MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Maybury

Postby Felt29er » June 12th, 2009, 7:19 am

Post up conditions if you ride Maybury today. Curious as to how yesterday's rain effected the trail conditions. Specificaly, how much the huge mudhole at the very end has grown.
Felt29er

Postby nolan » June 12th, 2009, 8:15 am

I rode yesterday before the rains and that mudd hole was a mess. Be especially careful today.
nolan

Postby GC » June 12th, 2009, 8:33 am

I rode Maybury on Tuesday evening and that mud pit at the end before the short climb out had become rather large with a fair amount of standing water. With rain the last couple days that area is getting no relief. The rest of the trail was in really good shape then. Just a few small muddy areas and a few small puddles. The trail layout and maintenance that is done there is terrific; however, that mud pit at the end needs a fix. Others have suggested bridges and stone like the most recent fix. I think it will be a few days before that area drains. May want to avoid until then.
GC

Postby Felt29er » June 12th, 2009, 9:28 am

Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid that pit. One trip through it really messes up the bike too. No way to even walk around it. It should be interesting tonight......
Felt29er

Postby Ea » June 12th, 2009, 10:06 am

It's really slimy and stinky mud, too. Blech!
Ea

Postby ibisman » June 12th, 2009, 11:27 am

yep, real shame to get your "mountain bike " dirty.
ibisman

Postby Felt29er » June 12th, 2009, 11:46 am

I-man, dirty is one thing. Caked with thick mud is another. You should be out riding instead of posting. That way, you could give an actual trail update instead of a sarcastic comment. Although, seems like things will be much worse after yesterday. I may avoid after all because I cannot have my bike get "dirty".
Felt29er

Postby kcnado » June 12th, 2009, 1:28 pm

So should we call it an "avoid" for tonight?! Or think the sun has helped it dry out a bit already??

It didnt rain very hard in northern Oakland County, but I have no idea what went on in this area last night.
kcnado

Postby EnRaz » June 12th, 2009, 1:37 pm

I haven't been out to Maybury today so I can't say for sure, but I would bet the mud pit still has some standing water with a layer of slick mud underneath. The string of dry days we had before the last few rainy days didn't really serve to dry up that spot very quickly. With the amount of rain we saw yesterday (sustained periods of heavy rain), I don't think it has any chance of drying out for at LEAST another few days.

Hope I'm wrong though. Post up if you make it out there. :)
EnRaz

Postby kcnado » June 12th, 2009, 1:40 pm

EnRaz wrote:I haven't been out to Maybury today so I can't say for sure, but I would bet the mud pit still has some standing water with a layer of slick mud underneath. The string of dry days we had before the last few rainy days didn't really serve to dry up that spot very quickly. With the amount of rain we saw yesterday (sustained periods of heavy rain), I don't think it has any chance of drying out for at LEAST another few days.

Hope I'm wrong though. Post up if you make it out there. :)

The whole trail, or just the mud pit? The mud pit, I can walk around.

Sorry... getting antsy, been sick and havent ridden for over a week now.....

Thanks!
kcnado

Postby Ea » June 12th, 2009, 1:54 pm

kcnado wrote:The whole trail, or just the mud pit? The mud pit, I can walk around.

Thanks!

I was at Maybury on Wednesday and the only muddy spot was that pit. If I were you, I'd go ride there!
Ea

Postby EnRaz » June 12th, 2009, 1:59 pm

kcnado wrote:The whole trail, or just the mud pit? The mud pit, I can walk around.

Thanks!

No worries. I was in the same boat a couple weeks ago, and that first ride afterward felt GREAT!

I was speaking only about the mud pit, which I would argue cannot be avoided, especially with as much rain as we had yesterday.

I'm sure there are some slightly slick/tacky spots elsewhere, but nothing to keep you off the trail. The mud pit at the end is normally the only part of the trail that refuses to dry out & forces you to get dirty.

I'm with ibisman though... ride through it and just be glad to be back out on the trail!
EnRaz

Postby Felt29er » June 12th, 2009, 3:13 pm

The only BAD part of it is the one mud pit. Not really any walk around, your shoes would be covered. I am going anyhow since the rest of the trail should be ridable. I will post up later on the conditions. Maybe we will try and creat a bypass tonight.
Felt29er

Postby Felt29er » June 13th, 2009, 7:02 am

Rode it last night. Trail is in good shape. A coupel of wet spots but nothing that really slows you down until the now infamous mud pit at the end. It was not that bad and it is better to take the line to the left. That area was no worse last night than it was on Tuesday.... just ride through it.
Felt29er

Postby ibisman » June 13th, 2009, 11:22 am

And...... we all know how sllooowwww those 29" wheels already are so you don't want to load them up with mud eh felt 29er?
ibisman

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions