) evening and the trail was in great condition. It felt very fast. The mud pit at the end of the loop is much improved. It looked like there had been a minimal amount of gravel or crushed limestone put down. Also, it appears to be drying out some on its own and people are riding through as they should rather than bushwacking around. The rest of the trail is dry. Hopefully, the rain that we are supposed to get over the next few days doesn't result in a big set back, as far as the mud pit is concerned. Get out and enjoy tonight!
jumpstumper

Postby daffunda » June 16th, 2009, 9:03 pm

Best trail condition ever Tuesday 6/16 PM. Mud pit at the end was moist but packed, everywhere else was just right.

It seems like anything after 48 hours after heavy rain will be good.
daffunda

Postby kcnado » June 18th, 2009, 9:41 am

daffunda wrote:It seems like anything after 48 hours after heavy rain will be good.

AGREED! So hopefully, if the rain holds off today, then the trail will be good-2-go tonight
kcnado

Postby daffunda » June 18th, 2009, 11:05 am

kcnado wrote:
daffunda wrote:It seems like anything after 48 hours after heavy rain will be good.

AGREED! So hopefully, if the rain holds off today, then the trail will be good-2-go tonight

Not tonight. It rained early 6/18 before sun was up, and rained 6/17 pretty much all day.

I was going to say 6/19, (if no rain on 6/19, which is not going to happen) but I'm no advocate. There will be the usual mud spots and puddles today, probably not the prime condition that everyone wants. Your bike will be covered in decent amount of mud after the ride is my guess.

Try hitting commerce today. I may end up commerc-ing today instead of Maybury-ing.
daffunda

Postby BikerRisa » June 18th, 2009, 11:38 am

did it rain overnight last night in the maybury area? it was done at my house in ypsi by dinner
BikerRisa

Postby kcnado » June 19th, 2009, 1:56 pm

Just tried to get a lap in. It was almost too wet to truly enjoy.

Its supposed to rain some more tonight, so my guess, it will need some time to dry out.

The one place that was nice n dry!?? The newly built bridge of '09! Its holding up nice!
kcnado

Postby daffunda » June 20th, 2009, 8:03 am

With the drench we got on Friday night, I would say if no more rain, Monday evening would be nice and prime.
daffunda

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions